“Things I wish I did differently/brought with me” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de Glace

You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #26 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Toronto, Canada
“Things I wish I did differently/brought with me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I drove from Toronto, and stayed in a hotel in Quebec City the first night, and we stayed at Hotel de Glace the second night. I realized it would have been smarter to book Hotel de Glace for the first night, and the hotel in Quebec city the second night. If you have a third night, I would suggest sandwiching the experience between two normal hotel stays, which is what another couple we spoke to did.

Snow shoes are available to borrow for free, so I suggest trying that out too. The trail is not that long - took about half an hour with us getting lost a bit, but I found that it helped me warm up quite a bit right before hitting the hot tub that night. I wore my snow pants at that time, and I found people walking around with their snow pants the whole day. We hit up the hot tub and dry sauna prior to going to bed to warm up.

For sleeping, bring items that are not made out of cotton, including non-cotton socks! Cotton absorbs moisture, so if you sweat while inside the sleeping bag, the moisture will be trapped on what you're wearing and will become cold eventually. I only had cotton socks so I went barefeet, and that caused me to doze on and off about 10 times that night. I wore my cotton socks eventually in the middle of the night, but by then I was already too cold. A couple I spoke to the next morning said they brought small heat packs for the hands and feet. They slept really well through the night because of that. Of course, another tip to stay warm is to drink some alcoholic beverage prior to sleeping.

The sleeping bags have velcro on upper right side. I suggest wearing something that will not catch on it. I wore a knitted sweater. I stuggled when zipping/adjusting my bag because I kept getting caught on the velcro.

I wore a ski mask but I didn't find that too comfortable. My boyfriend wore something similar to the Russian Ushanka winter hats, and he slept really well. A neck wrap would also be nice because it'll keep your neck warm through the night.

Other than those things I could have done differently, the experience was amazing. I'd definitely recommend it because it's a unique experience and the staff are amazingly helpful and informative to make sure you're quite comfortable during your stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just back from our stay at the Ice Palace. Ice carved ambience is unique and an unforgettable experience! We are already talking about our next visit.With good preparation, we had no problem with the cold either while touring the castle, or enjoying ice cider in the Ice Bar, or the overnight stay. The instructions and equipment provided easily handled the ice cold conditions.

Changing for the recommended pre-sleep hot tub dip was a little chaotic as the facilities are little cramped. However, this was anight when the hotel was completely booked. Recommend bringing his and her clothes bags and two padlocks for temporary storage of clothing while at the spa. We had a package which included a standby hotel room as well as dinner and breakfast. This was well worth it as we were about to enjoy a delicious meal prior to heading to the ice palace and a relaxed shower and breakfast the morning after.

Worth a visit or overnight stay!

Room Tip: Go for a package as described above. You get a fabulous ice palace room with a themed carving.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel de glace is super cool. I did not stay the night but had the behind the scenes tour. A bit dry at times but cool to understand how it all pulls together. If you love winter and cold temperatures this is a sight to see. I am more of a summer person but i would definetely consider spending a night for the experience. It is only 10 minutes driving from centre-ville and you get to make your own ice glass.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
sask Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed here on Jan 30-2013, it had rained most of the afternoon and was actually cooler inside the hotel than outside. The intricate work and detail that goes into making of this hotel is incredible, pictures do not do it justice at all. We had a dog sledding package but were unable to go dogsledding due to the weather , but the staff at the hotel de Glace and the staff at the Four Seasons Sheraton were fabulous and helpful and they rescheduled it for another day. We recieved unlimited shuttles back and forth from the Four Season Sheraton with our package. The four course meal we recieved with our package was outstanding, we had the Filet Mignon. The breakfast we recieved with the package was served at the four seasons hotel and I must say it was one of the best breakfast I have ever tasted!
We used the hot tubs and the sauna before going to bed, and found that we were actually almost too warm. The only thing was they are not the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on they are very hard, but that is to be expected.
It is definitely worth a visit, I would recommend booking a package and recieving all the perks that go with the package.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodlawn, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Well, mixed feelings about this one- of- a- kind hotel. It is a novelty to stay in an extravagant igloo but a novelty one can do very much without. The work and detail going into creating this ueber igloo can be appreciatet and touring it is great fun. To stay overnight is not so much fun. The adjacent brick and mortar building one registers, changes, showers and eats is more impersonal than a train station hall. The building has no atmosphere whatsoever, it is utter disappointing. One has to prepare for sleeping in mummie sleeping bags and this necessiates locking ones suitcases in lockers. If you forgot something for the night, it means going back and forth between cold and warm. It is a glorified winter camping. The breakfast leaves much to be desired for. One would expect a nice breakfast after a cold and uncomfortable night, but all one gets is a self serve breakfast with plastic cutlery. The rates are very unreasonably high for what the hotel offers. Save your money and only tour the hotel, forget about staying overnight.

Room Tip: Just tour the hotel, don't stay overnight
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This place is a must to go and visit! Amazing sculptures and concept! Fun place as well with the slippery dip and bar to enjoy a drink in a frozen glass! Dress well as it is cold but everything is very enjoyable!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We went in the evening, which I recommend. It's lit up and becomes very magical. Bundle up...even thought it's only -4C inside, it's damp, which makes it feel colder. Some of the more expensive rooms have wonderful ice carvings. Truly a work of art. The chapel is a great idea for weddings, which we were told they do about 24 each year. Drinks in the ice glass was a neat idea. We were told that we should keep the glass as it melts and therefore makes the glass larger...aka...you can fit more drink refills into them!! Not sure if I would want to sleep there, but definately worth seeing.

Room Tip: Couldn't imagine sleeping here, but I hear that many people do enjoy the experience
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel de Glace? Share your experiences!