“Didn't Stay -- Unique Tourist Site” 4 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Hotel de Glace to your Saves list
Hotel de Glace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9530, rue de la Faune, Quebec City, Quebec G1G 5H9, Canada   |
Ranked #21 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Didn't Stay -- Unique Tourist Site”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

If you enjoy the concept of sculpture in ice and enjoy some novelty, this is a good activity for a couple of hours. Make sure to wear warm clothes and insulated shoes. Everything in this place is literally ice cold.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Sudbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

We have always wanted to stay in an "ice hotel" so when our family gave us a Groupon for a night at Hotel de Glace, we were thrilled. Despite the unseasonally warm weather and rainy night, we enjoyed ourselves immensely and experienced the best night's sleep we've had in years. No light, no sound, nice and warm = good sleep. The person at the registration desk was incredibly helpful and we were issued a pass that enabled us to move around the hotel at our leisure, enjoy hot chocolate/coffee/tea and snacks in the overnight guests area, take tours, play games and drowse by the fire.

The hotel is amazing - creatively conceived, carved, and crafted. We loved the theme of First Nations that permeates this year's decor and our tour guide was knowledgable and friendly. After dining at a suggested (and very delicious) restaurant - La Traite in Wendake - we returned for orientation on how to use the sleeping bags and stay dry and warm in the 26 degree temperatures, quite a challenge on a rainy night. The lodge is clean, modern and warm - could use more tables and room for us high-maintenance girls who need hairdrying and make up to feel human in the morning.

A tip for anyone staying over - bring nothing into the lodge (they give you lockers) except your clothing on your back, your bathing suit, whatever you are sleeping in - recommend synthetic long johns, underwear, socks and a hat - and your toiletries. Leave everything else in the car. We dragged all of our luggage in and shouldn't have. Too much trouble.

After a warm and wet outdoor hot tub and a hot, dry sauna, we changed in the lodge and settled into our room for a comfy night. Breakfast is rather a cafeteria-style affair - could use a food upgrade. Our passes were good for wandering around the hotel all day, participating in a variety of outdoor activities and communing with the huskies that were on exhibit by a local dog-sled company (that's another experience we recommend).

We loved this one-of-a-kind experience and highly recommend it to people with curiosity and adventuresome spirit!

Room Tip: You can tour the gorgeous themed rooms all day but for sleeping (and that is all you can do in the r...
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

The hotel represents the best of technology, nature & art. Went for the day & was well worth it. The ice blocks were pure & clear with magnificent carvings. The rooms are one of a kind. Kids loved the indoor slide, the outdoor slide, maze & igloo. The Sugar Shack was generous with the maple taffy which you make on the snow. The entry fee lets you have access all day, so you make come back & see the night lights. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I bought this trip via a groupon and tried to cancel as my spouse is sick. They were not sympathetic, were very unhelpful and pretty much told me "too bad." They offered to allow me to pay $175/pp to come back at another time. So, basically I would have to pay $350 in addition to the $200 I paid for to come back at another time... Rude, rude, rude. Not worth it.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

The hotel is really a work of art, the themed suites are amazing. We stayed here with our two children in the Owl suite. It was a great experience. You can go in juring the day but that is when it is open for public viewing, the public leaves at 7:00 pm and you can see your room around 8:00 or 9:00. While you waite there is an information session on how to sleep there, a bar, as well as activities. When you are ready for bed they suggest you have a hot tub then a sauna, both on the premises, then get ready for bed. You sleep in a "mummy" sleeping bag, very warm but very constricting. The only problem I had was that I had a few beers at the bar and woke up having to go, it is a little way to the toilets. My son and I did not last the whole night, he was too hot and I did not go back after my second bathroom run, my wife and daughter had no problems at all. If I had a complaint it would be the powdered egg breakfast they served, for the money you pay it was very disappointing. It was a once in a life time experience, I would not do it again but I am glad I did it!

Room Tip: Get a room near the welcome center, the washrooms are a lot closer. The themed rooms are nice but yo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Great experience, once in a lifetime!

Try to get there by at least 4pm, where you will have a guided tour of the ice hotel. The last tours are 3pm, 4pm and 5pm, so you'll have to get in for one of those.

There is then an information session for 1/2 hr to tell you the rules of how to sleep at the hotel comfortably, this is after the tour and before you sleep for the night. You must attend this as they go over how to use the sleeping bag, etc.

Really beautiful rooms and hotel. The carvings were outstanding. Really magical place! Daytime was beautiful, and when the sun went down and the coloured lights went on it was truley magical! I took hundreds of pictures!

I'm usually cold, so I chose to sleep in in a wool turtleneck top and wool long johns (light merano wool) and a second layer of thick fuzzy acrylic top and bottoms. I also slept in thick wool socks. I was comfy and warm all the night (after sitting in a hot tub first, to increase body temp, as is recommeded).

Once in sleeping bag, it was hard to get comfy. You're in a "mummy sleeping bag", so you can't move around too much. I finally settled on my back.

First thing I noticed that although my body was toasty, my face and nose got very very cold. Your face is completely exposed to the cold air. I eventually put a glove over my nose/mouth to keep it warm. You're not supposed to breath into your sleeping bag (it'll get humid inside, which will make you become cold), so have something to be able to lightly put over your nose as I heard many people complain of freezing cold noses. If I had known, I would have brought a scarf or a face mask of some kind because it was really uncomfortable. My throat began to hurt as well, from the cold. Now, a few days later, my throat still hurts and is feeling infected. So bring something for your face and mouth, to shield you from the cold.

I had a fireplace in my suite, but it was a waste of money. The fire is only on for a short time, and you're really not spending time in your room until it's bedtime (there are activities from 9-10:30pm in the bar). So after the activities, most people would take a hot tub and then go to their rooms by about 11 or 11:30. Well, by that time the fire is out anyway, as it burns really quick.

Just before I went into the hot tub, I discovered my fire had gone out and I hadn't really enjoyed it yet, so I went to the desk to ask for more firewood and they said they'd set it up for me. Once I was in my pjs, I found my fire hadn't been re-lit. So I saw my fireplace lit for a total of about 5 mins (was beautiful when lit however!). So don't bother with the fireplace, everyone gets candles which are lovely too. They charge quite a bit more for the fireplace, and you don't get anything for the extra money you've spent.

I had a hard time falling asleep, but remained warm (my body, anyway). When I woke up at about 6:30 and went to the Celcius lounge, I discovered 2 people sleeping on chairs - they didn't make it through the night. I'm not sure of how many end up leaving during the night.

Great experience! Would I do it again, no - but I am glad I did it once!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This is not a review for sleeping overnight. We came here on a quiet winter day for a tour so it was easy to walk around the narrow corridors and not bump into many visitors. The snow carvings are quite amazing, the artists really know their craft. We only walked by one closed off, occupied room and could hear a man snoring since there was no door to lock the room, just a curtain. That wouldn't be suitable if I were to sleep overnight. Can't comment on the restaurant or sugar shack as they were both closed. The bar had one server offering drinks at 11am! I declined although you could get non-alcoholic drinks. The separate cafe adjacent to the hotel had very slow service just to get a coffee. There was a small ice slide inside the hotel and a larger outdoor one both good for kids. This was a great day tour which only took under an hour to view as there wasn't much to see. The main building is very spacious with clean restrooms. The gift shop is very expensive catering to tourists with big wallets. You could also purchase the ice shot glasses but would need a cooler to transport them home to use. To view the hotel, you need to walk down a very steep hill but it seems to have wheelchair accessibility.

Room Tip: If you are sleeping overnight, inquire about room safety as the only room doors are curtains.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel de Glace? Share your experiences!