“Interesting mix” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Vancouver
“Interesting mix”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel has a very interesting history. You can read about it on the hotel's website. The current incarnation is an interesting mix of old and new that occupies 2 separate buildings which are connected at the elevator area.

My upper floor room (a room with a number ending in 07) was near the elevator but I didn't hear it. I think my room was built partly in one building and partly in another as I walked uphill when walking across the room.

The things I liked about my stay here included the heater in the bathroom (I love a warm bathroom in the morning), the big fridge in the room, the comfy bed, the excellent room cleaners (thank you again Danielle) and the larger size of the room. I was there for nearly 2 weeks so I was happy that I had a sitting area with a sofa and a padded chair.

The things I didn't like included the lack of light in the room (even on the sunniest day I felt like I was in a cave), the noisy air conditioner, and the poor layout of the room. The room was basically laid out all wrong (the bed was placed in front of the big window and the sitting area was in the dark) but, most importantly, someone placed the corner of the bed frame and the corner of the dresser way too close to each other. Both of which have sharp points right at shin level. There was no way to get to the clothes closet without hitting my leg on one or the other (see my picture).

The thing I found to be the most odd about my stay here was the hotel's handling of a bathrobe issue. I would have given the hotel higher marks had this been handled better.

The issue unfolded as follows. Whenever I travel I always forget something, usually nothing major, but this time it was a bathrobe. I asked the hotel for one. I was quite clearly told that my room did not include a bathrobe. I decided to try a second time so I asked again. This time I mentioned that I was staying in the hotel for an extended length of time. I was again told my room does not include a robe. Being there as long as I was, I asked a third time. This time a robe was delivered without hesitation. Apart from this, I had a great stay.

I also had a great meal in the hotel's restaurant, Chez Boulay.

Room Tip: Think about what view you want as the hotel has windows facing in many different directions.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Really nice hotel in Vieux-Québec. The street right outside the hotel (Rue Saint-Jean, I think) is lovely and is usually closed down to vehicular traffic. The whole surrounding area has a very charming atmosphere.
The facade looks very old-world and I thought that it was a very small hotel by judging from the exterior, but I was wrong. The staff are extremely kind and helpful and most of them spoke excellent English. They gave us great ideas to spend our time in Québec City. The restaurant is excellent, and although the waiters could not speak English, and we couldn't communicate very well, with our broken French, they were extremely kind. The food is delicious but the service could have been quicker.
The room was spacious enough for the four of us, but the bathroom was slightly cramped. However, we managed.
The Hertz car rental is right in the building, which we made use of by renting a car and driving to Montmorency Falls. The location in Québec is excellent, a small walk to most major tourist spots.
Overall, a nice stay and we'll recommend this hotel to anyone and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is newly renovated. The exterior is a blend of many different building facades and fits in well with the surrounding buildings. It is centrally located in old Quebec City. Our room overlooked Rue Saint-Jean which was closed off on the weekend as a pedestrian street. The room was very comfortable and clean.
The lobby entrance is off Cote du Palais. Ask when you reserve, how to gain entrance if you cannot climb stairs as there is a large staircase to reach the main lobby (perhaps through the restaurant?).
We did not eat at the hotel restaurant - but the menu looked delicious.
The staff were very helpful making restaurant reservations for us and giving us walking directions around town.
We would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tickfaw, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of Old Quebec, within easy walking distance to all sites. We stayed four nights and was more that satisfied with the location and price. It is neat, clean and the staff if fairly friendly, sometimes you just have to use a little broken French and English.

We ate at many restaurants throughout our stay, but never ate at the hotel. They are really proud of their place. Too proud, it would have cost & 45.00 just for breakfast. We found a little crepe shop right around the corner.

There are all kind of restaurants within three or four blocks of the hotel and a drugstore right around the corner also.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The taxi ride from the airport was $33 and the taxi was was very helpful and delivered us too the hotel.
The check in was very easy and all the staff were more than helpful, and we were shown to our room on the first floor. Just one thing watch out for the deals if you book line, we took advantage of a 50% off for the 3rd night, but when we arrived they comped us up again, a nice gesture.

There a nice restaurant on the lower floor ,the breakfasts were great. The other restaurant was recommended but we didn't get the opportunity to eat there as the choices in the town are huge, in fact that is what you fone here in the old town, where to eat,you will spoilt for choice

All in all a great stay,the staff were helpful, the room and facilities were well maintained and it's fairly central to most of the town, we would recommend this hotel and would love to return one day

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

On the whole our stay at this hotel was great, BUT was extremely bothered by the stairs, you had to climb to get into the foyer. At no stage was I offered any help and found this problem very disconcerting. As part of a tour group everything else was taken care of and our room was spacious comfortable and quiet.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ashland City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

From check-in to check-out we could not have enjoyed our stay more. Bernard was our Front Desk representative and he was fabulous. The entire trip was plagued by incorrect reservations made thru an on-line site but Bernard acted like it was no big deal and accommodated us at the confirmed price. He was funny and charming. The room was pleasant and well-appointed. Location to the Old City was perfect and all recommendations for restaurants were spot-on. Only had an opportunity to use the swimming pool which was welcome after a long day of climbing hills in Quebec. I would highly recommend this hotel - and will look forward to returning. Trust Bernard is given a High-5 for superior service. And we had no problem with the French. Everyone speaks English.........

Room Tip: Ask for Bernard.....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Manoir Victoria? Share your experiences!