“Outdated hotel with some issues” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Universel Quebec

Save Saved
You added Hotel Universel Quebec to your Saves list
Hotel Universel Quebec
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2300 Chemin Ste-foy, Quebec City, Quebec G1V 1S5, Canada   |
Ranked #73 of 97 hotels in Quebec City
Montreal, Canada
“Outdated hotel with some issues”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

*To be fair to the hotel, I went there in summer 2009, so I do not know how much of these issues still apply*

I stayed at Hotel Universel for business. When I arrived, I noticed right away that it looked a lot more like a Motel converted to a Hotel, at least from the outside and judging by the poorly placed parking on the side of the building.

We had reservations for 4 nights. I was given a room which had AC, but was clearly not functioning properly. I was then told that someone was working on the issue. I left the whole day for my work, came back early in the evening and noticed that the AC was still not functioning.
I then advised the front desk once again who told me to wait until the next morning for someone to fix it. The next day, I left for work again and when I came back, issue was still there. I was definitely not happy about it and complained again to the front desk, who moved me to another room, who also had the issue, and bad smells. I refused the room and got upgraded to a better room with a bigger LCD TV and a hot tub. Only then, did I started to enjoy my stay.
Unfortunately, not much of an apology was given by the staff, who didn't seem to care much about my problem.

My colleague did not have these issues and her room seemed to be in a better shape.

The main reason why I am giving this hotel a bad review is because had I not been upgraded to a better room, the standard room smelled bad, looked dirty and were not very welcoming. Also, the dispositions of the bed and desk were very strange, as they used the furniture to block another door that I had in my room, that connected to the neighbor's door.

In other words, unless you get a superior room at 170$/night, you might end up disappointed.

Hopefully, these issues have been reviewed in 2012, but I probably would not take the chance to go back. Get a room at Quartier hotel, or even better at Alt Hotel if you need to stay in Quebec city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking some time to review our hotel.
It is a little bit hard for us try to find out what the problem was with your AC and your room, since you stayed here more than three years ago.
However, we appreciate your writing this review. Thank you again.

157 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
BOTTESFORD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

As other reviewers have stated it is a bit far out, but the no7 bus is regular & 3 dollars one way is not OTT.
The bus takes you to the terminus and it is a short walk into the city.
TIP on your way into the city you walk past some excellent restaurants, these are the ones to eat in, they are better and cheaper.
The Greco attached restaurant is good value, but you will need to purchase your wine in the city or locally to take in.
The room was large and roomy with a large comfortable bed, very clean, towels and robes. Would have expected slippers for use of the pool, hot tub area.
Can be a bit noisy from the pool area, but the staff do keep it under control.

Room Tip: Chose the main building, but not overlooking the spa area if you want quiet up till 22.00hrs
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelUniversel, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.
Access to Old-Québec district is, as you wrote it, an easy 20-minute ride on bus 7, which you can catch right across the street.
We are glad you enjoyed your meal at Le Greco, which is indeed a Bring your own wine restaurant. The closest liquor store (SAQ) is a 10-minute walk from the hotel, but there is also a supermarket just five minutes from the hotel.
Our priority is to make sure or guests' needs are fulfilled, and we are always happy to hear about positive experiences like yours.
Thank you very much, we are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Iles de la Madeleine, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

It is my third stay at the Hôtel Universel Québec. It is located close to the university and the students surroundings, and close to a few bars. Hôtel has a free parking.

Everytime I rented a king size standard bedroom and I was never disapointed. They are well decorated, beds are comfotable, and they have everything you need : hair dryer, iron and ironing board, coffee machine, flat screen tv, and lots of pilows. Rooms has air conditionning but it is very noisy. Floor is made of carpet but it seems clean.

This time, the bedroom I had was a little bit run down, but nothing serious - broken hangers, scratched desk and table. There was a stain or 2 on the comforter but I took it out, it's too warm this season to sleep with one anyway - the sheets were clean though. But they should clean and inspect the white comforters.

If you book online in advance you will likely get a cheap deal - around 89$ +tx but if you book last minute the room cost can go up to around 150$ to 200$.

The best thing is the pool area - the design of the atrium is awesome. There are lots of tropical plants and tropical birds, rocks with water coming out of it, a suspended-bed hanging from logs and ropes, a cold water cave, a hot thub, and a swimming pool. The jacuzzi-part of the pool was not working, and the sprays of the cold thub were not working either. They were not working the last 2 times I stayed here either. The pool area has it's own towels, but bring your night coat if you want one the bedrooms don't have any.

The staff at the front desk is friendly and helpfull.

Overall I had a plesant stay and will come back again.

Room tip : 3rd and 4th floors do have better rooms.

Strongly avoid : the Greco restaurant next to the hôtel. I will never go there again as the food was uncooked, the staff was rude and the place was noisy as hell - very, very unpleasant. Reed the whole review in "Brochetterie Chez Greco". Bring your own food or go in the Old Town to eat - restaurants are way better out there for a better price and it's only about 10 mins drive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Good day,

We thank you for your comment about our hotel. Comments help us improve our services and facilities.

We are happy to know you enjoyed all your stays with us. Of course, comforters should never have any stain: a follow up will be done about it.

About the pool area, in fact, the cold tub doesn't have any spray, there is only a fall; the hot tub has sprays. We are also really happy to know you enjoyed your experience in the nordic spa.

Thank for the comment about our staff, we will share your comment with all our employees.

Finally, please take note that we will switch restaurant in early 2013, but since then, we will do our best to make our guest's experience the best we can.

In hoping to welcome you again

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel, is an older hotel with lots of rooms. The people at reception are very friendly and helpful,service with a smile. There is a well set out, indoor pool and spa area, with a very popular Greek Restaurant attached. The hotel is not far from other restaurants and a good supermarket, it is still a long bus trip into town and "Old Quebec City", but you don't have to change buses, it's just the one trip.
Our room was quite comfortable, it had a good bathroom, with good water pressure, free wifi, TV and coffee making facilities, no fridge. However we did hear the plumbing from surrounding rooms, which woke us up in the morning and the ends of the beds, had brackets jutting out, which probably had bed ends screwed to them at some stage, but my wife and I hit our feet and shins on them several times.
The hotel was okay, but you need transport to get to any tourist destinations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hello,

We thank you for your comments about our hotel. Comments are very important to us in order to improve our services and facilities.

We are happy to that you enjoyed your stay: the room, the spa area and the hotel's restaurant. It is true that we not down town, but as you said, it is really easy and fast to get there (one bus).

We hope you said your comment about the beds when you checked out, so we can fix the problem right away.

In hoping to welcome you again in our hotel

Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Our room was remodeled but some are not so ask to see the room. Easy access to downtown on #7 bus every 15 minutes. Greek restaurant is 1/2 price on Monday. Staff is helpful. There is a hot tub and sauna near the lobby. Good and free wifi.

• Stayed August 2012
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Good day,

We thank you for your comments about our hotel. Comments help us improve our services and facilities.

It is true that Old Quebec is easily accessible from our hotel even if the hotel is not directly down town. We are happy to know you enjoyed your room and the hotel's restaurant, just as the pool and spa area. Thank you for the comment about the staff, it is nice to know that they are always giving the best service they can.

In hoping to welcome you again.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Room was spacious and clean, but we were not impressed with certain aspects of the service. Hotel information book was entirely in French; not very considerate of travellers who are not bilingual. We had to spend an extra day here because I was sick. The hot tub was not open until noon, which was a pain because we set our alarm for the 9AM pool opening and then had to wait 3 hours.
We received a "free" upgrade when we arrived; the front desk did not let us know this until the next morning. When we needed an extra day, that was when we were made aware of the upgrade and told that it cost more than a standard room. That seemed like a sneaky and shady business practice.
Stay away from the Chez Greco restuarant! The food is terrible. I ordered a filet mignon and it came with no bacon wrapped around the steak.The salad was dead and the potatoes were seasoned with lemon pepper-YUCK! There was a VERY LOUD tour bus group who loved to sing French kids songs at the top of their lungs. In the morning, my husband and I were very disappointed in the breakfast selection. The website menu needs to be updated.
I realize the hot tub was likely a one off situation. I just didn't appreciate having to wait so long when I woke up early specifically to use it. The screaming while we had dinner was unacceptable and there is no excuse for having a different menu online than what is truly offered.
Make sure that you ask if an upgrade has occured, in case an extra night is needed. Don't waste your money at Greco either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelUniversel, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Universel Quebec, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Good day,

We thank you for your comment about your recent stay in our hotel. Comments are very important to us because they help improving our services and facilities.

First of all, about the information book, as we told you during your stay, all our books are in both French and English. We are sorry that the english section was missing in your book, which why we brought it to you.

Second of all, it was a mistake not telling you that you had received a free upgrade for the first night. That is why you had the second night (the one added) for 169$ instead of 249$.

Third of all, an infortunate situation happened at 9am in the hot tub, which is why we had to close it for 2 hours, but it was back at 11am. We did our best to fix it as fast as we could.

Finally, we take good note about all the comments about the restaurant. All comments will be given to the right person and mesures will be taken. Also, it is the first time we have a situation like this one with the group that was very noisy. Usually, you don't even know there are all together. We would also like to know were you saw the breakfast menu, because it is not on our website.

In hoping to welcome you again

Bahia de Los Angeles, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel is excellent value for the money. It is quiet, the rooms are well appointed, and the pool and spa area is lovely and very well kept. Get a one or two day pass at Couche Tard to save money on the bus ride to town. The #7 runs every 10-15 minutes unti around 1:00 am.

Room Tip: Ask for the back away from the pool.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Good day,

We thank you for your comments about your recent stay in our hotel. Comments are very important to us to help us improve our services and facilities.

We are really happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. The spa and pool area is a must-see in our hotel and we are really proud of it, it allows people to relax and have a nice moment away.

In hoping to welcome you again in our hotel.

Hotel Universel

Been to Hotel Universel Quebec? Share your experiences!