“Good food, reasonable prices, service not as attentive as could be” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant 1640

Restaurant 1640
16 Rue Sainte-Anne, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 3X2, Canada
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 1640 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 1,202 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Continental
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fort St
Description: Simple and tasteful Be it for breakfast, lunch, happy hours or dinner, you'll discover a tastefull and simple cuisine that longs to be discovered. Pizza, pasta and bistro classics such as steak frites and lamb shanks await you. Or you could also squander time away at our lovely bar section over a glass of Merlot
Toronto, ON
“Good food, reasonable prices, service not as attentive as could be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We are inside for dinner - outside would have been great but it was too cold and windy. Food was very good - for the location and type of establishment it was more than fair. We paid $63 (including tip) for a chicken ceasar salad, pork chop (delicious), coffee and cafe au lait. Had a table by the window and the view was great. Service was not as attentive as you would expect from a spot like this ... had to ask for water glasses to be refilled; it was polite and friendly though.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
“Delicieux!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had the maple and thyme glazed pork chop, and my mom had the blood orange and lime butter topped salmon - we both loved our meals! Proteins were perfectly cooked, and the sides that came with them were tasty.
Best dinner we had in during our week in Quebec.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brandon, Canada
“Average in a world of Excellence”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stopped in at 1640 on my own one day. I was not overly impressed with either the food or the service. In Old Quebec, we have come to expect nothing but the best and 1640 was exactly the opposite, nothing like the best.
It's location is stunning but considering that it is surrounded by exceptional food and service, you would expect their standards to be higher than they were. It was not overly busy on the patio, and I at first shrugged off my server's indifference to the fact that I was a solo diner but I watched him at the other tables and he was no more attentive.
I have a smoked meat sandwich and a pint - it was alright, but nothing set it apart from the sandwiches I could get back home - smoked meat in Quebec should be treated as a religion, not slapped between bread and served with some fries.

The prices however were the only thing in accordance with the rest of Quebec, which I normally don't mind paying but in this case, I felt over charged and will not be returning 0 there are MUCH better places to choose from, and they are all right next door!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Prince George, Canada
“Don't order the Nachos!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had lunch there in April. Two of us had the burger, one ordered Nachos (which were $14). We were given bread while we waited, and it didn't seem fresh. When the Nachos arrived, they were a soggy mess, doused with tabasco sauce and they had obviously been put under a very hot grill, as many of the chips were burned. We sent them back. The second time, they were still a soggy mess, and still burned but instead of tabasco sauce they had been drowned in some kind of cream sauce (perhaps mayonnaise?) They were essentially inedible. Soup was good, burgers were ok. Service was slow, it was hard to get coffee and water re-fills even though they weren't particularly busy. Location is excellent and they do have a lovely sunny patio.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Great place to eat in Quebec City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went to Restaurant 1640 with my family and had a wonderful meal in a stunning location. We ate outside, the weather was perfect, and we greatly enjoyed watching the world go by.

It is not an inexpensive place to eat – but I was more than satisfied with the quality and quantity of food. The Duck Confit was tasty and the ragout that came with it was out of this world good, a unique blend of flavors that played very well with each other. Another favorite not to miss was the Maple Crème Brule.

• 5 of 5 stars Food