Stayed one night for a business trip.
Lots of PROs:
- very warm welcome
- professional and courteous staff at the front desk (very important to me)
- well located in charming ''Vieux Quebec'', on a quiet but safe-looking street.
- very nice design (hotel and rooms), European feel (love that!)
- chic, sexy and luxurious feel but classy and discrete at the same time (much better than big chain hotels)
- impeccable clean rooms (except for one detail, see cons below)
- other occupants seemed nice, respectful and smiley as well (for me, it means that they were also having a good experience. I also value respectful and happy neighbours)
- the staff is very accommodating and they can put you on a waiting list (and they will call you back if a room becomes available!)
- delicious high-quality Continental-style breakfast buffet
- drink prices are reasonable unlike at other hotels
- as soon as I arrived, I found a dirty shirt on the floor next to my bed, probably from the previous occupant!! (ewww...) Since I was just too tired to notify the front desk, I just threw it out in the bin.
- the room was not very well lit e.g. lots of small lamps of various intensities which is great for a customized lighting but sometimes it was hard to find the light switches and honestly, when you are tired from a business trip you don't want to spend so much time looking for them.
- the amenities could be improved. They give hand soap but I personally prefer hand washing gels because soap is very drying, especially in the harsh Quebec winter.
- Slippers not provided. At least I didn't find any in my room. I think this details is important because it contributes to making you feel ''at home''. Didn't bother calling the Front Desk to ask because I was there for a quick stay.
- the bathroom floor was suuper cold in the morning. Make sure to adjust the room temperature before you go to bed.
- lobby felt a tiny bit small (but you don't stay there a long time anyway)
- gets busy (RSVP well in advance if possible - I guess this is a ''good'' problem since it shows that it is a quality hotel)
- this one is maybe not their fault but they called a cab for me and the car smelled like horse poo. (ewww...). Thankfully, it was a short trip.
- Not all rooms have a full bathroom with a bathtub. Make sure to read the room details when booking. And the shower is awesome!
- There are phones in the toilets. Just a weird detail.
- You have to go to the lobby to eat your breakfast and since it is a bit small, you end up eating at the same table with stranger. So, if you are the type of person who is not very sociable in the morning, I highly recommend you order room service or you could go get your breakfast plate and eat it in your room.
Overall: enjoyed my stay very much but I might try other boutique hotels in Quebec to compare the quality.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The neighbourhood that saw the birth of QuebecThe hotel was inaugurated in 1997 in the former office building of Dominion Fish & Fruit Limited, erected in 1912, and enjoys an enviable location on Saint-Pierre Street in the heart of Quebec City's historic Old Port district.The hotel possesses the elegance, comfort and refinement that are distinctive to all Le Germain Boutique-Hotels. Although completely renovated, it still exudes the charm of yesteryear, thanks to efforts to preserve its historic character. Somehow, the hotel has a soul, and it's this in particular that attracts guests.Relaxing Comfort In Serene SurroundingsThe rooms, where meticulous attention to detail reigns, each deliver a slice of history. Guests will nevertheless find that the design and amenities have a modern feel, allowing them to fully enjoy a relaxing oasis in the heart of a neighbourhood as picturesque as it is lively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Le Germain-Dominion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dominion 1912 Hotel
- Dominion 1912 Quebec City
- Hotel Le Germain-Dominion Quebec/Quebec City