“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 103 Hotels in Quebec City
Valley Forge PA
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Based on some recent reviews I was beginning to question my choice of Jardin Ste-Anne for a weekend visit to Old Quebec. What a pleasant surprise that all was well. Yes, the hotel next door is managing its operations. True, you don't get the hotel next door's complimentary breakfast. But what you do get is a fantastic location, a quiet, adequately furnished clean room, comfortable beds and the impression someone is trying hard to blend the old with the new - as in all new bathroom fixtures, quiet A/C, three great public areas downstairs, one a mini kitchen, etc. So what's your expectation friends? The Ritz Carlton on rue Ste-Anne for $150 a night? Or walking two or three flights of stairs in a hotel that truly reflects the historic district in which it is situated? I'll take what's genuine - Jardin Ste-Anne.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the jardin and/or an updated room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I arrived at this hotel in a little bit of a distressful situation where I thought I had lost my credit card... luckily I found it a couple of hours later... phew.

But I have to commend the lady that was on duty. She was very helpful and understanding as she could tell I was really upset. We sorted out an alternative for me to guarantee the room and she spoke with calm to make me not worry. Thank you!!!

The hotel is a very quaint hotel. It has a comfy/warming charm to it. It took me back to Europe.

The stairs in the hotel are quite steep, some people would view this as a nuisance, but I think it adds to the character. Yes it was a little difficult to carry luggage up, but c'est la vie. If you have difficulties with stairs... ask for a ground floor room :). Problem Solved!.

The rooms were small but clean and comfortable. Which is fine. I had my own bathroom and comfy bed with extra blankets to keep my warm.

The downstairs area has a little tea/coffee making area with a nice table to sit at. There is also a lounge to relax in with a computer to use and brochures to get the scoop on what to do and see.

The property's offerings are basic but at no means does it make it a bad a experience. I would definitely stay here again. It is 2 blocks from the main street in the old city where there is shops, cafes and restaurants.

Once again... thank-you for a great stay :).

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view of the street, it provides a nice view of the small walkway...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Helmetta, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The first thing that struck me was that there is no front desk in Hotel Jardin Ste-Anne, the front desk is actually located in the hotel next door. I've never seen that before. I've traveled quite a bit. Maybe that's normal and I've never come across it before. A satellite hotel that orbits a nicer one. Interesting. It never was much of an issue for us but I could see it becoming one. The front desk next door was often crowded or unoccupied and since we visited during the winter months, right after Christmas, there was no way I was going to walk in the cold to the front desk to ask for anything short of medical assistance.
Many stairs in Hotel Jardin Ste-Anne. No elevator. This would be an issue for the disabled. The stairs are steep and the halls are narrow, if you are unlucky enough to meet someone in the hall going in opposite directions one of you is turning around and walking back to your room. And for some reason the doorways are low. Strangely low. Kind of like a Willie Wonka chocolate room door. The Gene Wilder version.
Other than that though our room was surprising spacious. Beds were comfy. Room was warm and although I never saw a staff member, they existed because someone cleaned the room everyday while we were out. And there was decent wi-fi, which surprised me a bit.
Location was fine. Wife and I walk everywhere on vacation to burn off all the extra food we eat and I don't remember anywhere being absurdly far. A car from the airport to the hotel was reasonably priced. For sleeping and resting, Hotel Jardin Ste-Anne served its purpose. If you're expecting more, like free breakfast, an elevator, visible staff in the same building as your room or human-sized hallways, I'd go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs. Go for the first floor if possible. Otherwise its narrow and winding staircases ever...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Westchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I booked. Three night stay here. I called and they said they would valet my car for a fee and I was quite happy as I was worried about parking. You do check in at the hotel Champlain next door. Much more elegant hotel with elevator. But more expensive. Check in was easy. Be aware of three taxes over 18 percent. My bill went from 335 to 500 with taxes and 25 a night for parking. Please beable to go up steps. The first step is a dousy three more in a lobby space with couches and kitchen are? A dollar machine for coffee. Well my room was on the third floor. Took two times to get stuff up. Yup winding little stairs cases. The room was 25. Real cute. One bed. Updated bAthroom. Clean. Good wi-fi. Refrigerated was never cool but cool. If there was ac. Could have fooled me. Thank goodness we went in a cold spell low 70 the whole time. Or it would have been aweful. We slept with the window open. Now for that the window opens no screen and window is floor to half way up wall. If you are small. I am under five feet. I really felt I could slip out the window. This room is not for children. Overall was satisfied with room. Was unhappy to find my car was not kept in their parking lot but a local municipal lot with valet. Took over 20 minutes to get car. Oh there are bigger rooms. Our was tiny, I saw room 20. It had bed the bathroom then bed so there was privacy between beds. Great for family who need to be together but not on top of each other. Teenagers. That room went from front to back. Over all pleased with this place and would consider going back

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We truly enjoyed the ability to visit many sights within walking distance, the valet parking (allowing us to leave and return as needed), and the garden patio to enjoy some wine or cider. The rooms appeared updated with paint, synthetic wood floors and nice showers.
However, the spaces are tight, with not much space to maneuver if two people are rooming together. The air/cooling vent systems aren't the strongest, and no one cleaned the room for our three-day stay. The employees at the front desk (located in the adjacent hotel) were very polite and surely would have accommodated us if we asked for new towels, etc.
When visiting Quebec again, we will stay at another location we found that offers more room, beautiful exposed stone walls and better concierge service - for a lesser price.
Travel well!

Stayed July 2014
Waretown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

First of all, we would like to say that the staff did their best to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. However, we were informed that our original room was at the back of the hotel as requested and instead, it was on the street and the air conditioning did not work. We had to be transferred to a smaller room with AC that again was facing the street. No offer to adjust the cost of the accommodations was offered.
The positives: the bed was very comfortable and the shower was excellent. The location and cleanliness were good.
As to the rest: It was obvious that the Hotel Jardin Sainte-Anne is being treated as a second class addition to the Hotel Champlain. Parking cost more than at the Hotel Champlain and the buffet breakfast was not included. There was even a charge to use the coffee machine! At the very least, there should have been complimentary coffee.
The Hotel Jardin Sainte-Anne needs updating and decorating. It could be a charming addition to the Hotel Champlain if there was a new carpet throughout, fresh paint in the common areas, paintings on the walls of the living room, a better air conditioning system, etc. The garden area needs to be tended to--weeding, etc. It also could be charming if taken care of.
Not worth the money! Unless this hotel was upgraded, we would not return.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the garden. 3 floors and no elevator so request a floor that is workable...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have visited this hotel on numerous occasions, but when we (mson, daughter and myself (3 adults)) arrived there last week, we found it was just not the same anymore. The hotel reception is now joined with the adjacent hotel, and while the staff tried to be helpful, they were obviously overworked. I had reserved and requested a specific room which was confirmed via email 2 days before our arrival. When we arrived we were given instead a MUCH smaller room, awkwardly laid-out, with a view of an old wall and a parking lot. Note that the room was very clean. The 'directrice' in charge that weekend called me promptly, and did offer a small rebate, as well as moved us to 'our' room for the second night. She insisted that they cannot guarantee a specific room. Add to this the fact that breakfast is no longer offered as a package deal, and that while the valet parking is convenient, it is expensive, and sometimes one has to wait a fair bit, I am very sad to say that this was likely our last visit at Jardin Ste-Anne.

Room Tip: Even if you choose a good room, the management cannot guarantee it, so might as well hope for the be...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Jardin Ste-Anne? Share your experiences!