“Don't miss Basement Breakfast!!!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Concorde Quebec

Save Saved
You added Hotel Le Concorde Quebec to your Saves list
Hotel Le Concorde Quebec
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1225 Cours du General-de Montcalm, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4W6, Canada   |
Ranked #50 of 102 hotels in Quebec City
New Brunswick, Canada
“Don't miss Basement Breakfast!!!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Stayed the last weekend of Carnival and although a beautiful property and some very good staff, not a 3 or 4 star Hotel experience.

Checked in on Friday Valet service etc not prepared for the "Full House". Now I doubt the bus loads of hockey teams and band members booked last minute, so why not adequately staffed? I would be more than happy to park my car etc but the hotel has no free outdoor parking and no alternative to my knowledge. Valet or nothing. Parked the car took our bags to the lobby. Went to the counter to check in and was asked where my valet ticket was so it could be validated. After receiving a room key I was asked to see the porter or bellman to get a valet ticket. So I asked a porter inside the door where to get a ticket and who to give the keys to and was directed to "see the guy outside". So out I go and no one there. Sure enough a few minutes later a gentleman showed up and I asked for a ticket. He was kind enough to enquire about my bags which I explained we had already lugged in.

Now if you check the web site and other advertising for this property you will notice considerable emphasis given to the rotating restaurant on the top floor. I expect as advertised it has a great view. Fully booked for Saturday night and closed for both breakfast and lunch on Saturday. Not hard to understand the Saturday night situation and acceptable since Carnival was in full swing. Sunday breakfast offered downstairs and Monday still not open and breakfast offered in the basement. As one employee stated pointing toward the staircase “the breakfast is downstairs instead of in L'Astral as usual although I don't know why". So if you're expecting to enjoy a dining experience or a drink at L'Astral you better do a little research first.
Sunday go skiing for most of the day and return at 3:30 pm to a room that is still not cleaned. Was tired and wanted to have a rest prior to going out to dinner so asked the cleaning staff to replace the towels and leave the rest. You can accept some of this as a bad day etc. or make excuses if you wish however service is what you expect of a luxury Hotel. Valet service at many Boutique Hotels in the Montreal and Quebec region charge less money for valet parking and the service is twice what we received here Friday. As a note valet service was better Sunday and what you'd expect on Monday.

Overall a great weekend in Quebec City for us. A vibrant city with terrific people and no shortage of Restaurant choices. Front desk staff was great, I bought several items in the clothing boutique at good prices and found everyone polite and eager to offer directions etc. in English or French.

Hotel could easily be a good experience with proactive management.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

809 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Courtice, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

Over the Christmas holidays, I took my grand daughter to visit family in Québec City and stayed at Loews Le Concorde. Our suite was huge with a large sitting room and separate bedroom with queen size beds and a separate bathroom. Both rooms had fabulous views down La Grande Alée toward Old Québec, Le Chateau Frontenac and the St. Lawrence. The window ledges are so expansive that you could sit there to enjoy the view, The beds were incredibly comfortable. Usually I have difficulty sleeping in hotel beds, however, these were excellent. The suite came with all the expected amenities from large flat screen TV in each of the rooms, to separate dressing area, lighted magnifying mirrors, hairdryers, tons of lovely towels and even a safe in one of the closets. On arrival we had a lovely welcoming gift on the coffee table...Christmas cakes, cookies and candies for my grand daughter and even a candy cane. There was also a huge basket of specialty items that could be purchased. The valet service is charming and the desk staff very welcoming. When we left, I accidently left my sunglasses on the window ledge . I called the hotel and they found them and mailed them back to me right away via UPS...no charge for my carelessness. Although it is in the heart of old Québec and steps away from the major tourist attractions, the staff will speak English if you are not comfortable using French. I have stayed there on several occasions and have never been disappointed. It's a lovely old hotel with wonderful, welcoming staff and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday in the capital.

• Stayed December 2009
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

Let me start out by saying this was a fantastic experience at a hotel for us. We stayed for 6 nights and immediately were given 4 free full days of WiFi access, which we very much enjoyed for researching local hotspots for leisure and eating. For those complaining about the location from Old Quebec? I stayed in Dec. 09 when there was -15 to -20 C weather on average, blistering cold at times, and we had ZERO problem walking 5 minutes south to the Old gate and voila, into Old QC.

The rooms were serviced twice daily, and they were exceptionally clean! Got the great view we wanted of the Old City too.

One thing that really devalues the experience however is the ammenities. For the price paid, there should be an indoor pool, and the condition of the gym is abyssmal (lack of equipment fixes, inadequate lighting in the gym, unclean hot tub, no temp. controls on hot tub, and no indoor pool for winter/fall months).

However I will not devalue the frontline service staff.. what a fantastic group of people. Even the gym staff were fantastic!

4/5 stars for me. Would I visit again? Likely not since QC needs to be experienced via a boutique hotel, which is likely what I will give a shot at next time. If I had a second choice? Loews, possibly Hilton (for sheer sake of ammenities/convenience in the Winter).

Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Every decent hotel in quebec should be compared to the Frontenac. I found that Loews was a pleasant alternative.

Loews Le Concorde was a clean hotel and located on the Grande Alley which is lined with restaurants and bars. My spouse and I had a wonderful time there especially since we received a greatly discounted rate from travelocity. The staff was more than helpful including concierge, bellmen, and room service. We had a wonderful time overall.

It should be noted that the hotel is located about 3 blocks away from the walls of Old Quebec. Since we went in the middle of Quebec's winter, it was a chilly walk. Although the Frontenac is located within the old cities walls, I found that Loews was a pleasant alternative. I'd suggest it to anyone who would want to stay in a nice hotel with all the 4 star amenities without paying the same rates as the Frontenac!

The only negative is that the hotel's elevators are rather slow. While we were there for New Years the entire elevator area was filled with people waiting to go up. However it was not like this every night, but I did note how slow they were generally.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

This hotel is at the top of the hill over looking the old city. Easy walk (or free bus ride) to the historic section. But for us the best part was the room was the sweeping view we had across the whole city, river and beyond. We are the type that just looks at a hotel room as a place to sleep. But this one was so great we actually spent time in the room just looking out at the city. We flipped the couch around to face the window and camped out. If you go make sure you ask for a high room facing the historic center. It will make your trip so much better.

Como, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

This hotel is nice however it certainly is not as high end as the website portrays it to be. The location is great it overlooks the Plains of Abraham and it is about a 10 minute walk into the walled city. Very safe area, we walked back to hotel after 11:00 every night. There are dance clubs near the hotel and you will see many young people in the area later at night, but we experienced no problems at all. The hotel lobby does not have a warm inviting feel to it. It is cold and drafty and feels like a bus station or airport waiting area. There is a gift shop in the lobby that is well stocked with the necessities. The rooms were neat and clean. The gym is ok but there were no attendants each day I went. People at the front desk and concierge were nice and very friendly. Doormen were not as friendly. The revolving restaurant at the top of the hotel offers fantastic views, however food is just not that great. It is worth at least to go and have one meal there. The breakfast is hot and cold buffet or you can order from the menu. They try to make the buffet presentation nice, however the food is not fresh and the displays were sloppy and unattended. Different kinds of sliced fruit were available but they all looked and tasted as if they were at least 5 days old. Pastries and breads were not always fresh. The hotel Chateau Laurier right down the street from this hotel on Grand Alyee, has a great buffet. Fresh and much to choose from and it is less expensive. L'astral is $15 for the cold buffet and Hotel Laurier is $9. I can not say it was a terrible stay, Lowes was just “ok”.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Providence, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I love this hotel! Every single time I have come to this hotel it has been great. Yea, so what, you have to pay to park. In most cities you have to pay to park so I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Loews is always clean and the room comfortable. I liked how the hotel is across the street from the Plains of Abraham. There was a really huge concert there on one night that we were there which was pretty cool. The location of this hotel is probably one of the longer walks to the old city but I didn't mind. The walk will bring you by shops and places to eat and Quebec as a whole is a really safe place so walking back to the hotel even at night wasn’t a problem. I did only have limited interaction with the staff but when I did see them at check in and checkout they were polite and efficient. The revolving restaurant is a lot of fun and provides a beautiful view of the city. All in all this hotel is great and I was really disappointed to see a few bad reviews.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Le Concorde Quebec? Share your experiences!