“A Real Treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

You added Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac to your Saves list
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Rue des Carrieres, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4P5, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #18 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A Real Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

a walk back in time to the grandeur of the railroad days catering to wealthy travelers. Plus, there is the historical significance of Churchill and FDR having stayed here to do some planning during World War II. The setting up high above the St. Lawrence River is a nice view, and the Old Quebec setting with shops and outdoor cafes gives you a feeling of being in France! It's a very expensive hotel, and even more so on weekends but it's worth the experience if only one time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed here for a night in early April. We reserved a deluxe room with river view and were very glad to be upgraded to a large, round room in a corner, like a mural tower in the corner of a castle wall. The room was recently refurbished and had a terrific, panoramic view over StLawrence River. We enjoyed watching the drifting ice floes along the river in our warm and cosy room. However, although the room was bright and modern, the air con was hissing rather loudly most of the time but perhaps that was the only flaw about the room. The location was superb as most attractions were in a walking distance. The staff were mostly hospitable and friendly and we had a really pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Definitely river view!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It looks magnificent on the outside but the room was so shabby! The bath tub was peeling off it needs to be refinished. The furnitures has stains and dirty. Carpet needs cleaning or replacement. A disappointing stay!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Looks great from the outside but once you get out of the first floor, it is completely different. To start, last night of my stay fire alarm went off in my room at 4AM and kept going off intermittently until someone came at 5:30am to turn it off. Day before I came back to my room at 5PM and the room was never made up. Bathroom was peeling, sink backed up constantly. There is approximate charge of $17 daily for wifi, which is ridiculous. Even two star hotels provide this free nowadays. The reception tries to convince you to become a Fairmont member so you get this for free. I made numerous 1800 calls for business- they charge $1.25 for 1800 calls- never had this at any hotel around the world I stayed at. I complained and they agreed to waive the charges. The heat/ac is building controlled- the room was very stuffy but no ability to regulate- you think they would update their system. I went to their wine/cheese bar and two nights in a row the bartenders tried to shortchange me- count your change if you pay cash there. I could go on and on but needless to say there are other hotels in the area- I dined one night at The Auberge Hotel on Antione- great restaurant and nice hotel. I highly recommend the restaurant at the Clarendon hotel very close to the Chateau Frontenac. It has amazing food- not necessarily top ambience but gourmet food at very good prices. I got my last night half off for the fire alarm keeping me up all night- big sports.

Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear gatorbait2008 Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. I invite you to contact me directly at Frederic.Pare@Fairmont.com to discuss this further. Thank you again for your feedback. Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Located in the heart of Old Quebec, this property is clearly an icon with tremendous history. The stuffy floral decor, tired railways hotel look are fortunately making way to softer beige and blue colours and newer, cleaner carpets.

There were plenty of times when I felt the hotel was understaffed or missed the finer points. The lower level (the location of restaurant Place Dufferin) was a ghost town- completely empty, even though there is a brand spanking new desk with the updated blue/gold designs. The Fairmont guide book in every room states that brunch is served until noon. So when we arrived at 11am at Place Dufferein, we were told that they were closing and brunch hours are until 11am. After some debate, they allowed us to eat. The food was excellent and chef Javier was very accommodating, but the maitre d' and server made us feel rushed through what was supposed to be a long and laidback brunch.

On another occasion, I inquired three times on the location of the business centre and got sent in various directions. Keep in mind this hotel is enormous, so I spent unnecessary time scrambling to find the business centre. Signage is also unclear or simply missing. On our second night, housekeeping did not replace the toiletries, so I had to call down for a new batch. We also found our TV did not work and a technician was called to install the necessary wires.

My sister and I were in QC city for a race and only one kind staff member at the front desk gave us her warm wishes for our Sunday race, She was likely the only staff member who remembered and allowed us a late check-out in order to have time to recuperate from our race.

There was some staff like Sandra, Laura and Marie at concierge who were knowledgeable and helpful. But overall, for a luxury brand hotel, the finer points are remiss.

The location is unbeatable, the beds are comfortable and the new look is aesthetically appealing. However, I was just surprised at the lack of attention to detail for a high-end brand.

Room Tip: For free wi-fi, get the Fairmont President's Club card. The application is free and fast.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Dear STho - Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations, however I am glad that you appreciate our new decor. I will be sure to share with your feedback with our team as it is because of constructive comments like yours that we can improve. Should you make it back to Québec City, please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally attend to your réservations. Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations (Frederic.Pare@Fairmont.com).
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

It is a fairy tale castle in the middle of Quebec City, it's like walking in the past century. The vastness of this hotel and the elegance and beauty of it is amazing. The city of Quebec is a history buffs dream come true. A few minutes from the hotel take a right down the stairs to the many artisan shops of blown glass, jewelry, candle shops extrodinaire. Just a beautiful place to spend a week or four.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear mlvilleneuve21 - I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your stay with us last June 2014. I will be sure to share your comments with the team. It's been almost a year - time for you to come back! Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations
Romeoville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

By far the most amazing hotel I have stayed in. 5 star service from check in to check out. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in this area. Loved this hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Bonjour Jennifer M - Thank you so much for providing your comments regarding your stay with us in April. I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Kind regards, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac? Share your experiences!