“A Princess Fantasy? DENIED!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

You added Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac to your Saves list
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Rue des Carrieres, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4P5, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #18 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jersey City, New Jersey
“A Princess Fantasy? DENIED!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

I celebrated a special birthday and desired to feel like a princess during my stay at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac. Problems began from the moment I stepped through the door. After I tipped the doorman, he just let the door go (like the American expression "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya"). Stunned, I kept smiling because there was no way I was going to make a scene. After all, I am a lady. Next, the first bellman, so anxious to receive a tip, quickly grabbed my luggage before I could ask any questions, and he directed me to the incorrect check-in line. As a Fairmont Presidents Club member, I should have been pointed to a separate line. Never happened. Things kept getting worse: I was charged twice for the security deposit! Yes, CAD$400--CAD$200/night! Two months earlier I had paid for the room in full--and even that turned into a fiasco, requiring me to use up all my lunchbreaks to clarify (to English-speaking front-desk employees as well as employees at Fairmont's central reservations phone number) that, since I already had paid for my room for the two nights, I did not need to fill out any credit card authorization form. While I appreciate not having to wait for my room, I remained in that room from the moment I realized my credit card was charged CAD $200 although I was staring at my receipt showing I had paid in Canadian currency (Canadian dollar bills) the amount of CAD $200. So what ensued was, although I had a free-of-charge early check-in and use of room, at 11:30 a.m. (after having checked out of a tiny, quaint inn with employees that were more courteous than all of the staff put together, and with a view across the St. Lawrence of the Montmorency Falls), I glanced at my SmartPhone to check for friends' texts -- after taking photos of the room (I advise all hotel guests to do that in case a hotel tries to claim you damaged something) and checking to make sure the heating system worked and the water pressure was fine, etc. Looking at my SmartPhone, I saw an alert from my credit card company (the same credit card that I had used nearly a year earlier to guarantee the room and, 2 months before the trip, to pre-pay for the room in full). I was livid. The alert read that my credit card had just been charged US $157 (and change)--i.e., CAD $200 was charged, but the credit card company was holding the funds in the U.S. amount. That night, Le Champlain was superb, but my princess fantasy was derailed before it could begin. :(

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Currently undergoing a major renovation, this storied hotel is full of old-world charm, professionally trained and helpful staff, and is located right next door to the famous Petit Champlain--the street dating from the 1600s that is shown in most postcards of Québec.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I secured a rare weekend away and decided to spend it in Quebec City. A quick booking search resulted in us staying at the Frontenac. We were thoroughly impressed. All details were taken care of and ensured a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Our room overlooked the St. Lawrence river and offered stunning views of old Quebec. The staff was friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Must try some cheese from the hotels cheese cave!

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Fairmont always does things well and spending the holidays here was a delight.
The staff were very helpful and the room was cosy and warm. It was very close and walking distance to interesting stores and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, today
Dear 39Cocoa - Thank you sharing your feedback about your stay with us last December. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us during this very magical time. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations
Cypress
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

If you are going to Quebec City, the Chateau Frontenac is the view you see from anywhere. It's a must to stay at. What a wonderful experience and they treat you like royalty. The rooms are the best of the best and food is to die for. I highly recommend staying at this wonderful place!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear RobinC - Many thanks for your wonderful comments. We appreciate that you took the time to provide your feedback. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations
Kanata
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We booked the culinary escape package. Our dinner with wine pairing was not thought out at all, with a terrible choice of wine to pair with very salty food.
Hotel staff was very good, restaurant not..

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Alain L, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear KimberleyS - Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit. I am disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations with our Culinary Getaway package. Please accept our apologies. I will be sure to share your comments with the team so that we may ensure an improvement on our part. Thank you again, KimberleyS. Sincerely, Alain Leblanc, Director of Food & Beverage
yonkers
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

25 years ago our honey moon at once this grand hotel was amazing. A suite looking over the river great room service, perfect stay. Fast foward to last year a room with mold, bathroom was filthy, room smelled. Went to front desk very rude and unacomidating. Asked for our money back and drove all the way to Saratoga NY found a hotel and enjoyed the town the next day. Hope they get there act together. Very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Frederic P, Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear robert c - thank you for your feedback from your stay last May 2014. We apologize that your stay last spring did not meet your expectations. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Sincerely, Frédéric Paré, Director of Operations.

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac? Share your experiences!