“Best place to stay on first trip to Quebec City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

You added Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac to your Saves list
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Rue des Carrieres, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4P5, Canada   |
Ranked #21 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Best place to stay on first trip to Quebec City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It's fun to be able to stay in a place that also has such a historical, physical presence in the city. It's also nice when the actual property is very nice. The rooms are basic, but nice, clean and comfortable. The hotel bar is great--you can sit by one of the windows and look out onto the St. Lawrence River. The lobby is also nice, but it would be nice if there was more seating. Another bonus is the Starbucks that is accessible from inside the hotel. The hotel also has a gym and pool, which I didn't use, but would certainly be a draw for planning a future visit.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I hadn't been at the Frontenac since the multi-million dollar refurbishment, and was looking forward to it. The CF is such a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting - so much so that a visit to the lobby was included in the walking tour I took.

In many reviews I've mentioned that the Fairmont is my favourite chain not least because of their wonderful loyalty program. At the platinum level I get workout clothes and shoes, upgrade certificates and occasional free nights, and what's called a "welcome amenity", which can be defined on your profile. I'm often a late arrival after a long day so my chosen amenity is a fruit and cheese plate, since I've often missed dinner. On this occasion the travel was particularly frustrating, so when I checked in after midnight I was looking forward to some sustenance before bed. There was no amenity. The next morning I had an early start to attend a meeting. After a shower I looked for the hair dryer. None. I called housekeeping, who suggested several places to look, but most didn't even exist in my room. They agreed to send one. I waited as long as I could but had to leave for my meeting, with damp hair. I also reported that the TV wasn't working. When I got back to the room in the evening there was a hairdryer but the bath mat had been taken. The TV had been fixed. It must be said that the staff were very pleasant, and concerned. But I was on a really tight schedule and couldn't hang around.

On checkout when asked if I had enjoyed my stay I mentioned these inconveniences, and especially the lack of amenity on arrival (which is usually accompanied by a personal card of welcome from the hotel). The desk clerk said he would report it to the hotel's President's Club manager.

Rather than post a somewhat negative review on Tripadvisor I waited for the hotel to call. After a week I wrote to the hotel directly. Within a few minutes the FPC manager responded to me. She was full of genuine concern, and confirmed that she hadn't been informed of my comments by the desk staff. We had a very positive conversation. I had used an upgrade certificate, and was in a King size deluxe room. These all have a walk in shower and no bath: I told her I like a bath/shower combination and found the tiles very slippery. She advised me to ask for a two double bed room in future, which still has the bath/shower combination. She apologized for the problems I encountered, and assured me they wouldn't occur again if I returned. I was very impressed by her responsiveness and genuine concern. And I am sure she has followed up with the staff on my behalf.

I didn't mention to her that I was disappointed with the room makeover. I can't expect her to renovate to my taste! But I have included some photos of my room to let readers decide. The hotel is steeped in history - it's very romantic, and grand. The lobby looks wonderful, decked out for Christmas. But my room seemed so bland, and not in keeping with the historical background of the hotel. It felt like a staged show home in a brand new development. It was comfortable, but to me indiscernible from any other good modern hotel. Before the reno I stayed in a lovely room with (no doubt reproduction) antique furniture much more in keeping with the hotel's provenance. I accept that others may completely disagree - hence the photos to let you decide for yourself. To me, my bland room was in dissonance with the beauty of the lobby and the hotel's exterior.

Room Tip: If you like a bath, don't choose a room with a king-size bed.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

If you pay to have the top rooms on top floors would be awesome and extremely expensive. The room we had still cost $350 per night, was very small, extremely long walk from the elevator, had a lovely view of the scaffolding as they were renovating and had dropped down ceilings which I hit in the middle of the night and ended up with a huge egg on my head for the remainder of my holiday. On our last day we were woken up by the tradesman working right outside our window. It is a great location and was so looking forward to staying here, but wished we had gone elsewhere as there are a number of other lovely hotels in the area and just gone for dinner and drinks at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can afford to stay on top levels, stay
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Beautiful views. Dedicated Gold Lounge, super friendly staff. Housekeeping is really friendly and personal. Great restaurant & bar scene. Within Old Quebec City. Walking distance to most historical sites. Fast wifi.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Fairmont Le Chateau is a big hotel located in the middle of Old Quebec. The hotel has a magnifisent exterior, and is really an old castle. The lobby is nice, and the rooms also (we had a newly renovated room). Ask for a room on a high floor with a city-view. One thing that was annoying was that we were unable to get our room at 3:50 PM, even though check-in was at 4:00 PM. We was asked to come back 10 min later. Also, the minibar has some crazy prices ($8 for a bottle of water).

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This iconic hotel captures the heart and sole of old Quebec City. If you don't stay here, at least wander through the reception and soak up the grandeur of times gone by.

We stayed here because we were on a conference rate. On prior visits we have always stayed in one of the many cheaper boutique hotels that are dotted around the old town. If this is your one chance to see Quebec, maybe you should stay here as part of the experience - but it's an expensive experience and I am not sure it is really worth it. You can soak up the ambience from the lobby and there equally comfortable Accomodation options at better price points.

The hotel has been extensively refurbished and our room was very clean and quite large. For those who like TV, this was one of the surprisingly few I have stayed that had genuinely HD quality pictures on it large TV. The bathroom was small but adequate and the minibar well-stocked but byob; its $8.50 for a small bottle of still water!

We had one breakfast at the hotel and the food was excellent but the service keen but lacking polish for a restaurant at this price point. I am not a snob, but at these prices, you expect and deserve the best.

Overall, if you want comfort, you can find it elsewhere for less. You will probably not be disappointed if you stay here but you will have paid a big premium for dubious benefit. I think there are better options.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Several friends urged us to stay at the “Chateau” for a once in a lifetime experience and who doesn’t desire such an experience.

The taxi drove slowly through the arched entrance; we contorted our necks for a good look at this famous landmark. It was a busy midday as our taxi pulled up behind two other cars with arriving customers. Filled with excitement and anticipation we climbed out of the taxi and immediately a cloud of nasty cigarette smoke enveloped us coming from smokers occupying about a third of the entrance. Our eyes searched for a bellman but they were busy with other arriving customers including a tour bus. We lugged our suitcases up the three steps, winding our way through the smokers into a somewhat dark reception hall. A wave of disappointment dampened our enthusiasm of this lifetime experience. Of course, our imagination anticipated an old fashion grand entrance and warm reception.
The check-in was efficient and a helpful bellman stored our luggage; we had arrived early and the room was not yet ready. We were touched by the attention, warmth and thoughtfulness of the concierge. It was time to explore the neighborhood while we waited for our room, so we held our breath and quickly moved through the group of smokers gathered at the entrance.

Our room was spacious with slanted walls, in room support beams, and two dormer windows reminding us of our “old” apartment in Europe. The view of the night lights over the city was spectacular. The bed was large and very comfortable, small bathroom with a big walk-in shower. We asked for non-down bedding which the hotel gladly provided. Internet was free and fast. The hotel is intriguing and it appears that much thoughtful effort and expense is devoted toward maintenance and restoration.
The Hotel needs to find a better solution vs. the entrance to accommodate smokers.
We stayed two nights in October.

Room Tip: The rooms are unique in layout and not your typical hotel room. The better the view the higher the...
Green Features: If the hotel wishes to accommodate smokers it must find a better solution than the front entrance.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac? Share your experiences!