“My dream comes true at the Chateau Frontenac!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

You added Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac to your Saves list
Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Rue des Carrieres, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4P5, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
3rd night free!
Ranked #18 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scranton
“My dream comes true at the Chateau Frontenac!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Since I was a little girl, I have always been fascinated by travelling far north to Canada. My aunt had visited the Chateau Frontenac and always spoke of her visit there in the 1950's. My husband and I were recent guests there and experienced the finest experience a hotel can offer. Extraordinary beauty inside and outside the Chateau, fine dining at its best and a hotel room fit for a king or queen.Extraordinary but not stuffy.We felt pampered and special by all of the most professional staff. A truly 5 star experience!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Genevieve_Parent, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear Francine D,
We are so thrilled you were able to make your dream come true and that your Chateau Frontenac stay was so special and memorable. Thank you for taking time to post a review and we hope you will visit us again.
PR Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

This review is better late than never. My wife and I stayed here in late April 2012. We stayed for a week. It was our first trip to Quebec City and my wife was really enamoured with the appearance of this hotel. There is a reason it is the most photographed hotel in North America. When you walk into the lobby you can't help but be impressed. I found the front staff were very courteous and processed our reservation quickly and with a smile. We arrive from a flight from Toronto at around 9:00 pm on a Sunday. Once we were check in we wanted to have a late dinner. My wife was keen for Italian and the front desk recommended a nice place just down the hill a bit from the hotel. We asked about the restaurant in the hotel and they said the kitchen would be closing at 10:00 pm due to slow time of year and being Sunday. The recommended restaurant was great. We dined until almost midnight. When we came back the bed was turned down for us. Everything on this trip just seemed to go our way. We had a nice room high up so that you could see the river and a good part of the old town. A huge king bed and our maid service was top notch. Quebec has some excellent craft beers and I would put a bottle (650ml) in an ice bucket and the maid would ice it down when we were out and about in the day. The bathroom was decorated in a style that my wife wants to emulate for our bathroom at home. Always clean and tidy. The hotel was under some renovations when we were there but I never heard any sounds or had any problems. We rented a car that needed to be garaged a night and we were advised the cost would be $ 10 per night. When we checked out there was no charge, which we brought to their attention and I was told not to worry about it. We both loved the bed and the maid was more than happy to show us the bed and it was so comfortable that we bought the same mattress when we came home. We were in need of a new bed anyway. This hotel is close to a large number of excellent restaurants and wandering the old town was a real experience. The age, the elegance and old world charm of this hotel makes it a winner. It is pricey but sometimes you just have to treat yourself.

Room Tip: We were facing the south-east which we found to be quiet and there was nice morning sun. I hear tha...
Green Features: I cannot comment on that issue. I never paid attention to that aspect of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dave Judy F,
Thank you for taking time to post a review. We are so thrilled you enjoyed your stay in April 2012. We have since completed some amazing renovations and we hope you will visit us again to experience the renovated Chateau.
South Carrollton, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

We came here because my parents spent their honeymoon here in 1945. We understand why. We celebrated our 20th anniversary here. As in the photos, the hotel is luxurious. Our room overlooked the architect of the hotel-fantastic. We sat out on the boardwalk watching the activity on the great St. Lawrence River. So relaxing. Had a lovely bottle of wine & a wonderful cheese tray which must be tried if one even THINKS they like cheese. This in the 1608 wine bar. Enjoyed the French-speaking waitress very much. For dinner we ate at Le Bistro Sam. Still relatively full, we had the absolutely delicious charcuterie plate & more wine. Not too filling-just the perfect amount of food to share. Breakfast in the dining room was a delicious experience with beautiful & fun presentations. Splurge? Yes, but do it anyway.

• Stayed August 2014
Genevieve_Parent, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear WorldTravelers1218,
We are so thrilled you were able to experience what your parents experienced in 1945. We always love to hear such great stories! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and we hope you will keep fond memories of your experience.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

From the moment we arrived at the Chateau Frontenac until we left two days later the stay was wonderful. The staff was so cheerful, helpful and attentive it made our time there such a pleasure. The hotel is gorgeous, well kept and clean from top to bottom. We had such great views from the floor we were on as well as the Gold Lounge windows, hated to leave it all behind, knowing that we likely will not be back there as it was something we did for a special celebration which in a sense makes it all that more memorable.

Dear Muggins43,
Thank you for this great feedback regarding your recent stay and experience on Fairmont Gold. We are delighted you had such a memorable experience and hope to welcome you again.
Bellmore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

The Frontenac gives you the ambiance, food, service, and location of being in a European City. There's no where better to stay when visiting this beautiful city. The service, room, amenities were fantastic. The breakfast buffet is not to be missed!

Dear Jeri F,
We are so pleased you had such a memorable experience. Thank you for taking time to share feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I am writting this review after a recent two week tour of Canada.

I would like to underline that I have been using Fairmount hotels world wide for the past 16 years within the states europe and Canada and have never had a one single bad experience as my stay in Quebec City.

We arrived in Quebec city after a 500km drive at around 21pm my first call was to the booking service HotelsOne where I was offered a king size room for two people at the Fairmount Le Chateau Frontenac at a cost of €308.67 I accepted and within 5 mins had the amount debited o my credit card. Email with all details emailed to me immediately from the booking ctr.

At 21.30pm we arrived at the hotel, at reception we were cheked in and just before I am given the key I am asked to kindly wait for a few minutes, as there seems to be a slight problem.
This ended up been 15 mins at reception while the person at reception goes into an office to speak to a manager.

On her return I ask her if there are any problems and am told no all is fine. I specifically ask ;
we do have a king size room correct ? and she assures me all is confirmed.

We head to the room and on opening the door we find a single bed.
I retrun straight to reception and complain that we have been given an incorrect room this is a single and we should have a king.
The receptionist excuses the mistake that has been made but tells me that
unfortunately all the rooms are sold out and the only availabilty is this one.

I am logically without words and immediately ask for the director.

Within two minutes and a manager appears.
He excuses the situation and tells me that unfortunately they have completely sold out and therefore no king rooms are available the best he can do is a queen room.
I underline that this is absolutely unacceptable and he states "sorry there is nothing I can do the rooms have been sold out the best I can do is give you a queen room

He also states that to excuse the situation he would offer us breakfast for two at the hotels
expense.

On our return to the room we were assigned a queen room as anticipated instead of the king room which was paid for.

In our room a bottle of complimentry Cider.

We checked out the next morning and to be honest we could not wait to get away from this very very poor experience. Needless to say we did not accept the breakfast and left the bottle of Cider in the room untouched.

Having said this the following night we stayed at the "Fairmont Manoir Richelieu Malbaie" a totally different and above al Fairmount hotel.

On a final note I would suggest to take great care if booking at the Le Chateau Frontenac at least make sure your given what you have paid in advance for !!

Room Tip: Make sure you are given what you have requested and paid for
Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ElaineCat,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Fairmont and for taking time to post a review of your recent stay. We sincerely apologize that this experience did not meet your expectations, specifically regarding your guestroom and bed type. Unfortunately when booking with a third party website such as HotelsOne sometimes guestroom inventory is not as accurate as with the hotel specific website. We sincerely apologize for this situation. We truly value your loyalty and as such I would like that you contact me at genevieve.parent@fairmont.com so I can follow-up with you directly.
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We did a summer trip of Quebec City, Tadoussac (whale watching) and Charlevoix. Our first stop is Le Chateau Frontenac.

The hotel's location is perfect. Right in the center of the old Quebec, and step away from the boardwalk along the river. Everywhere is walking distance. There is so much life and charm and many many good restaurant inside the old Quebec.

The service in the hotel is impeccable, the front desk manager (Julie Martel) did absolutely the best to mend the problem we encountered and made us feel they really cared about our concerns.

The breakfast in the hotel is superb (one of the best among all the Fairmont hotels we stayed), and the dinning room (especially along the window) is gorgeous. We truly enjoyed it.

We stayed in the newly renovated room, very stylish and nice size. We didn't get the river view, but the city view which is very nice too.

The hotel also has a decent sized in door pool, which was enjoyed daily by our daughter. outside on the same level of the pool it is a nice patio with nice lounge chairs.

The hotel is a old building, which has a lot of charms; but it comes with the old building problems, it's the whole package. One that bothered me (might not be much problem for others) is there is very little noise insulation between rooms, I happened to have a noise neighbour.

The other downside of the old and charming hotel is that the bathroom is very small, it's nicely renovated but it's very small.

One note on the room selection, normally when it comes to view from your hotel room window, the higher floor the better. It's not the case here for the city view rooms, when the floor is too high what you see is mainly roof tops.

WiFI in the room is good.

Despite the noise problem, we had a great stay and enjoyed it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear CanadaGogirl,
What a delight to read your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed you recent stay with us as part of your Quebec family vacation. Thank you for taking time to post a review and we hope tow welcome you again in a near future.