Visited the Chateau for a couple of days fresh off a visit to Montreal earlier. May have picked a bad weekend though. Concierge let me know that it was the 1x per year that the Canadian construction industry is on holiday, and Old Quebec and to a certain extent the hotel too, was a bit overrun with visitors. So, for a 500 room hotel, that meant that the breakfast/brunch restaurant was a bid of a madhouse with an exceedingly long line just to put a name on a list; and amenities such as the indoor pool is really too small given the size of the hotel and the amount of guests. The locker rooms could use a good sprucing up too.
Be aware: The Hotel IS a prime tourist site in Old Quebec and the Hotel welcomes all manner of visitors and tourists into its public areas and restaurants (but mercifully, not the bathrooms. You need a hotel key for that!). As a result, if you are a guest in the hotel paying $500 plus a night, you compete with tourists who mobbed the lobby all day long.
The staff (concierge) and front desk were for the most part what you expect from a Fairmont: Supremely pleasant, professional and helpful. The concierge sent us to a very good restaurant (MC Chef) on our second night and helped us with another restaurant we had chosen for the first night (La Patriarche).
The room was very nice and well-appointed. Try to get a room in one of the "turret" lines of the hotel (we were in 421) for a nice semi-circle view of the Seaway. The room alone bumped up my review to 4 stars from 3.5.
Buffet breakfast was good (but you could have a line (no reservations) during peak peak time. wine and cheese bar has nice views and good wine selection (although the staff needs to brush up on its knowledge of what's on the list).
Overall, a nice Fairmont experience, that could be improvement by Management if they are focused.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing high on a bluff overlooking the mighty St. Lawrence River, Fairmont Le Château Frontenac is not merely a hotel located in the heart of Old Québec - it is the heart of it. At Fairmont Le Château Frontenac, guests are guaranteed a memorable and inspiring stay in one of the most beautiful cities in the world with easy walking access to all of the wonderful sites and experiences that Old Québec has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Travelocity, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline, Otel, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Hotel Quebec City
- Fairmont Hotel Quebec City
- Fairmont Quebec City
- Quebec City Fairmont
- Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Quebec/Quebec City