“So So” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Auberge Maison Roy

You added Auberge Maison Roy to your Saves list
Auberge Maison Roy
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   1365, boulevard Rene-Levesque Ouest, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada   |
Ranked #72 of 124 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“So So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

The AUBERGE MAISON ROY was newly remodeled and the rooms were 'cute'. However, the owner gave us only one of the four breakfast vouchers and was less than helpful. The hotel is NOT within walking distance of Old Quebec.

I would not stay there again because of him and not because of the facilities.

Room Tip: Get a room with two beds if you want to have enough room to sleep; and realize it is a very long wal...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Very clean and beautiful building. All the fixtures in our room (bed, tv, fridge, furniture etc) were excellent, and the decor was beautifully francaise. As a couple, we found the room very spacious for our 5 night stay. Washroom and sink were very clean and worked well.
The welcome flyer for your room includes the owner's cell phone number and requests that if our needs are not 100% met by the staff present, to call him directly. We didn't have any complaints, but it was great to know that.
As to the location, the Maison is about 2-3 blocks from sheltered bus stops. The 800- busses come often, and run late at night, and lead to Old Quebec and just about anywhere else. We really enjoyed free parking at the Maison, QC can get expensive for parking. (If you're staying out after 2am, a cab from Old Quebec is about $10, and $8 from Grande-Allee.)
The free (yes FREE!) continental breakfast is at a restaurant, a 2-minute walk away. Their crepes are sensational. I have never had such a good hotel-provided breakfast.
We had a wonderful time. Our room and the office were stocked with tourism brochures. Between those and the internet, we planned most of our trip from the office of our room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Our son and daughter-in-law moved to Quebec last year so we came to Quebec to spend the holidays with them. Auberge Maison Roy was a perfect place for us stay for nine days as it was 1) close to where they lived - four blocks, 2) economical and 3) on an excellent public transportation bus line. When we weren't visiting with them, we liked that it was a short 10 minute ride to Vieux-Quebec. The breakfast offered through a local restaurant was quite good and filling and we enjoyed the four block walk to the restaurant even in the snow. Also within walking distance were bakeries, restaurants, chocolatiers and a park. Our room, which was on the second floor, was very nice and newly remodeled with a large bathroom. We were told it was the nicest room in the building. The bed was very comfortable and we both slept extremely well, which is not always the case for us when traveling. The proprietor was very accommodating and helpful, as we do not speak any French. We would stay there again and would recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in Quebec City economically.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We had a good experience living in this hotel. Room was very clean, but was a little bit smaller than we expected, that was not a big deal though. Hotel manager was nice, too. It is very close to bus station, less than 5 mins walking. However, we needed to walk a little bit to another street for food, really tough during snow season...Oh, almost forgot, the breakfast was good too. ;)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

It's a sweet place, just like a home. Jean at the front desk is very friendly and gentle. The room is tidy but small. However, it has bathroom. With the price, you can't ask any more for that. The only bad common is its location. It's a little far from the Vieux-Quebec. I have to take 15 minutes bus to get there.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Quebec City is such a charming and beautiful place. The last thing you will want to do is taint its beauty with an experience of any kind at the miserable Auberge Maison Roy.

Our first mistake was reserving though Booking.com. The second mistake, which was considerably more serious, was booking this wretched place run by mean people. Do yourself a favour a keep away from Auberge Maison Roy.

The booking was for one person, but our plans changed at the last minute and we were two. The rooms looked small for two men, so I called the Auberge directly to cancel. The innkeeper said I was out of luck, as I missed the cancelation deadline, and he would have to charge me an extra $20 to put a cot in the tiny room. I called Booking.com to see if they would cancel. They told me they couldn't cancel, but could add a second person for $10. I left it at that, and arrived at the Auberge at 10pm, after a long, hard day of travel and work.

At night you have to ring the bell if you don't have a key. The innkeeper's wife greeted us with hostility, and went on to discipline us for being 2 hours late; the check-in cutoff is apparently at 8pm. Even though the innkeepers live in the Auberge, we apparently put them considerably out of their way. They charged us for the second person and we checked-in.

To my shock, when I opened the door to the tiny room there was no cot or extra bed. I went downstairs to inquire with the innkeeper, who had swapped places with his wife in anticipation of this exchange. I asked him to kindly bring up the cot, per the reservation. He responded by tearing into me, yelling at me for calling Booking.com to cancel, and he refused to add the cot. We got into a war of words that resulted in him refunding my payment, and putting us out on the street at 11pm, looking for another hotel.

We eventually found a place to stay. The next day I received an email from Booking.com informing me that the Auberge, which by the way, can be better described as a converted tenement building, is charging me the full reservation fee for a canceled booking.

So, 2 important lessons for you:

1) Unless you want to be charged for being put out on the street by rude innkeepers at 11pm, keep away from Auberge Maison Roy,

2) Know where you stand with Booking.com: you, the customer, are a lot lower down the ladder than the hotels they represent.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I'll start with the "pros": It's located close to the Vieux Québec (though it's likely that better / closer can be had if one searches more). Also, the room was clean and service (the following morning's clean-up) was excellent.

Now to the "cons": The website does not honestly state that many (most) of the suites are located in the basement. Correspondingly, the room in the basement in which we stayed in overnight felt slightly humid with a slight tinge of mustiness. The room was of fair size, but cramped with furniture: two double beds, a small desk, what was described to me by the owners as a "kitchenette" (consisting of a microwave, a empty bar fridge and a coffee-maker but no coffee, and no cutlery I could find). Entertainment consisted of a 14" old-style (CRT) TV which we didn't bother turning on. Beds held mattresses that were fairly firm for me but not for my wife. The sheets and pillowcases were so thin as to be able to see the texture of the fabric underneath (particularly the mattress). Ventilation was provided by a 12" fan (no air conditioning, but the ground-level window could be opened). The bathroom was cramped (about 12ft long but less than 3 ft wide) had fixtures of recent vintage, but the shower was so small (about 3 ft x 3ft) that my elbows kept hitting the faucets and changing the water temperatures. Also, no hooks in the bathroom to hang up towels, etc. And not surprisingly, no WiFi / internet.

Parking spots are available on premises, but most are accessed directly from a busy street. There are two spots (and these were safer for parking) located off the side street.

Breakfast, for which a voucher was provided, could be had a local restaurant a 10-minute walk (or 3-minute drive) from the Auberge. This came as a surprise to us, as we had expected that breakfast (even a continental breakfast) would have been available on-site.

We had planned on staying for 2 nights, but after a miserable night's sleep (for both my wife and I) we decided to forgo our second night's stay. The owners did not reimburse us for the second night since we decided to not stay at the Auberge until later on the second day - and I felt that was fair, but to a point, as one might understand.

If you expect to stay in a place with very basic amenities with plenty of "cachet", IMO this Auberge will not disappoint you.

One word of advice: On arrival, check out the room *before* you commit to signing your credit card. (This is a hard lesson I learned.)

Room Tip: Ask if the room you would like to rent is located in the basement.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Auberge Maison Roy? Share your experiences!