“Perfect deal! Great location, clean, breakfast included and cheap!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of L'Auberge Saint Louis

Save Saved
You added L'Auberge Saint Louis to your Saves list
L'Auberge Saint Louis
48 Rue Saint-Louis | Vieux-Québec, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 3Z3, Canada (Downtown Quebec City)   |
Ranked #73 of 125 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Perfect deal! Great location, clean, breakfast included and cheap!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

We were 4 couples going together to Québec for its famous carnival. We wanted a cheap hostel with good location close to Carnival activities.
Auberge Saint-Louis was above our expectations. Well, staff's welcome was a bit tough ("Hello. Name? Here are your keys") but we were not looking for any service. Just a good place to sleep over and reach attractions easily.
All our rooms were spacious with a large bed and very clean!
We shared bathrooms and toilet but there also, it was all clean (Just note that the last 2 people having their shower had no more hot water)
Furthermore, breakfast was included and a perfect morning start!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

L'Auberge St. Louis

The pictures in this Gallery don't begin to do justice to the rooms we were given.

I booked two rooms with bath from PEI for an overnight on our return trip to Ottawa. The rates quoted were $109 each ($126.72 tx. incl.) The room pictured in your website looked quite pleasant and when I called to confirm the email request for available rooms was told that the rooms would be at the rear of the Auberge which would be quieter than the front. There was no mention that the rooms would not bear any resemblance to the one in the website, with the exception of the paint color.

While my friend and I took the car to the parking garage a few blocks from the Hotel our wives checked in. When we returned our wives were so upset about the rooms they were already out on the street. The rooms were in the back with almost no windows. Ours (No.10) had two windows, one was barely large enough to contain an AC unit and the other was dirty obscured wired glass. Surface wiring and some disconnected wires left some doubts about the safety of the facility. There was a double bed in an alcove that left little space to get in and access an open closet on one wall. Reaching the bed was made even more difficult by the hide-a-bed which was at the foot on one side. We managed to relocate this enough to get by and also a floor lamp which allowed us to get into bed before shutting the light off.

Our room did have an adequate bath but our friends who stayed in No.16 had a tiny bathroom with a prefab shower stall that was so small it was hardly large enough for an adult and forget the soap if you dropped it. The room also looked nothing like the one advertised with an amazing box (cube 1.5 x 1.5 M) projecting into the room by about 1 M which was painted to match the walls and not quite disguised as a headboard. We speculated on what it might contain. Windows were also limited.

The wireless internet worked initially but seemed to be shut down when the desk closed in the evening.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Had a room with a private shower and sink, but shared toilet. This was never an issue. The location couldn't have been better. From here you could walk in less than 5 minutes to most of the major tourist sites (frontenac, the boardwalk along the cliff, the old fortifications, the citadel and the plains of abraham).

I knew going in that the room would be tiny, but for the price it was fine with me. For the space there, it was also very well organized and didn't feel as small as it looked. The wifi is a plus.

But...despite the room looking pristine when I got there, I woke up with bites all over my arms and legs. New bites appeared each morning I was there. I checked the mattress and bedframe and didn't see any evidence of bugs, but I really don't know what else it could've been. Ultimately because of this I do not think I could recommend the place despite the value and location.

P.S. the breakfasts down the street were great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

This is a great hotel in the heart of Quebec City! The rooms are tastefully decorated and very clean. Our room had a private sink and shower, but the toilet was shared with others on the floor--this was not a problem as it was never occupied when we needed it. They provide breakfast vouchers for a nearby restaurant, which has good food. We would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I came to stay here on my 2 day trip to Quebec as a solo traveler. Don't be fooled by the great location and seemingly decent cost. The service alone leaves you a sorry feeling and makes you wish you hadn't booked this place.

1. The sign outside says $69 per night, and I booked via Expedia for $109. To explain the price discrepancy, the front desk lady was very curt and says she cannot lower price due to the % they pay to expedia. (So, if you must stay there - you should call the Auberge directly for booking to save $$).

2. This has got to be the worst customer service I've received. The front desk lady was extremely curt and short with her answers and service to me during my 1 night stay. When I ask her for recommendations to restaurants, her response was: "Just walk around outside, there are alot!". She had a grouch the whole time and didn't crack one smile, the way she interacted with the maids was also so bad that I thought she was running a nazi regime.

3. There's an overwhelming $10 charge for lost/misplaced keys. That's outrageous!

4. The breakfast is free - but they send you to a small restaurant down the street to eat, where the service is just as bad. The waitress didn't crack a smile. Why do they hire people that hate their jobs?

Trust me on this.. don't book this terrible place and let it potentially ruin your trip experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
globetrottersolo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

This place is a perfect location and a terrific value. The staff is very helpful. The only downside is that there is no elevator. So if you are traveling with babies or elderly parents make sure to book a room on the first floor. All the rest of us should have no problem navigating the stairs. The rooms are not big or fancy. They are clean, comfortable and quiet. If you need luxury this is not your place. If you are an experienced budget traveler who knows that your accommodation only needs to be clean, comfortable and convenient then this is your place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
The East Neuk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

The Saint Louis is a great choice for those on a budget in QC who want a good location but aren't too fussed about extra frills. It's bang on one of the main roads in the upper old city and surrounded with stores and restaurants. Reception is on ground floor and staffed seemingly round the clock (although you have to bang on the door after 11pm or something like that). Service was friendly and quick.

I had one of the rooms with shared bathroom facilities which was on the third floor. For me the room was alright, clean with a desk, sink, tv, free wi-fi etc. The problem for the St Louis, but also what makes it good, is that it's an old building. So, the stairs and corridors are (very) narrow and getting luggage up there is a bit of a chore. The room was also quite hot, great if you like that but not a good thing for me. Finally, the shared bathroom/ shower is one room between 4 or 5 rooms. If you're lucky this is no big deal but on more than one occasion I found myself wishing other people were a bit quicker and tidier.

But you pay your price, save a few pennies, get a great location, really nice breakfasts (down the road near the Chateau F) , and friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to L'Auberge Saint Louis? Share your experiences!