“Unbelievable value... 69€ (10€ for 24hr parking, garage opposite..)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Auberge Saint Louis

You added L'Auberge Saint Louis to your Saves list
L'Auberge Saint Louis
48 Rue Saint-Louis | Vieux-Québec, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 3Z3, Canada (Downtown Quebec City)   |
Ranked #66 of 124 Quebec City B&B and Inns
“Unbelievable value... 69€ (10€ for 24hr parking, garage opposite..)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Having walked around the old town and been to 4 other places ranging between 170-99€ we came accross this very unpretentious Auberge. Don't be put off by the downstairs reception it gets better when you get to the rooms. We were on the 3rd floor at the back. Very quiet. The room was quite small but they had made the best use of the space available and little thoughtful things like accessible plug above the bed for recharging electronic devises. The room was very clean and contemporary and tastefully decorated in cream and taupe. Quebec itself is a very pretty city especially at night when the roofs in the old part are lit up and very beautiful. If you stay here for 69€ you can afford a cocktail in the bar at the Chateau Fairmont overlooking the River Lawrence...an experience not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Let's start off by setting expectations. L'Auberge Saint Louis is not a luxury hotel but it is a fantastic option for travelers who on a budget and are just looking for a nice, clean place to stay in which is close to all of the attractions. This hotel ticks all of those boxes and more!

My boyfriend and I had 3 nights at L'Auberge Saint Louis. We did our research and looked at other reviews so asked for a larger room facing the street. The staff were very friendly and eager to assist with our request and even better, did it in English as our French was poor. We managed to get a nice big room on the 4th floor - bear in mind, this is the attic essentially so in some areas the room lacked ceiling space. Nevertheless, the room had a great view of Saint Louis which stretches all the way down to Chateau Frontenac.

As we were facing the street there was quite a bit of street noise with the windows open. The staff warned us of this when we asked for a room facing the street so it was not unexpected and certainly not unbearable.if you are a light sleeper though, I would suggest earplugs or a room that doesn't face the street.

One small note about the 4th floor is that you do have to climb quite a steep staircase on the last flight so do be aware if you have lots of luggage. A tip - there is another staircase at the opposite end of the hallway which is a little easier to navigate.

We had our own sink in the room and a shared bathroom just down the hallway. The room was clean and tidy, although the duvet cover on the bed could probably do with a little more regular washing. The bathroom was immaculate. Our only gripe was that the hot water for the shower took about 5-10mins to come. Although it was a shared bathroom, we didn't ever have to wait to use it and there were plenty more downstairs if you were desperate.

Breakfast was included each day at the restaurant downstairs. It was basic - we had a choice of a croissant, a crepe or an egg each served with toast as well as tea, coffee, juice etc - but all we needed and the staff were very quick to get the food out to you even when there were lots of guests down there at once.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good value stay in the heart of old Quebec. I would not recommend to anyone accustomed to staying in 5 star resorts - there are plenty of other stays in Old Quebec for you!

• Stayed September 2011
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

We were 4 couples going together to Québec for its famous carnival. We wanted a cheap hostel with good location close to Carnival activities.
Auberge Saint-Louis was above our expectations. Well, staff's welcome was a bit tough ("Hello. Name? Here are your keys") but we were not looking for any service. Just a good place to sleep over and reach attractions easily.
All our rooms were spacious with a large bed and very clean!
We shared bathrooms and toilet but there also, it was all clean (Just note that the last 2 people having their shower had no more hot water)
Furthermore, breakfast was included and a perfect morning start!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Ottawa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

L'Auberge St. Louis

The pictures in this Gallery don't begin to do justice to the rooms we were given.

I booked two rooms with bath from PEI for an overnight on our return trip to Ottawa. The rates quoted were $109 each ($126.72 tx. incl.) The room pictured in your website looked quite pleasant and when I called to confirm the email request for available rooms was told that the rooms would be at the rear of the Auberge which would be quieter than the front. There was no mention that the rooms would not bear any resemblance to the one in the website, with the exception of the paint color.

While my friend and I took the car to the parking garage a few blocks from the Hotel our wives checked in. When we returned our wives were so upset about the rooms they were already out on the street. The rooms were in the back with almost no windows. Ours (No.10) had two windows, one was barely large enough to contain an AC unit and the other was dirty obscured wired glass. Surface wiring and some disconnected wires left some doubts about the safety of the facility. There was a double bed in an alcove that left little space to get in and access an open closet on one wall. Reaching the bed was made even more difficult by the hide-a-bed which was at the foot on one side. We managed to relocate this enough to get by and also a floor lamp which allowed us to get into bed before shutting the light off.

Our room did have an adequate bath but our friends who stayed in No.16 had a tiny bathroom with a prefab shower stall that was so small it was hardly large enough for an adult and forget the soap if you dropped it. The room also looked nothing like the one advertised with an amazing box (cube 1.5 x 1.5 M) projecting into the room by about 1 M which was painted to match the walls and not quite disguised as a headboard. We speculated on what it might contain. Windows were also limited.

The wireless internet worked initially but seemed to be shut down when the desk closed in the evening.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Had a room with a private shower and sink, but shared toilet. This was never an issue. The location couldn't have been better. From here you could walk in less than 5 minutes to most of the major tourist sites (frontenac, the boardwalk along the cliff, the old fortifications, the citadel and the plains of abraham).

I knew going in that the room would be tiny, but for the price it was fine with me. For the space there, it was also very well organized and didn't feel as small as it looked. The wifi is a plus.

But...despite the room looking pristine when I got there, I woke up with bites all over my arms and legs. New bites appeared each morning I was there. I checked the mattress and bedframe and didn't see any evidence of bugs, but I really don't know what else it could've been. Ultimately because of this I do not think I could recommend the place despite the value and location.

P.S. the breakfasts down the street were great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

This is a great hotel in the heart of Quebec City! The rooms are tastefully decorated and very clean. Our room had a private sink and shower, but the toilet was shared with others on the floor--this was not a problem as it was never occupied when we needed it. They provide breakfast vouchers for a nearby restaurant, which has good food. We would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I came to stay here on my 2 day trip to Quebec as a solo traveler. Don't be fooled by the great location and seemingly decent cost. The service alone leaves you a sorry feeling and makes you wish you hadn't booked this place.

1. The sign outside says $69 per night, and I booked via Expedia for $109. To explain the price discrepancy, the front desk lady was very curt and says she cannot lower price due to the % they pay to expedia. (So, if you must stay there - you should call the Auberge directly for booking to save $$).

2. This has got to be the worst customer service I've received. The front desk lady was extremely curt and short with her answers and service to me during my 1 night stay. When I ask her for recommendations to restaurants, her response was: "Just walk around outside, there are alot!". She had a grouch the whole time and didn't crack one smile, the way she interacted with the maids was also so bad that I thought she was running a nazi regime.

3. There's an overwhelming $10 charge for lost/misplaced keys. That's outrageous!

4. The breakfast is free - but they send you to a small restaurant down the street to eat, where the service is just as bad. The waitress didn't crack a smile. Why do they hire people that hate their jobs?

Trust me on this.. don't book this terrible place and let it potentially ruin your trip experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to L'Auberge Saint Louis? Share your experiences!