“Good location, but some drawbacks” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Louisbourg

Hotel Louisbourg
You added Hotel Louisbourg to your Saves list
Hotel Louisbourg
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   68 Saint Louis Street, Quebec City, Quebec G1R 3Z3, Canada   |
Ranked #76 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Sunnyvale, California
“Good location, but some drawbacks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here the last weekend of June 2014. We are American, so we wanted a place where we could park the car and not have to drive due to our inability to read French street signs.

The check in procedure was a bit of a hassle. It took a little while to find the hotel, once we finally found it we were disheartened to learn that the check in is at a DIFFERENT hotel. We drove around again and found the next hotel, upon checkout we learned that it was a short walk away.

Parking was $20 and is valet. We knew we would have to pay to park, so this was not a surprise.

The room was super tiny. I have made various trips to Europe and would say the room was much more comparable to that type of hotel room than American ones. There was very minimal room to store our belongings.

The room seemed clean. We had perfect sunny weather, but it was nice to see an umbrella in the closet for rainy days.

The wifi was among the worst I have experienced. The internet was down about 80% of the time that we tried to get online.

This hotel is centrally located. It's nice to be right in the midst of shopping, historic sites and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sebastien_Collin, Manager at Hotel Louisbourg, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your comments about our hotel.
We're pleased to see that you have enjoyed most part of your stay. We do apologize about the Wi-Fi we had difficulties with it during this week end. :(
We hope to have the chance to welcome you again.
Sébastien Collin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

My adult daughter and I just finished a four day three night stay at the Hotel Louisbourg and would definitely recommend it and stay again.

The room is small in comparison to chain hotel rooms but there was plenty of room for two plus all of our baggage and very clean. The closet did have an iron and ironing board, a coffee maker, and a hairdryer in the bathroom with plenty of towels. We were lucky enough to have the top floor with a great view. Be advised there is no elevator/lift in the building but the valet was kind enough to bring up (and down) our bags as it was not too busy. There is a valet service for a daily fee but you can request your car as often as you like without an additional fee. We did not take advantage of this option as we walked throughout the city every day. The hotel is located just inside the wall of ‘old Quebec’ in a lovely neighborhood with close walking distance to all the restaurants and shopping you can handle. The building is secured by key (24 hrs) as well as the room which is a nice added security feature although we did not feel it was warranted. We felt very safe coming and going at any time of day.

The hotel staff was wonderful to us and happy to help with all of our questions and requests for recommendations. The only tiny bump was when we first arrived. Although the building address is on St. Louisbourg, the reception desk is located on St. Ursule (take a left onto St. Ursule and check into Hotel Acadia). This may be noted on their website and we overlooked it but it took us about 15 mins and asking many people on the road where we should go. Again, a small bump but good to know ahead of time. We cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Although the building address is on St. Louisbourg, the reception desk is located on St. Ursule (tak...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your comment about our hotel Louisbourg.
We're really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and this will be a real pleasure to welcome again!
Best regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I went to Quebec City for a business conference. My train arrived at 9pm and I took a taxi to the Acadia hotel for check-in. It was a struggle opening the door as I had many bags, laptop, umbrella, etc. The concierge stood there in front of door and did not bother helping me.
I checked in, was given keys and was told to wealk to other hotel. A map would have been useful! I don't know Quebec very well at all so turn left, walk, turn left isn't very helpful. It was late, dark and my bags were heavy.
Getting to the room, I was faced with men sitting outside my door on the floor, drinking. They nicely moved out of the way so I could get to my room but then my door would not lock. I called the desk to advise them, ask for help to lock door or ask if another room was avaliable?
I was told the door downstairs to outside locks so that should be good enough and that no rooms were available. I'm a single, young, 5-ft girl and I really did not feel safe at all. After a long day of traveling, this is the last thing you want. The walls were paper thin and I could hear the men outside and just feared the door would open.
I called my mom & dad who booked me a room down the street then returned to the front desk to check out and return the keys.
Now well past 11pm, i finally made it to the Marriott (which was great by the way so I suggest you stay there).
I called yesterday to confirm the refund but was told it would not be possible because I left "for no reason" and should have cancelled 48 hours in advance,

I absolutely did not want to cancel at all! I wanted a room to sleep and get ready for the conference the next morning! I was exhausted from travelling and just wanted to rest.

I'm still waiting for them to get back in touch with me.

Monsieur Collins...

Room Tip: A room that locks!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Sebastien_Collin, Manager at Hotel Louisbourg, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience,
We do apologize for what happen during your brief stay at our hotel.
We're not able to find any information to contact you,
So please join me at 418-694-0918 #143
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We arrived by taxi with baggage in the middle of a cold and rainy afternoon. The taxi left and we discovered that the doors were locked and that the check-in was a block away. This should have been explained in our confirmation email. When I suggested it would have been nice not to lug our luggage back and forth in the rain and that advance notice would have been appreciated, or maybe a good idea for future guests, the check-in woman was defensive and said that it was Expedia's job to have done this. Whatever, it was very awkward and frustrating. The stairs (no elevator--which is fine) up to the 4th floor (which we asked for for quiet) were so saggy and cracked towards the inside of the spiral-like staircase that we felt we couldn't walk on the stairs together and kept to the outer edge when we did. The bathroom tile floor was so soft that it felt like it was goiing to collapse any moment. Towels were extremely worn, and even my rags at home are in better condition. The room smelled--not of smoke or anything distinct, but it did smell bad. It was clean, and it had a nice little window that opened for fresh air. Security seemed flimsy with only a doorknob lock and an incorrectly installed latch that couldn't be fastened. The furniture was very sad, cheap, and had seen many better years. We had asked for a second umbrella to walk around in the rain, and really had to plead our case for it after initially being told there was "1 per room". The desk clerk reluctantly eventually got one from one of the many unused rooms. The "spa" available in a sister hotel was a joke. There is no shower, The hottub was luke-warm, and it was in need of a new filter based on the stuff floating around in it. On departure we asked for help down the stairs with our bags and though we confirmed the day before to have help in advance for the time our taxi was booked, no one showed up so we did it ourselves-we were not surprised by this as the staff had a rather snobby attitude that a place of this low calibre could well not afford. We are a seasoned-travelled 50-year old couple who speak a little French, and this is the worst place we have ever stayed. We prefer a good location and expect small, but safe and generally all-around better rooms than this place offered. The location was the best thing the Hotel Louisbourg has going for it. We would never consider staying there again as there seemed to be approximately 30-ish other quaint hotels in old Quebec that had similar location at similar rates.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
FBergeron-Ouellet, General Manager at Hotel Louisbourg, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to share you comment about our hotel.
We're really sad to see what happened to you during your vacation.
We work hard to offer a great service and this comment will push us to work harder.
But there is a little thing, about the check in information, this is written down on Expedia where you have to check and agree the terms and conditions that the check in has to be made at the Hotel Acadia. For the rest there is no excuse and we take great consideration of your comment and do our best to improve our performance.
Hoping to have the chance to welcome you again.
Best regards,
Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We booked the Hotel Louisbourg through a Travelzoo special in January. Neither of us had been to Quebec City before and it was on our list of places to visit. We booked for $79/night and included parking and breakfast. From check in to check out we had great service. All hotel employees we had contact with were helpful and professional. We checked in at the Hotel Acadia and then valet took our car and us to the back parking lot at the Hotel Louisbourg. Helped to bring out luggage to our room. We weren't sure whether there were mini-fridges in the rooms so we had brought our electric cooler with us - not necessary. When we had booked our trip, in the extra comments section I had asked whether mini-fridge in room but hadn't heard back however when we got to our room a mini-fridge had been put in our room. So I am thinking that if you want a mini-fridge you just have to ask - not sure if there is an extra cost during the high tourist season though. After reading other reviews I guess also a daily cost for parking also during high season. Our room was small but very comfortable - had a window overlooking the back lot - what we could see beyond the snow. Bed was comfortable. Would have liked to been able to adjust room temperature ourselves as I found warm at night since radiator next to my side of bed. A couple of the days we opened the window in our room to cool it off. Bathroom small but functional. Even though they had the note to hang towels up if new not needed, we had fresh towels left everyday. Only one morning (the busiest of the four mornings we were there) did we have issues with the water - cold then hot, etc. Other mornings no problem with water temperature. The included American breakfast buffet was an added bonus. Same items every morning. Dry cereals, toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, hash browns and crepe. Plus yogurt, fruit salad, cheese and juice. Coffee and black and green tea. Only one morning the eggs were not good - I believe they are the processed dry product that ?water is added to - however when they are finished they should be stirred up and they get the scrambled egg look. This one morning we figure they forgot that step so eggs had a fluffy consistency and were odd when you ate them, almost a smooth texture. Food fairly bland for the most part but that is usual for this type of breakfast buffet. Good service every morning by the servers. The location of the hotel is excellent. Right on one of the main streets going into the old city. Close to everything. We parked the car on arrival and didn't use again until we left as we walked everywhere. We had a great stay at the Hotel Louisbourg and wouldn't hesitate to stay again or recommend.

Room Tip: No elevator so lots of stairs. If stairs are an issue, you should request a lower floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
FBergeron-Ouellet, General Manager at Hotel Louisbourg, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your comment about our hotel.
We're pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and it will be a real pleasure to welcome you again.

Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

In the heart of Old-Quebec, we could leave the 'hotel' and stroll to everything we wanted to see. We stayed for three nights on the top floor facing the street. You can hear the horse-drawn carriages go by and it was like taking a step back in time. This is more of a bed-and-breakfast style house with rooms than a hotel, but it had everything we needed. Small, comfortable, quiet and clean with exposed stone wall, you will have the basics. It is not modern or spacious; there isn't a bar fridge and I'm not certain you have the ability to adjust the heat. The price is right due to the convenient location only. You check-in around the corner at the Acadia and bring your luggage to the hotel as the valet parks your car. An experience unlike any other I've had and I would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
FBergeron-Ouellet, General Manager at Hotel Louisbourg, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your comment about our hotel.
We're pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and it will be a real pleasure to welcome you again!
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Beautiful historical building in Old Quebec. Everything was a short walk away. We stayed for three nights and never bothered to retrieve our car until check-out. Everyone was very helpful at check-in. Valet service was a life-saver given the narrow streets, and they'll carry your bags for you. What more could you ask?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FBergeron-Ouellet, General Manager at Hotel Louisbourg, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel Louisbourg.
We're pleased to see that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay.
Hoping to welcome you again.
François Bergeron-Ouellet

Been to Hotel Louisbourg? Share your experiences!