“Great location near the lower town” 4 of 5 stars

Le Port-Royal
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Rue St-Pierre, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 8N8, Canada   |
Ranked #39 of 97 hotels in Quebec City
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Great location near the lower town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Easy walking distance to everything and right next to the port. One of the few lower town hotels to have onsite parking. Our room also had a kitchen and given that the farmers' market is only 2 blocks away, it made breakfast very tasty and easy. We had a room facing the parking lot and bar/patio and did get a lot of noise. A room in the back would be better. We had one very comfy king bed and a sofa bed which was very uncomfortable according to our kids. Wifi only worked in the lobby area.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the back.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen, room 107. We booked 2 nights, but after the first night we decided to extend our stay, and were able to keep the same room for the 3rd night.The room was very nice and clean. I loved the stone walls, they blended into modern decor very well. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, a bit on the soft side, but I like my beds harder than most people.
Kitchen: not as well equipped as I hoped, but not terrible. It had only 1 old warped frying pan and 2 pots. The first thing we did was request a second frying pan. My boyfriend said they looked at him as if he had 2 heads, bt they did bring a brand new nonstick pan in about 10 minutes. I am pretty sure they've never had such a request before :) What can I say, I do like my protein pancakes in the morning.
The location doesn't get much better, our car stayed parked for 3 days, we simply didn't need it. Close to everything: food, main attractions. Note that there is a bar attached to the hotel, and it can be very noisy in the evening. Our room (#107) was on the other side, and we didn't hear a thing, but I can only imagine how it was for those poor people just above the patio.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our last night of a week's vacation in the Maritimes was to be a night in Quebec City in a lovely hotel as a treat for the family. After a lot of research on-line, the Port Royal emerged as an obvious, if pricey choice of hostelry. It was a Friday night and quite busy when we arrived. The staff was competent and efficient. After a long day's drive, my partner and I wanted to enjoy a quiet drink in our very spacious superior suite. Unfortunately our suite was on the parking lot/bar side of the building and three floors up, the bass rattled the windows and every note made its way up as clearly as if we were sitting on the patio. We called the front desk to ask for a room elsewhere and were told that no other rooms were available. Now, I don't fully understand the relationship between Bookings.com and the individual hotels but when I booked the hotel on line, the bookings.com site said very very clearly that there was only one suite left. Having been told by the front desk that there were no other rooms, I was very surprised to check the bookings.com website and find that there were more superior suites now available. As I say I don't know what the relationship is between the hotel and booking site but it has been my experience in the past that front desk clerks are not beyond lying about availability of alternate rooms when they don't feel like dealing. We were comped free parking and that was that. We were also told that no manager was on site during the weekend so that any further complaints would have to be made by email after our departure.

As for the room, I was initially impressed but as we settled in, it became apparent that the place was shabby in a way that was anything but chic. I will post pictures but in general the walls are scuffed, corners are chipped, windows are mildew stained, and holes need patching. In the bathroom, overhead lights were burned out with the fixture hanging loose and the floor tile was cracked. In the bedroom, the furniture was a few grades below IKEA including fibreboard bedside tables and a bed that was a basic mattress without a box spring resting on a flimsy set of springs. The worst part of the set up was the fact that the floors were sloping, perfectly acceptable for an historic building, but no effort had been made to level the bed, which sloped a full three inches from one side to the other. In the living area the fibreboard dining table was a scratched and scraped relic that St Vincent De Paul would have been dubious of receiving as a donation.

Back to bedding - As I have mentioned in other reviews, if you advertise accommodations for four people you need to deliver decent sleeping arrangements for four people. So WHY THE HELL do hotels think that pull out sofas that university students would turf to the curb as intolerable should be considered an adequate offering that justifies the prices charged?

In the Port Royal's defence, several of these criticisms have been common refrains in my other reviews but as a consumer I am far more interested in my experience as a guest than the year end profits of the hotel. The Port Royal is not a landmark institution whose loss from the landscape would be a blow to the historic continuity of a world heritage site. Quite the contrary, the suite I was in clearly had been a condo or apartment in the recent past judging by the coarsely patched hook ups for laundry units in the bathroom closet. And this is what makes this property such a disappointment. At $300.00 a night, the suite should shine. And it could have shone if management was willing to take the hit on pulling a room at a time out of the revenue stream to tune the little things, and make minimal investments in amenities. Instead the Port Royal offers free fruity cocktails in the hopes that tipsy guests won't notice the sloping beds, cardboard furniture and electrical cords cut and spliced dangling from holes in the walls.

If this is what passes for 4 stars in Quebec City. Give me the Motel 6. I'll have just as good a time in the city with a lot more cash in my pocket.

Room Tip: If the charm and location still sway you into choosing this hotel, get a suite on the side of the bu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Wonderful location in lower town near port and marche. Modern rooms with kitchen amenities make this a pleasant place to stay. SSS and cafe st malo just across the street both highly recommended. Individual room air conditioners a bit loud

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Do not stay here if you are looking for a quiet or relaxing stay. There is dreadful music playing on the patio. Think really bad cover music at full volume. We asked to move but the hotel was full and our request was denied. I had to leave my room shortly after I checked in because it was hard to hold a conversation, even with the windows closed. Our stay was supposed to be the luxurious end to a trip through the maritime s but if I had known that the live music was going to be happening I would have stayed elsewhere. Check the schedule and which way your room faces, unless you like bob marley cover tunes at full blast.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

stayed at port royal between july 19-21.
stayed in suite 204. we were 2 couples. had a good sized bedroom with its own tv and the living room has a fold out couch plus a 42" tv. full kitchen big bathroom. very comfortable for 4 people. did not feel cramped. parking attached to building reserved for hotel. all the people working here were courtious and helpful. all perfectly bilingual. this hotel is situated in lower old quebec. didn't move the car. everything within walking distance and you will want to walk around here because old quebec is beautiful and pleasant. i have never seen such a clean city. didn't see so much as a gum wrapper. plenty of good restaurants through both lower and higher sections.
we will surely go back to this hotel next time we visit.
ps. all of old quebec is geared to pleasing tourists. all friendly and bilingual. no price traps either. montreal could sure learn from this city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed from July 11-15 and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. We stayed in room 116 and loved the modern decor combined with the brick walls and charm of an older building. The bed was amazingly comfortable, with white sheets which you know are clean! You could hear street noise from our room, but nothing major.

The only downside I could see for some people would be that the hotel is located at the bottom of old Quebec, which for us meant a lot of uphill walking.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room on the opposite side of the pub.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Port-Royal? Share your experiences!