“A nice little hotel in a wonderful city” 5 of 5 stars

Le Port-Royal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Rue St-Pierre, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 8N8, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Quebec City
Montreal
“A nice little hotel in a wonderful city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel was recommended by friends and I wasn't disappointed. Its located near the port and The Rue St. Paul, which is a charming shopping street. Very nice staff and varied hotel rooms. The restaurant in the hotel is worth checking out.

Room Tip: The rooms are all very different so the choice of room can make a difference.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Where to begin? At the beginning, I suppose.

When we arrived at our room, it was not at all how it looked on the website. It was small and dark and the exposed pipes made my young son nervous (I think he was expecting spiders to be dropping off them, or something).

One of the lights did not work. The sofa bed had food remnants (nuts) in it. When we moved a notepad on the desk, we discovered that the desk was damaged. I went to reception and told them and then when I went back upstairs, I moved the phone to put a bag there and discovered another hole. There were also hairs on the bathroom floor and the utensils in the kitchen were a bit dirty.

The next morning, we left the "do not change sheets" card on the bed, but on the second and third mornings we did not. The sheets were still not changed. The room was also a bit noisy, as we could often hear people above and beside us making noise.

I can't say it as terrible, but it was certainly not good, either and it definitely did not match the impression we got from the website. From the other comments posted here, I am left thinking that there is a tremendous difference in the quality of the various rooms.

I would not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We rented a suite and did not regret one second!
Everything is perfect.
Clean, well located in petit champlain sector. wi fi is free but costs for parking.
I loved the view, we could see chateau frontenac . best location in an historical building. The fireplace was absolutely wonderful. We would return to this hotel anytime! Bell person and reception people very nice.Overall great service! Congradulation

Room Tip: suites are incredible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is very well located, close to everything.
The room was spacious, simply but elegantly decorated.
Everything is there to accommodate customers.
The staff is very welcoming and polite.
We shopped on Expedia and got our hands on a deal and came across this wonderful little hotel.
A little trick we laughed, we did not know where the switches to turn on the lights in the room, it took us some time to find them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Location is great, but...
I speak fluent French, my wife is French Canadian from Quebec City, so, there was no issue with communication. The front desk staff is somewhat aloof (not all of them, but enough of them to be slightly annoying). The walls in the rooms are paper thin, we could easily hear the people next door and certainly the people above us. I don't think they were walking heavily, but, they certainly made a lot of noise at 2am, especially rolling the desk chair back and forth (likely sitting at the desk using a computer). OK, that's allowed, I do it, I just don't want to hear my neighbours.

Like many hotels, they have a sheet change card. Leave it on the bed...don't change the sheets, not in view...change the sheets. On several occasions, the sheets were NOT changed. I asked at the front desk and the desk clerk didn't know about the card and looked at me as if I was strange. Nevertheless, that night the sheets were changed since I had insisted. Our room was nice, large, small kitchen with hot plate, microwave, coffee maker, fridge, (functional and allowed us to have breakfast in the room and cook a few meals. The view is overlooking the parking lot (the other option is overlooking the gas station)...but...sitting on the sofa, looking out at the neighbouring old buildings as it snowed was lovely. View straight down to the parking lot is what it is. On check out we were seriously overloaded (we drove there and besides shopping, were bringing things home from my wife's mom), so, the hotel cart was a bit hard to manage. Pushed it past the front desk towards the door. Two staff at the desk and no one offered to help me get it out the door or hold the doors open. This was at 7 am, the lobby was empty. Little things but annoying. Can't comment on the restaurant, didn't try it. Might stay here again, might not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I loved this boutique, quaint hotel in Old Quebec.. This boutique gem has an amazing restaurant, excellent service, a wonderful gym. The best part was our room. We come from the New York City area and have stayed in some beautiful unique places. Our room at Le Port Royal was Euro-Urban Chic all the way.. We absolutely loved it.. Best part, CLASSICAL MUSIC WAS PLAYING FROM THE SOUND SYSTEM WHEN WE CHECKED IN...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Rooms are modern, clean, comfy. Bit or road noise, but manageable. Staff was very good. Had a broken door spring which they fixed right away. The restaurant is very good as well, we only did breakfast,mbut it was excellent for taste, quality, and value. I would stay again, just remember, it is at the bottom of the hill, so if you are heading up then you will get your excercise as it is a climb.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Le Port-Royal? Share your experiences!