“Not a five, could have been a four, but, not a four.” 3 of 5 stars

Le Port-Royal
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Rue St-Pierre, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 8N8, Canada   |
Ranked #42 of 97 hotels in Quebec City
Nova Scotia
“Not a five, could have been a four, but, not a four.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Location is great, but...
I speak fluent French, my wife is French Canadian from Quebec City, so, there was no issue with communication. The front desk staff is somewhat aloof (not all of them, but enough of them to be slightly annoying). The walls in the rooms are paper thin, we could easily hear the people next door and certainly the people above us. I don't think they were walking heavily, but, they certainly made a lot of noise at 2am, especially rolling the desk chair back and forth (likely sitting at the desk using a computer). OK, that's allowed, I do it, I just don't want to hear my neighbours.

Like many hotels, they have a sheet change card. Leave it on the bed...don't change the sheets, not in view...change the sheets. On several occasions, the sheets were NOT changed. I asked at the front desk and the desk clerk didn't know about the card and looked at me as if I was strange. Nevertheless, that night the sheets were changed since I had insisted. Our room was nice, large, small kitchen with hot plate, microwave, coffee maker, fridge, (functional and allowed us to have breakfast in the room and cook a few meals. The view is overlooking the parking lot (the other option is overlooking the gas station)...but...sitting on the sofa, looking out at the neighbouring old buildings as it snowed was lovely. View straight down to the parking lot is what it is. On check out we were seriously overloaded (we drove there and besides shopping, were bringing things home from my wife's mom), so, the hotel cart was a bit hard to manage. Pushed it past the front desk towards the door. Two staff at the desk and no one offered to help me get it out the door or hold the doors open. This was at 7 am, the lobby was empty. Little things but annoying. Can't comment on the restaurant, didn't try it. Might stay here again, might not.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Lyndhurst, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I loved this boutique, quaint hotel in Old Quebec.. This boutique gem has an amazing restaurant, excellent service, a wonderful gym. The best part was our room. We come from the New York City area and have stayed in some beautiful unique places. Our room at Le Port Royal was Euro-Urban Chic all the way.. We absolutely loved it.. Best part, CLASSICAL MUSIC WAS PLAYING FROM THE SOUND SYSTEM WHEN WE CHECKED IN...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Rooms are modern, clean, comfy. Bit or road noise, but manageable. Staff was very good. Had a broken door spring which they fixed right away. The restaurant is very good as well, we only did breakfast,mbut it was excellent for taste, quality, and value. I would stay again, just remember, it is at the bottom of the hill, so if you are heading up then you will get your excercise as it is a climb.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel was great - had what we needed. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Quebec City. We were a family of four, mom, dad, two children aged 7 and 4. My only recommendations to others would be to ask for a room AWAY from the service station and ask for a corner room. The other reviews I read on trip advisor were spot-on. The gas station nearby is the closest place for bread, milk, butter, etc. The location was good. The housekeeping could have been better - when we moved furniture we found some dustbunnies etc that indicated the furniture had not been moved in a while. The staff could have been friendlier - for example, we wanted to book a cab to go to the Hotel de Glace (Ice Hotel) and the front desk attendant said it was an hour away and was dismissive with us. In fact, it was a 10 minute cab ride away at the site of the former Quebec City zoo. I don't want to turn you away from this hotel, however your experience would be better if you heed the advice :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel, facing the courtyard ( not the Petro-Canada service station) Ask f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed on many hotels around the world and this is the nicest I have ever been in. It was absolutely gorgeous. Our room was huge and the bed was so comfortable. The location is perfect and within a 5 minute walk to everything. For $200 a night I was so impressed.

• Stayed February 2013
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Don't take the gastronomic package "couette gourmande", with the Laurie Raphael Restaurant, you finally pay more than if you would you would have gone separately, and they make you work to get the difference back. The bill or not clear,in the kitchenette there is practically noting to cook in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was an excellent experience! The hotel is located in the heart of Vieux-Quebec with easy access to all the main sights. Its rooms are spacious, very nicely decorated, and have tons of amenities. We had to change the first room because of a problem with the sofa-bed and the staff, while not exceptionally warm, was professional and accommodating. I would definitely stay again at Le Port-Royal!

Room Tip: Choose a corner room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Le Port-Royal? Share your experiences!