“Not sure why everyone is so negative....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Intendant Couette & Cafe

L'Intendant Couette & Cafe
You added L'Intendant Couette & Cafe to your Saves list
L'Intendant Couette & Cafe
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   8 Des-Vaisseaux-Du-Roi, Quebec City, Quebec G1K 6T5, Canada   |
Ranked #117 of 124 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Camden, SC
“Not sure why everyone is so negative....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked this hotel on a whim without reading these reviews. Glad I did...I really enjoyed my short stay. I arrived late, and checked out the next day. I would liked to have been there to see how the cafe was other than for breakfast. Speaking of which, I thought it was excellent. I am not a croissant fan, but this thing was HUGE! And Tasty! Under that was a crepe and some fresh fruit. I was given 2 types of jam, and some maple syrup. I don't drink coffee, and he had no honey for the tea, but the maple syrup worked just fine.

As far as the room, it was comfortable (for one), although the furnishing showed a bit of wear. However, the bed was comfortable. My only "complaint" was the lack of a hair dryer. Oh well, I managed.

The proprietor, I thought, was personable. Even though I arrived late, he took the time to highlight areas on the map where I should go. Since I only had the one day (not even that as my train to Montreal left that evening), he told me what I would NOT have time for. I thought that was fair. The hotel is very convenient to the train station. Literally across the park, and not far from Old Quebec. Be prepared...there is no elevator ... reminds me of the B&Bs in Europe...so pack light! Lots of steep, narrow stairs; however, the proprietor also carried my carry-on sized bag to my room for me. He even knocked on my door in the morning to remind me of breakfast...I was running a bit behind schedule.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Riverside, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel is barely tolerable. The manager (owner?) is intolerable especially if you do not speak French although that does not hold him back much. He throws things at guests and belittles them. The stated room tariff does not include taxes so the price you actually pay is much higher than indicated.

I would never, ever go back. I would never, ever recommend this to anyone.STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Our rooms were filthy. I am not sure any of the others were any better
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The place is old and smells, very bad service. The man running the place is creepy, sneak up on people, making racial remarks. I agree with other reviews, it was really a terrible experience for me. I wish I read those reviews before I booked this "hotel". This place is not really qualified as hotel or bed and breakfast. It's a place with few rooms in an old building. Somebody just bought it and try to make some money with it, not professional at all. One of the reviews says the owner/operator; "has no interpersonal skills. He's one of the most argumentative, obnoxious individuals I have ever come across". It was exactly what I felt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was an experience that i will avoid in the future, unfriendly service, place is run down, leaky windows make uncomfortable when outside is -20 C.
The internet is useless, it has a heavy firewall so you can only open Facebook on the ipad
At the end of the weekend this guy refused to keep our lugage in the lobby for a couple of hours after the check out time, how is that for good service?
The only pro is that is walking distance from the train

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at this B&B and I would rate it a 2.5. The location was good for a couple of reasons. It is close to the Via Rail train station, literally across the park from the train station, well within walking distance. It is also close to the Old Town; although you will have to hike up hill. They also offer a free breakfast between 8-10 am. My room was spacious and quiet. The only negative thing about this hotel was the proximity to the downtown area. If you want to be close to the nightlife, stay closer to the downtown because it got really cold a few nights and I could not find a taxi back, so I had to walk, which wasn't a big deal because its a small city. The other negative thing about the hotel was the service from the inn keeper. If you're an American, he's rude to you and doesn't seem very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

the first thing you notice is that the hotel smells like old grease, a pungent smell that stays with you for a couple of days after you leave. Once you get pass the smell, you have to deal with the owner/operator. This poor soul needs to read the book "How to ame friends and influence people", he has no interpersonal skills. He's one of the most argumenative, obnoxious indiviudals I have ever come accross. He treats his guests like he's doing them a favor for allowing them to stay in his roach hotel. The rooms are dingy, smelly, the sheets even had hairs from previous guests, which the owner attributed to the laundry service (unlikely) although he did offer to change them. The rooms have no secured locks, so once you are inside the owner, who is also a pretty creepy individual can walk in at any time. Bottom line... Do yourselfe a favor and stay away form this place.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kitchener
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

It is hard to believe any of the positive ratings on this site. The proprietor and the establishment are to be avoided at all costs. Our experience was as follows. Arriving late at night after a tiring day of travel we were herded into a run down bar and subjected to a 45 minute diatribe about what to see and not see in Quebec City (this is really not necessary and I suspect this was a diversion of some sort). Prepayment for our 3 day booking was demanded in advance and we were shown to the suite. We were stunned. He asked if things were OK and we were anxious to be rid of his overbearing presence so we acquiesced. Inspection of the suite revealed a bathroom floor with curling linoleum, furniture not fit for a garage sale and a pervasive odour suggestive of pest treatments. We proceed back to the front desk to cancel our second and third night stay (it was too late to find another hotel) and he pretended to not understand our issues. One thing he did understand very well was that our request for a refund on the remaining nights. He told us he needed 72 hours for any cancellation. We never did get our money back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to L'Intendant Couette & Cafe? Share your experiences!