“Perfect breakfast/brunch place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Vasco de Gama

Cafe Vasco de Gama
1472 Rue Peel | Entre Ste-Catherine & Maisonneuve, Montreal, Quebec H3A 1S8, Canada (Ville-Marie)
+1 514-286-2688
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
New York
“Perfect breakfast/brunch place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

For a high-quality breakfast at a very good price, Vasco da Gama is one of the best. Their selection of Portuguese-style omelettes, crepes, and other dishes has something for all tastes and predilections. We each had a different dish, and they were all magnificent. If you're looking for something to fortify you for a cold, damp day in Montreal, pick the cod omelette - magnifique!

A nice range of hot drinks and espressoes are available, and prices are fair in light of the high quality and imagination of the dishes. Highly recommended for a quick meal if you're staying in one of the hotels off or of around rue Sherbrooke.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Charming gem of a restaurant ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were walking around Montreal in the freezing cold trying to find a cute place for dinner; I finally decided to flag down a local. A sporty gentleman on a bike told us this was his favorite local go-to for casual and delicious fare. He was right ! Service was charming ! Our waiter insisted that I taste several wines in order to select my favorite for dinner . We had a selection of delicious dishes , tapas style. Our favorites were the calamari , the three salad assortment , and the chorizo. My teenage son gobbled down his duck and fig sandwich .
The atmosphere was fun and relaxed . I wish I could thank the bicyclist who sent us to this gem !

Montreal
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I've been here several times and love the food. The price is not bad and service is good. You are given a number for your table, then line up and order your food and they bring it to your table. I've had some very good food here.

The last time I was here was just before Christmas with 2 friends, and even though the food was good, the seating was TERRIBLE. They jammed people in until we were almost sitting on top of each other. Fortunately, everyone around us knew we were all in a can of sardines and were nice about ensuring each others comfort. On top of it there were only short stools with no backs, so it really wasn't very comfortable.
I've been here other times when it wasn't so crowded and it was more comfortable.

I still like it here but will just avoid Christmas visits and eat where it is not so crowded.

Visited December 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Service could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We walked in to this cafe which was very busy and very cozy. The service was terrible though. The staff seemed very confused. We weren't sure if we had to order than seat ourselves or the other way around. GREAT espressos and selection of sweets. Cute little place.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, BC
“Love this little gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I love this little coffee shop on Peel St in Montreal. I visit it every time I am in Montreal. They have the best pastries and they also have a good selection of salads and sandwiches. They also have omelettes. The coffee is excellent though this last time it was not quite as flavorful as normally but still good.

Visited March 2014