“Nothing special dinner in Montreal” 3 of 5 stars
Review of L'atelier

L'atelier
5308 St. Laurent Boulevard, Montreal, QC, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Mile-End)
514-273-7442
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,141 of 4,413 restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mile-End
Montreal, Canada
“Nothing special dinner in Montreal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a coupon for this restaurant so we decided to try it out. We went on a Friday evening and first surprise when we made the reservation. There is only 2 service there on Friday and Saturday, one a 6:00 PM and one at 9:00 PM. The website advertised about this on Saturday only, this was the reason we choose Friday.
The place is good looking with some nice wood wall on one side but it was very dark and noisy.
We didn't wanted to have wine so we brought nothing with us, willing to have some soft drinks but unfortunately they only have tap water...
Menu was interesting, nothing original at all but still some attractive plate. The food was good, just a bit disappointing about the gravy they serve with almost everything. It is good but they could be a bit more imaginative and have something more adapted to the type of meal.
Finally the price was too high for what we had compare to the other similar places you can find in Montreal.
We tried it but we are not going to go there again. There is much better places where to eat.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

51% Recommend
“...eh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

After hearing really good things about L'Atelier, I decided to check it out on a week night with a friend. I had been expecting a noisy atmosphere based on earlier reviews, but it was pleasantly quiet and not overly busy. We started with the trio de canard - magret, fois gras and paté, and the crabcake. The duck trio was easily the highlight of the meal, the flavours were amazing. The crabcake was ok. For mains, we had the ribs and the filet mignon. The ribs came with vegetables and mashed potatoes. The rib portion was generous and were quite good, the accompanying potatoes were already cold when the dish was served. The filet mignon was slightly overdone but delicious nonetheless, the side vegetables were bland. We enjoyed the variety of music that played throughout the evening, however the service was less than stellar. I find the restaurant to be a little pricey; I'm on the fence about a return visit.

Visited July 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Outstanding little BYOW bistro in the heart of Montreal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Don't forget to grab a bottle of your favorite wine before heading to this delectable little bistro in the Plateau district of Montreal. Reservations are required as they only have 2 seatings per night. The service was excellent and very professional. The food was out of this world delicious! They have items such as "Pave de Saumon" on a bed of tomatoe-infused quinoa and light yogurt dressing, "fois gras" with pulled pork, warm goat cheese salad, etc.
Bring your appetite!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Good, but I don't think I'd go back, even with a coupon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

So I went to this place yesterday with a coupon (bought for $25, worth $50) and my husband. I had checked out the reviews beforehand and they were pretty bang on. I made the reservation for an early sitting and if the phone call was indicative of anything, it was how loud the restaurant was because I was yelling my name over the phone.
The space is open concept, which doesn't help with the noise and I imagine as it gets later in the evening, it also gets much louder.
A plus, bring your own wine. As for food, we skipped entrees and went for main meals as we wanted to save space for dessert. I ordered bison tartare, which had a pretty good portion of fried calamari and salad. I felt they could have provided more pieces of sliced toast with the tartare (there was just one), and although the tartare was pretty good, it wasn't amazing compared with other places I have been to.
My husband ordered the bison rib and it came with a vibrant side of veges and mash. The rib was alright, a bit bland as I felt like the sauce hadn't really penetrated the rib, but there was some on the side for dipping. Service was a bit slow, and though we were fine with that, the people on either sides of us seemed annoyed. To wrap it up, I really enjoyed my pistachio creme brulee and my husband enjoyed his cake. The total cost came up to around $90 and a bit, including tip, but luckily with our coupon, we only paid around $40 something. Overall, good food, but I don't think we will be back.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Don't go there...very loud place, the service sucks and the food is average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Saturday night, Ive been there with my girlfriend and friends, a party of 4.
We got there by 9pm, the table was not ready and finally we got the worst table, close to the kitchen.

After 5 minutes, a group of 25 appeared in the restaurant for the night. A group of low class people with baseball hats, packs of beers instead of bringing wines...

Not really the type of night that we've planned.

Our filet mignon were cold and not cooked as we asked.

The waiters were too busy serving the group of 25....so, we got a long night waiting for water, bread or even desert...

So, wont go back again...this place is overated !!!

• Visited February 2012