“Does not disapoint” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jun I

Jun I
156 laurier west, Montreal, Quebec h2t 2N7, Canada (Mile-End)
514-276-5864
Neighborhood: Mile-End
Santa Monica, California
“Does not disapoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and I love sushi, and coming from LA, there is no shortage of great sushi. We were hesitant to try a place in Montreal - but after a recommendation from a friend, we made a res. Everything we had was delicious and the sushi was beautifully presented and very fresh. It is also in a really cool part of town that we wouldn't have otherwise discovered. We ended up going back to the neighborhood the next day just to walk around.

• Visited March 2014

California
“Still Montreal's number 1 sushiya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Full photo & text review: http://tinyurl.com/mfa8up6
This is the closest you’ll get in Montreal to upscale sushiya, with a real Japanese Master at the helm. Prime Ingredients, excellent cooking skills as well as great service and a classy dining room make of Jun I one of Montreal very best dining destinations.

• Visited January 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Top-Notch Sushi in Montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Montreal does not have a shortage of great sushi restaurants and everyone has their favorites. Personally, I was really impressed with my dinner at Jun-I. I seldom splurge at higher-end Japanese restaurants but there really is a world of difference between smaller, cheaper restaurants versus the higher-end restaurants.

As someone who has had sushi and sashimi in Japan, my expectations of what good sushi should be are very high. If I am paying $20 CAD per person to stuff my mouth at an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant, I'm not going to complain that the food isn't amazing. But if I'm paying $70 CAD per person at an a-la-carte restaurant, it better be good. Jun-I definitely met my lofty expectations.

The sushi and sashimi at Jun-I were fresh, beautifully presented and very tasty. Service was quick and the drink menu was varied. For those who enjoy beer, you will find a nice selection of the most common Japanese, local and imported beers. Keep in mind, my review of the food comes from my one experience at Jun-I. Perhaps if I went to the restaurant on a more frequent basis, I would come across a couple of complaints. However, I suspect you would have to be the harshest of critics to be able to find any serious fault with the food.

My only gripe with Jun-I, and this is probably a good problem to have, is that the restaurant isn't very big and the atmosphere just felt too busy for a small restaurant. If you're looking for a quiet, romantic dinner with your significant other, you probably won't find it at Jun-I, especially on evenings and weekends. The restaurant is just too successful for there to be any empty seats in the house and this is Montreal, after all, where the patrons are typically a boisterous bunch full of life.

Ultimately, one person's experience and expectations of a higher-end restaurant will vary. But for the average person who is used to eating at lower-end Japanese restaurants, Jun-I will definitely feel like a treat.

• Visited January 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Jun I will awake your teste buds !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

this quaint little restaurant may not get a second glance when passing it by, but if you have the pleasure of eating here, you will soon discover it is a shangri-la of flavors and an explosion in your mouth with every bite. The creative ability of putting ingredients together is the chef's genius. Try everything on the menu, i dare you to say it wasn't good! go go go and you will discover a jewel called Jun I

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best japanese food ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My favourite food was the sashimi plate and the fish eggs sushis. I would come back there just for that, but overall the food was amazing, pure delight with a little sake bottle, perfect for good occasions, because it is expensive!

• Visited July 2012