“Overpriced and disapointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Casa de Mateo

Casa de Mateo
438 Rue St-Francois Xavier, Montreal, Quebec H2Y2T3, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))
(514) 844-7448
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Saint Paul
Description: Six times Consumers Choice award winner and their 2003 Gold award winner, and The Montreal Mirrors Best Mexican restaurant, CASA DE MATEO is nestled in the heart of the arts district in the Old Montreal, just steps away from the Notre-Dame basilica and Place d'Armes metro station. Come sample our authentic Mexican cuisine such as our Guacamole made table-side, enjoy one of our famous margaritas made of fresh squeezed juices, and listen to the music of the "Aguilas de Mexico" Mariachi band featuring Senor Macario Rodriguez. With a bar, large dining area and private reception room for parties of up to 100 people, we are sure to have something to accommodate your needs.
“Overpriced and disapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

The room was empty when we arrived...8.50 for a small very ordinary margarita, not right. Starter plate to share, 18 cad for 4, that was good and well priced. Then main courses, aro. 22 cad each. The four of them were very disappointing, seemed like each plate was pre cooked, frozen and too strongly re-heat. Not acceptable for this amount of money. 153 cad, final bill....Forget about this place, too expensive for the quality.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“STALE re-heated food….AVOID at any cost”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Sometimes I would rate a restaurant as average because the food of not very flavorful or tasty. Casa de Mateo would be the first restaurant that I have to give a horrible rating because of ROTTEN and un-flavorful food.

After reading positive reviews I was very eager to try out this restaurant so I went there with a friend on a Friday night. I ordered a Mojito but the waitress said they do not have any mint leaves so no mojitos loll then I went on to order a lime margarita and it tasted fine so I ordered a second one but somehow the second margarita was different than the first one with tons of ice, sugar and no alcohol.

I ordered tamales as a main course and GUESS WHAT they didn’t have tamales that evening so I ordered Pollo(chicken) Al Marcello and my friend ordered Burritos. The Chicken was ROTTEN and the smell was horrifying I wanted to puke rather than eating it so my friend gave me a piece of her burrito but sadly it was stale as well though not as rotten as the chicken.

When the bill came I told the waitress that I am ok to pay for the food but I do have to comment that the food was rotten so the owner or the manager came up to me and started to lecture me on if I don’t like the taste of the food that’s ok but I should not say the food was rotten lol So I had to tell her that if the food wasn't tasty I would say so but in this case it was ROTTEN and NOT EATABLE.
Please save yourself the trouble of going to this restaurant. You will WASTER your TIME and Money will be very very disappointed.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Dinner out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I came here twice here for dinner during our stay and the food was fabulous, they make the guacamole at your table so it is very fresh. You can also order large pitchers of drinks to share with large parties. One night they had three amigos going to each table singing nice touch. Great staff

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Alberta
“Don't be scared by first impressions.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

At first the menu seemed quite limited and the service was a little slow to start. We were not optimistic until the food and drinks arrived. The food was REALLY good, and I mean all of it, and they had the best mango margarita I've ever had. I lived in Texas for many years and missed having good Mexican food, but now I know where to find it. Only suggestion I have is that they increase slightly the size of their menu.

Visited June 2014
New York
“Que bueno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Superb Mexican fare with some of the best mole. From the salsa they bring with chips to the flavorful appetizers and main dishes, everything here was as good as it gets. The décor also was suitably evocative. Highly recommend it.

• Visited June 2014