“Worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Charlevoix
“Worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great place for a relaxed night out with amazing food and drinks. Doesn't come cheap but it's well worth it. Best Bloody Caesars you will ever find!

Visited October 2012

“Worth every penny!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

All the dishes that we tried were above expectation and then some more. The 3 of us tried:
Double down foie Gras: crispy outside, melt tender inside, perfectly seasoned
Rabbit ravioli: tender, melt in your mouth rabbit breast with carot au jus
Pan fry whole trout with caper and clam sauce: tasty sauce, crispy skin
Lobster spaghetti : tender lobster with creamy sauce, the pasta was slightly undercooked and hard but not that bad to send back to the kitchen
Panacotta almond pudding : creamy, almond-y and not too sweet
Joe beef beer: sweet and refreshing
Service was excellent, friendly and informative. Only one glitch: one server poured water into my beer glass. I didn't let that tiny incident ruined our night so I let him "off" the hook, even though he didn't give me a new glass or offer replacement. For restaurant with that caliber and $10/bottle beer, I thought he should at least offer to replace my ruined beer (half glass).
As per other reviewers, the restaurant was rather loud. The music was loud and since it's very narrow, everyone needs to speak louder to be heard. Its acceptable and lively for us though...
The decor was unique- they started to copy this type of casual rustic ambience in Toronto too.
The menu is actually not that expensive considering the quality and generous portion we had. I wish they have this kind of amazing restaurant in toronto!
If you only visit Montreal once in a while like us, definitely a must try. But if you regularly in the area, I probably would try different restaurants first before going back again.

Montreal, Canada
“What A Meal. What A Meal. What A Meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We got the window seats, just below a picture of David and Frederic and next to the picture of Charles McKiernan, the namesake of the restaurant. The menu is upon a blackboard and is quite extensive. The appetizer is definitely large enough to be shared by two, but who wants to, when it is so delicious and you want to try as much as you can in one visit. The seating is close but we definitely felt intimate, though I am sure that others in other seats may not. The meal was wonderful and imaginative, but definitely not for the vegetarians or "light eaters" among us. The pistachio eclairs that we ended dinner with were a little two sweet for me, personally. The service was excellent and attentive (okay if I have to be totally honest, maybe the water guy was a little too attentive.) I'm just looking for an excuse to go back for another meal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“the bes resteraunt in montreal,may be in canada!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

i eat quite often at joe beef, my favor and 1st choice each time i want to eat by myself at the bar, with friends or having guests out of town. the menu is all the time creative and original.the quality of products is top. if it's sea food, fish or meat. you will have the best dishes. fred morin is the brain, the best chef.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Good food but chaotic, noisy atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

For two people in their early 60's and two in their mid-70's, this place was way too noisy. Everybody shouts because they are trying to make themselves heard over the other patrons and the background music. My main dissatisfaction with this very popular restaurant is that there are no individual menus: the entire menu and extensive wine list is written on four large blackboards, so you have to stand there and decipher every menu item and wine listed prior to taking your seat. Consequently, there is no reading and re-reading a menu at your leisure, thus diminishing the pleasure of selection from an extensive choice and combination of ingredients. I ended up ordering a steak (after all, it is Joe Beef) because it was one of the easier items to remember. It was not the best steak I have ever had, rather chewy in fact, but the flavour was good. A friend had the lobster spaghetti which she enjoyed and which provided a generous amount of lobster meat, but I found the spaghetti rather dry. Given that we had to wait about five weeks to even obtain a reservation at this restaurant, I would never bother to eat there again. The atmosphere is indeed lively, but for me too noisy and frantic. When spending this much money, I would like to feel less rushed and more relaxed.

• 4 of 5 stars Food