“Freaking incredible!! Some of the richest and most innovative food I have ever had. Pretty expensive though :/” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Joe Beef

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Charlevoix
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I was thoroughly impressed by this restaurant. You definitely need to try their own brewed beer, it's lovely! My boyfriend and I had a beer each, one appetizer each and one main each... Total ended up being 155$ before tip. Ouch! But definitely a must-try at least once!

For our appetizers, I had their homemade "marrow wurst" with crackers. Basically a terrine made with bone marrow, chickeb liver and pork. Home made beautifully seasoned crackers to go with it... Some of the best terrine I have ever had. My boyfriend had the "pork fish sticks" - basically pulled pork fried in a batter to resemble fish sticks topped with a simple ketchup type sauce. Delicious!!

For our mains, my boyfriend had their "joe beef" steak, oh my god what a monster of a steak, 16oz!! You can opt for the smaller 8oz variety if you wish. Topped with home made horse radish and a block of blue cheese. My main was called "pojoinsky deer topped with fois gras" - oh my god, it was the richest most delightful dish I ever had! They basically braise the deer till it falls apart then they reconstruct it into something that resembles a steak, stuffed with fois gras and then topped with a nice piece of fois gras! Words cannot describe how good this dish was, not to mention that the presentation was beautiful. Sadly, I was too excited every time that my plate came around that I would forget entirely to take a picture of it :(

We didn't have a chance to try any desserts because we had a concert to get to... Not to mention that we were stuffed to the brim, we practically had to be rolled out!

Great and friendly staff, fabulous hunting-lodge-style decor and awesome ambiance. If you can fork the bill, it's a must-try!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
San Francisco, California
“A wonderful bistro experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Joe Beef is a well known foodie establishment and there are not many tables so snagging a reservation is hard.  The menu and wine list are on a massive blackboard in the small dining room.  We start with roasted quail stuffed with a little spinach and bacon, topped with roasted beets and a maple syrup/beet/ice-wine sauce.   I abhor anything a beet has touch, however I sopped my quail in the beet wine sauce until the plate was clean - awesome.  Next we had a half of a "double Reuben" - A slice of brioche with a piece of foie gras, slice of pastrami and gruyere cheese with a nice mustard sauce around it.  OMG - too bad I had to share it. We finished with a Joe Beef sized steak.  All washed down with a very nice bordeaux

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“What a great way to end our Montreal stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

It was our last night in Montreal, and what a memorable way to end our Montreal vacation. I was lucky to get a reservation and it happened to be on our last night and late(9:30pm). Fortunately, after having fives day of beautiful weather, it was rainy and cold that evening and I was able to move our reservations earlier. We were greeted and directed to our table which was in a quaint area upfront by the window of a closed entrance. It was romantic. We were greeted by Lindsay a very nice and professional server who helped us translate the menu. From the appetizers to dessert, everything was delicious. So good that I bought the restaurants cookbook they have for sell, $40.00 and well worth it. Lindsay did a great job in describing two wines that we ended up drinking both of them(unfortunately, we cannot find it in the states) and thankful for the transit system in Canada enjoyed every minute of it.......Overall, excellent food, service, and grateful for making it a memory.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Simply the Best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The food is BRILLIANT. The wines are carefully selected and the staff is hilarious but truly very professional. Located in the best neighborhood. Very cool, fun place to drop some serious coin, but worth every penny. These guys are so great at what they do they come off as wankers!!
It's Food Art.
It's divine. I love it, love it, love it.
Don't leave Montreal without eating there.
The music rocks...all over the place.
So unpretentious, it might seem pretentious.
Eat at the bar, talk to people.
You'll want to come back to Montreal just to eat there again.

Visited October 2012
Seekonk, Massachusetts
“Worth a trip to Montreal just to eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant had been recommended by friends, and we were fortunate to be able to seure a reservation for the 9:30 seating on a Saturday evening! The space itself is a little small and cramped, and it's slightly off the beaten track, but with great, lively atmosphere, if somewhat on the noisy side! But oh, the food as well as the service were amazing! The menu and wine list are on a blackboard, the servers extremely knowledgeable about both the ingredients in the dishes and wine pairings. This was one of those meals that I'll always remember, and would make the journey back to Montreal, a five hour drive from home, just for another chance to dine at Joe Beef! If you're a real foodie, don't miss this one and be sure to book well in advance.