“Haute cuisine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Laloux

Restaurant Laloux
250, Av Des Pins E, Montreal, Quebec H2W 1P3, Canada (Le Plateau Mont-Royal)
+1 514-287-9127
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Laloux is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 4,416 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
New york
“Haute cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Spending the week end in Montreal, we wanted to have a gourmet dinning experience with few friends and relative in town. Reviews on TA were great and price range seems reasonable, so we choosed Laloux. Were were 7 at the table, and all ended praising the restaurant. 6 different appetizers, 5 different main courses and 2 deserts, none of them bad. Room was nice, adequate lights, good space, not crowded, very elegant but not over the top. A mix of casual and chic. Right portion size, great presentation and yummy. Some of the favorites: cod fish appetizer, boudin blanc, beef tartare and cold green soup. My favorite main was the sweetbread, the aged prime rib and the pintade. Service was good and on time. Including a bottle of champagne and one red wine, about $100 pp including tip and taxes ( very high in Ca). 7 satisfied customers. Overall , one of the best restaurant I have been in my life. Recommended

Visited July 2014

Montreal, Canada
“The art of service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Laloux is one of my favourite restaurants in Montreal. The menu is incredibly inventive, using local ingredients that are in season. Everything is refined and delicious. Have a look at their often-rotating menu on their website for a glimpse of the delights they offer. I've always felt that you can judge a top-grade restaurant by seeing how much attention to detail they put into their simplest offering: the green salad. Laloux prepares theirs with artisanal lettuce and freshly made, warm caramelized shallot dressing. I look forward to it everytime. The wine list exceeds expectations, with private imports and biological wines. However, beyond this, it is the exceptional service that makes Laloux so special. The waiters are trained in the art of service. Kind and bearing no pretention, they counsel you on food and wine and pay attention to every little detail. In a city where service is seen as a minimum wage job, Laloux stands out.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbus, Ohio
“So glad we tried Laloux!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I dined at Laloux during our summer vacation in Montreal. We stayed on the Plateau, and the restaurant was just a quick $8 cab ride from the Park La Fontaine area. We arrived about 15 minutes before our reservation on a Friday evening and the hostess graciously seated us early. Laloux offers both prix fixe and ala carte menus and we opted to order from the latter. The menu is somewhat limited, but I think that’s a good thing. It gives the chef the ability to focus on producing a smaller number of dishes really well and that’s exactly what happened. My husband ordered a charcuterie platter ($11) full of house made pickled vegetables and cured meats and a delectable deviled quail egg. I opted for the pricier foie gras terrine ($21) that included a table side presentation of honey scooped from an actual slab of honeycomb. They were both delicious. The menu included only 6 options for main courses, but they covered all their bases with pasta, beef, fish, seafood, offal and poultry. I had the Arctic char ($26) ad my husband the Guinea fowl breast ($26). Both dishes were delicious, well balanced and interesting. I can’t get the memory of the beautifully seasoned crispy skin on my Arctic char out of my head. It was that delicious. After the main course dishes were cleared away, the server brought a selection of cheeses and offered a cheese course. We asked her to select a group of three cheeses for us and she brought a plate including the cheese, toasts, smoked pecans and an apricot puree. What a lovely compliment to dinner. We were stuffed and had to decline dessert. . The servers were all very approachable and made us feel very comfortable. Service was attentive but not claustrophobic. I chose Laloux over the arguably more prestigious Toqué based on a Trip Advisor review and I’m glad I did. I’ll definitely return next time I vacationing in Montreal.

• Visited June 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fine Dining At It's Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The ultimate in a French restaurant. The three course dinner was on par with the best meal we ever had. We came late and the kitchen was short on the Bison so the chef substituted half Bison and half 40-day aged prime filet which turned out to be a treat of two kinds of meat. Unique dishes that I could not do justice describing. See the pictures.

• Visited May 2014
Jarvenpaa, Finland
“Chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We chose this restaurant based on mostly very positive reviews and were not disappointed. The decor was very smart with mirroired walls just above your eyeline. Very good bilingual service. The food was very good but portions were smallish. A three course dinner for two with drinks and wine was $180, I felt it was a bit pricey but still very good. A little out of the way so a taxi is recommended. If your resourses can handle about $ 225 with tax and tip go for it.

• Visited June 2014