“Surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Laloux is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 4,562 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
san diego, CA
“Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

There are at least two kinds of French restaurants in North America. Those that serve the sort of dishes one learns about in French classes: steak aux poivres, soupe a l'oignon, escargots, etc... Boring and old fashioned. Sometimes such establishments try to re-interpret these tired dishes but really, there isn't much one can do about them. Not to say that they are no good. A well-executed steak aux poivres is always appreciated. But that's the sort of things one could easily cook for oneself at home, no need to pay good money in a restaurant for them. Then more rarely, there are places that use French techniques to do something new, something inventive, something that really cannot be done at home. Restaurant Laloux is such a place. The foundation is unmistakably French. But clearly, the chef has ideas, which are impeccably realized. I ordered the snow crab for appetizer and the salmon as main dish. The crab came out on a tangy and refreshing bed of cucumber salad. Just what it takes to announce that spring has arrived. The salmon was perfectly cooked and served on a small pile of fresh herb spatzle, which was quite an invention.

We ordered a bottle of Cote de Beaune. The wine service was perfect. The temperature was just right. Uncorking and pouring by the wine steward were faultless. And it's not just the wine service that was good. The entire meal was served with competence and just the right amount of friendliness. All this in spite of the place being completely packed.

We were on a business trip and ate dinner at many fancy restaurants. When I checked my receipts afterwards, this place was actually the most reasonable. Amazing.

Bravo Restaurant Laloux!

Montréal
“LALOUX, MY FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN MONTREAL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Excellent food, delicious wine, warm atmosphere, excellent and non snobbish service.
What can you ask more?
We had again a wonderful evening yesterday at Laloux, thanks to chef Jonathan and his crew especially to Valentin, patisseries chef, for its so special desserts.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal, Canada
“EXCELLENT SERVICE AND A DELICIOUS MEAL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The LALOUX RESTAURANT IS A SMALL RESTAURANT ON DES PINS IN MONTREAL, QUEBEC.
The staff were terrific. Friendly, helpfull and happy to serve. From the salade to the main course to the desert, the food was wonderful. Beautiful presentation, infused with flavor. Not to be missed. Just Delicious..Very high standard and affordable.

Montreal
“Excellent food and wine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I ate here with friends recently. It's a stylish neighborhood restaurant in the city which has a terrific and well-deserved reputation. The food is lovely. I had the steak tenderloin which came sitting on a lovely dark sauce made from ingredients that included Labrador tea, and accompanied by little Brussels sprouts and small potatoes. They try to have local ingredients, including the beef. The wine I selected was a Bordeaux, a bit tart to my taste, but I drank quite a bit of it so it must have been fine. This resto is lovely, like old-school in France, tall ceilings, many mirrors, attendant waiters. The only issue I had is that in our group of 13, the waiter brought just 2 drink menus. I asked for one and he said, "Madam, there are 2 on the table." I told him I wanted one anyway, which he brought. Same with the menus, a different waiter brought one food menu for 2 people. A woman at our table asked for more menus, which were brought. I don't know if they have a shortage of menus or what, but I found this very odd. For dessert, some of us shared Profiteroles with caramel, macadamia nuts and vanilla ice cream. Two bites was plenty and it was large.

Chester
“Great evening out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I visited this restaurant last week whilst visiting family in Montreal. I was very glad I did. I was in a party of four. The menu offered a good choice and we all had different meals but all were of a high standard of cooking and were presented attractively. The staff were attentive a without being overbearing and offered advice when requested. We ordered wine but the particular bottle was out of stock so we went with our waiter's recommendation and a) he didn't choose a particularly dear bottle and b) the choice he made was very enjoyable. I would have no hesitation in visiting this restaurant again or in recommending it to others.