“Great Food but trace of Snobism” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Club Chasse et Peche is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 4,561 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Notre-Dame
Houston, Texas
“Great Food but trace of Snobism”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

The food was fantastic. The atmosphere delightful. The service - not so much.

Located on a side street in the old quarter of Montreal. The interior is fairly dark and suitable for a romantic dinner or a quite dinner with friends.

We felt very welcome upon arrival. Quick attention upon entry and quickly led to our table.

As with many Quebec natives you should always attemp your greeting or pleasantries in french. Doing so, I believe, conveys respect and a willingness to integrate as much as possible. Many will recognize quickly if it is not your first language and will immediately switch to english. Such was the case with our waiter but the switch was accompanied by a slight sneer. And I swear he gave an ever-so-small upward turn of his nose.

After greetings were exchanged he seemed to be interested in helping us understand the details of the menu (it was in english) and the specials. He was moderately engaged and we appreciated his knowledge. We thought we were off on a decent foot, but the 45 minute wait between app and entree, the 15 minute wait for my empty wine glass to be refilled was just unacceptable.

Now, don't get me wrong. Both of my hands and arms work and I can pour a glass of wine. However, this is a very fine-dining restaurant. The wine I ordered was $150, they decanted it for me and even gave us noticably nicer glasses than several tables around us. At this price level one does not pour their own bottle. Attentiveness, without intrusiveness, should be the order of the day here (and included in the price).

The food? It was very much above average. I had the appetizer of "foie gras-duck sausage-apple pie." The duck sausage was the size of a cocktail weiner a jtouch too dry for my liking but the foie? Amazing.

My entree was a 6 ounce serving of Wagyu beef. As a general rule I don't order steak in a restaurant because it's too easy to buy a nice piece of meat and cook it yourself. This was an excepetion because it difficult to find Wagyu (or Kobe) beef in a retail butcher shop. The waiter informed me it was $15 an ounce and there was a 4 ounce minimum order. It was the best piece of steak I've ever had. For once I can actually say with a straight face, it was like butter. It was so good that I refused a piece of my wife's venison because I didn't want to disturb the flavor in my mouth and on my tounge from the beef.

At this point we'd been sitting for 2.5 hours. Not an unusaully long time. Heck, I've sat at dinner for 5 hours and had no reason to complain because the company was wonderful AND so was the service. At some point in our meal our waiter just checked out. There seemed to be plelnty of other waiters so I don't believe they were short handed.

We would have tried a dessert but became so disenchanted by the service and attitude that we left. Such a shame because the food was almost perfect.

Montreal, Canada
“Had my birthday dinner there and love the menu and the food was delectable. I recommend to go in the Winter time as it...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

Had my birthday dinner there and love the menu and the food was delectable. I recommend to go in the Winter time as it is a great setting for it!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The decor is warm, rich...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

The decor is warm, rich and a bit creepy. No trace of snobism, you will get great service from a knowing staff and the food itself is perfectly executed. Not cheap but definitely worth more than what Toqué offers for a higher price

Montreal, Canada
“One-of-a-kind ambiance set in the Old Port of Montreal. The cuisine features wild game and recipes reminiscent of...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

One-of-a-kind ambiance set in the Old Port of Montreal. The cuisine features wild game and recipes reminiscent of centuries-old cuisine.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“excellent food great atmosphere, friendly service great wines... what else do you want”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008