“unique food adventure. impecable service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant L'Autre Version

Restaurant L'Autre Version
295 Rue St. Paul Est, Montreal, Quebec H2Y1H1, Canada (Ville-Marie)
514-871-9135
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Transit: metro Champs-de-Mars
Montreal, Canada
“unique food adventure. impecable service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

After going there last night to celebrate my girlfriends' birthday I have to say that it was a amazing experience. Benoit - one of the owners of the place - is a walking culinary encyclopedia and clearly very passionate about the art of food - and very friendly!. The service was impeccable and the food was excellent as well. It isn't cheap but worth every penny. It's worth going for the culinary adventure with the full set of meals. Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious, for those that have broad palates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Saturday evening reservation for 8:30 for two, no problem at all.

Really enjoyed the ambience here. Service was prompt and you were welcome to linger over your meal and enjoy it, instead of being rushed.

The menu items for that particular night were (starting with an amuse bouch of a popcorn-style take on sweetbread) a mushroom medely of oyster and chantrelles with a sweetpea mash, and a surf and turf with large shrimp and sweetbread (sweetbread is great if you like its texture). We also had a filet mignon that was very nice and cooked to a medium rare perfection.

The place has a large wine list with a good bottle selection under $40.

Visited September 2012
Campinas, SP
“Food is great but pricey and not friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The food is great. The problem is the waiters serving you as if they smelled something bad when they approach you. Also the best restaurants in Montreal are "tourist friendly" but this is not. Me and my wife had a much better time at Quattro and Joe's beef.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Poor service, food toooooo salty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We ate here because it was highly rated on Tripadvisor. There were at least 5 waiters working the restaurant and none of them had their act together other than the bartender. We were shown to our table by the bartender who took our drink order. That went well except he did not give us any menus. Finally a waiter came over and asked if we were ready to order and we had to tell him that we had not yet seen a menu. He then brought a menu but did not stop to explain the specials. Then a different server came over and described the specials and then left again. The amuse bouche was a beef tartar. The bread came with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea-salt and tomato tapenade. Then yet another waiter came over to take our orders. I had the swordfish with calamari. My spouse had the special, the guinea fowl. My meal was cooked to perfection and I am sure it would have been great but I literally could not eat it because it was so salty. I had to drink a lot of water between each bite to be able to eat any of it. I gave up halfway through as I could eat no more salt. My spouse’s meal was equally salty and unfortunately rubbery. When we had stopped eating for some time, yet another waiter came over to ask how everything was. I told him I could not eat my meal due to the amount of salt. Neither of us had eaten half of our meals. The waiter said he would tell someone but no one came over to apologize or to try to make amends. We drank all of our water trying to eat our meal and no one came to replace it until we had stopped eating. The bill was in excess of $150 for the two of us with a basic tip and it was money poorly spent. If you see a good review of this restaurant on Tripadvisor, ignore it. Your health is not worth it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Take the Original”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The ambience was ok, but from the beginning the service was sketchy...too many servers trying to provide less than proper service for a restaurant of this repute and pay scale. We end up asking for a dinner menu after having received only a wine menu upon arrival.
Our cocktails were good.
For dinner we ordered salad and main course. The bocconcini salad had some flavorful elements, but little cheese. The mains we ordered were both over-salted beyond what anyone could appreciate.
When we left, there was no one at the door to bid us au'revoir...very non-user-friendly...sad...Not to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere