“A Jewel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi

Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi
690 Rene Levesque W., Montreal, Quebec H3B 1X8, Canada (Formerly Vargas Steakhouse) (Ville-Marie)
514-875-4545
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Description: We are located in the heart of downtown Montreal at the corner of University and Rene Levesque streets.we are steps away from the Queen Elizabeth hootel and a short distance from most downtown hotels.we offer delicious Angus steaks, fresh seafoood, and a terrific sushi bar.
Houston, Texas
“A Jewel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

After looking online for a bit longer than I wanted for just the right place to have my final dinner in Montreal after a successful conference, I decided to just take a walk and hopefully come upon something interesting. I wasn't disappointed when I spied Vargas from across the street and my curiosity was aroused. After perusing the menu at the front door, I decided it fit the bill for what I was after and upon entering with a warm welcome from the host, I knew I made the right choice.
I was quickly led to a table and without hesitation, a waiter was there to take my drink order. I was pleasantly suprised to find Glenmorangie 18 year on the menu, so that decision was easy. The hard part was deciding on my appetizer. I settled on the Big Eye Tataki Tuna; it was excellent! Slightly seared and served blue with a small salad, I found it paired well with the Scotch.
Soon afterward I received my filet mignon and it was cooked exactly to their specifications. I ordered mine with scallops. The scallops were slightly overcooked; thus the only reason I didn't give an excellent rating. The meal was paired with a red wine as suggested by my server.
The dinner was completed with a cappuccino; thus my appetite was quenched, my taste buds satisfied and my wallet not too emptied.
If you find yourself walking down Rene-Levesque Quest in Montreal, stop in at Vargas for a jewel of a dinner!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Andover, Massachusetts
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This restaurant was reommended to us by the hotel after finding out the restaurant we wanted to go to was not open. Although it is called a steakhouse it has everything including sushi which seems to be popular. There prices are moderate, the food is very good and they get an interesting crowd.

Visited August 2013
Montreux, Switzerland
“A pleasant eating experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

pleasant surrounding, good service, food well prepared and served correctly, excellent rib beef, tender, properly cooked.
Easy location, casual surroundings, good value - ideal to round of the day. Will definitely go back.

Visited June 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Went there last week with a friend for drinks and then, dinner. Never made it that far.

We got there around 6h00 pm and sat at the bar; my friend ordered his usual scotch and I, a whisky sour. What the bartender brought me back was awful and only tasted of lemon juice - and it was served in a highball glass.

When I told the bartender about the taste of the drink, and to please make another one, she got all kinds of huffy and snapped back that this was a REAL whiskey sour and that was the way it was supposed to taste; she then walked away. Of course, I did not push with her the fact that it was also served in the wrong glass.

From there, we paid for the drinks and decided to go and spend our dinner money elsewhere. And I made a point of mentionning this particular adventure on Twitter.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
toronto
“Less than expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Was led to believe in was a very good steakhouse. The menu was quite extensive, far more than expected with a fair amount of variety. There in may lay the reason for my disappointment. It's claim is as a Steakhouse and as such I'd rate it less than average. Maybe if the focused on less "non-steak" alternatives they could improve their Steak offerings. The prime rib was stringy, onion rings looked better than they tasted. the only reason I do give it an average rating is because it can easily handle large groups, great atmosphere and decor and good service. Wine list appeared less impressive than claimed and few options for whites. If you have a group of people requiring different types of food, not just Steak, this is a good alternative. For the beef eater there are many other options in Montreal.

vargaschef, Manager at Vargas Steakhouse & Sushi, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Hi Tripopinonsw;

i am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with us.

we do offer a little variety on our menu, but we are primarily a steakhouse. Now, being a steakhouse does not limit us to serving only beef, and thats why you will find a variety of seafood, some chicken dishes and of course our amazing sushi bar.

like you mentioned in your review we do accomodate large groups, and as such, we do need to have some variety on our menus.

as for the prime rib, we serve Angus AAA beef for our prime rib, and it is one of our best sellers next to filet mignon. i do apologize if you received a piece that was not to your liking, and we would have gladly replaced it for you.

i do hope the next time you are in Montreal you will give us another try.

david seaman