“Almost homemade!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria Trestevere

Trattoria Trestevere
1237 rue Crescent, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Ville-Marie)
514-866-3226
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Montreal
“Almost homemade!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The best pennine all'arrabbiata, o gnocchi con salsa all'arrabbiata in town!

The fried calamari together with fried zucchini and other vegetables (calamari fritti con zucchine fritte e altri legumi) are the best in town as well!

With the pasta, do not forget to ask for "vitamins" (crushed chilli peppers marinated in oil).

Veal is also well prepared so it is the tender grilled liver (veal).

In the basement, la Trattoria is well decorated like any trattoria in Italy.

La carte des vins offers a wide variety of good to excellent wines.

Lunch menus affordable; more expensive for dinner at night.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Montreal
“Good food & friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I go to this restaurant when I have friends visiting Montreal since it's right downtown on Crescent Street which is fun. The atmosphere is great & the food very nice, for a good price. I've never been disappointed here.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bathurst, Canada
“Wonderful way to celebrate Valentine's Day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

It has been years since I last visited this restaurant and wondered whether time would be kind to this downtown Montreal icon. Happily, I was not disappointed. The inside of the restaurant has not changed much and, more importantly, neither has the food nor the attentiveness of the staff.

We were two friends dining before our Bon Jovi concert, later that evening. And it was Valentine's Day as well. We were quickly shown to our table by the maitre d. The waiters were, as I remembered, dressed in white shirts and black vests and dress pants. They spoke in Italian to each other, which adds to the ambiance of the restaurant. Later on, other repeat clients came in and you could tell that the staff goes out of their way to welcome you and to make you feel special.

We started off with a cocktail. Margarita for myself and my friend had a Bloody Caesar. Both were very good. We were happy to see that prices have stayed very reasonable, with most main dishes in the $20-$30 range. Pasta is in the $15-$20 range. I remembered from my last visit that the fried zucchini was excellent, so we decided to have that as our shared appetizer. A very generous portion of melt in your mouth perfection - it was delicious and a perfect way to begin our meal.

A complimentary plate of very good bruschetta was offered, along with a basket of rolls.

For main dishes, I was craving veal and asked our waiter what he'd suggest. His recommendation was the Veal Parmigiana and I decided to go with that, with pasta as my side dish. My friend chose the Chicken Cacciatore, with vegetables as the side dish. For wine, we decided on a half litre of the house white, which was very good. Both main courses were perfect, with generous portions. My pasta side dish was penne with a tasty tomato based sauce. It was al dente and with an extra sprinkle of parmesan by our waiter, was a perfect compliment to the veal. The mixed vegetables that accompanied my friend's chicken were also tasty and very enjoyable. Our waiter came by often, to see if we were happy and to see if we needed anything. He was attentive but not overbearing.

We were pretty full by dessert time, but the tiramisu that our neighbours were enjoying was too tempting, so we decided on that with a tea for me and coffee for my friend. A perfect way to end the meal - it was served in a sundae cup and reminded me of a trifle. I've had tiramisu at other places on a plate and enjoyed it this way much better.

We still had time to kill, so decided on another cocktail. Once again, very enjoyable and the price was much cheaper than if we had decided to go to a Crescent St. bar for a drink.

Our total bill, including 2 cocktails each, wine and all taxes came to $138. If you were to take off $60 for the drinks/wine, our bill would have been approximately $78 for two people. Considering we had an entree, main course, dessert and tea/coffee and we were on Crescent St. in downtown Montreal, that is an unbelievable value.

So, if you are in Montreal and craving Italian, do not hesitate to head on over to the Trattoria Trestevere. Hopefully, they will still be there for many years to come!

One last thing - we also were given a complimentary heart shaped Valentine's Day chocolate with our bill. A nice touch!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Not Consistant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I have been going for decades and it's usually very good, although I have had some bad experiences at times. When they get it right, its great but they are not always ! Never go off hours or days, stick to weekends and lunch hours.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Laval, Canada
“Good food and not too pricy.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our first visit for my husband and I-we were a large group. Food and service was good. Very quiet for a Saturday evening. We have dined at many different restaurants in Montreal-this restaurant was good but can't say that I would rush to go back.