“What a waste” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Toque!

Restaurant Toque!
900, Place Jean-Paul-Riopelle (Saint-Antoine et de Bleury), Montreal, Quebec H2Z 2B2, Canada (Quartier International)
(514) 499-2084
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Toque! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 4,678 Restaurants in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Quartier International
Cross street: Saint-Antoine
Description: En creant Toque! nous tenions a mettre en valeur les produits du terroir quebecois et le travail de ceux qui nous ravitaillent. Nous tenons plus que jamais a souligner la contribution de ces fournisseurs qui meritent le titre glorieux d'artisans. Nous leur devons le foie gras de canard ou la salicorne; l'agneau ou les petits legumes, les fruits de mer ou les fines herbes. Ces infatigables artisans inspirent la cuisine de Toque! a laquelle ils apportent des saveurs, des textures et des aromes naturels d'une irreprochable fraicheur. ---16 years ago Toque! opened featuring local produce: a showcase for Quebec's terroir and its suppliers. The ongoing contributions of these artisans is no less important today. We have them to thank for foie gras de canard or salicornia; lamb of heirloom vegetables; seafood or fine herbs. These tireless farmers, foragers and fishermen inspire Toque!'s cuisine, on which they bestow tastes, textures and natural aromas and unparalleled freshness.
Edmonton, Canada
“What a waste”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was so happy to get a last minute table. We ordered the mystery tasting menu with a short flight of wine (3 glasses). A tasting menu should be a chance for the chef to she what they are made of, not a vehicle to clean out the pantry. This was the latter. We were told that the chef had access to a 700 lb bluefin tuna line caught off the Gaspe... I think we are 100 lbs of it that night. Four of seven courses were sea food. First course was urchin based. It was a good, not a great start...little did we know it was downhill from there. Second course was three kinds of tuna presented "messy style" in my view. Things everywhere on the plate, no order, no symmetry, no art. Okay fine the tuna was okay. Next the confit of trout...superb tasting, but again...presented in a mess of bits and pieces that detracted from the great food.

Who is designing these plates? Monkeys? Five year olds? It was a terrible visual spectacle.

Next course...TUNA...seared, boring tuna with stuff everywhere. Ate about 1/4 of it, it was stringy, seasonless seared tuna part deux. It came with tiny bits of very tasty smoked sturgeon.

Next course, pigeon. Bland, limp skinned pigeon....with more unnecessary stuff around it. Ate about half of it.

Next came cheese, all from one farm, sheep cheeses soft, semi soft and hard. It came surrounded with tomato things...I can't otherwise describe this plate...tomato sorbet which was inedibly bad, tomato gelee that overpowered any of the cheeses no matter how little you took,tomato powder...who knows. None of it worked. We hardly ate any of it.

Desert course...OLIVES?!? Candied olives, olive oil on a quarter of a poached pear. Long pepper sorbet? A savory desert, it just didn't work.

Two of the three wines worked okay, the one red of the night, I forget the varietal and the country, made the pigeon worse not better. Super tannic, no depth. Drank about half.

I also despise chefs who create a tasting menu which consists in any way of off the menu items. Chef: if I wanted to order off the menu I would have. This tells me one thing, the menu is lazy or uninspired.

The servers did a good job of explaining the dishes but never once in seven courses asked us what we thought when we finished, even with half finished dishes taken away.

The service was ill timed with huge delays to no delay. No pacing whatsoever. I can't recall a worse tasting menu and I've had many. I usually say something in such extreme cases, but I was angry, tired and hungry at $325 before tip and only one of us drinking. The one red I had was $34 for a small pour. Complete rip off.

This place, as the hotel staff suggested when I returned, is past it's best before date. Would never go back. I have always considered Toque a Canadian institution, but , alas, no more.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Toque - not worth it, better restaurants”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Based on previous reviews and awards we were expecting more than what Toque actually offers. The service was inattentive and unfriendly. We had the tasting menu with prestige wine pairing- overall it was underwhelming. The amuse bouche was 2 slices of Macintosh apples with oil - needless to say it lacked creativity and flavour. The courses that followed were not any better. They did not have focus, ingenuity, nor demonstrate exceptional skill that one would expect for a highly acclaimed restaurant. The presentation of each course was a disaster - the plates were overcomplicated oppose to the clean presentation of the photos online. Additionally there is limited variety each course had similar or the same elements throughout.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed the price-fixed meal with wine pairings. The wine steward gave us a history and region of origin for each wine. Some creative outstanding dishes. Great dining experience.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Fine dining, but is it worth the price tag?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

They obviously spent a lot on the fit-out at Toque, so it feels like a special night out. The service is excellent, very attentive and polite. We had the 7 course tasting menu and all the plates were beautifully presented. It was also clear that a large amount of work and technique went into each dish. For us there was no real wow moment and true innovation wasn't really there. A dessert of white chocolate mousse, with strawberries and little pieces of meringue and caramel was very nice but very like an Eton mess. Still recommended if you want a special night out and money isn't an object.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“The best culinary experience in Montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

As the prices are reasonable, I would suggest the chef's full tasting menu. Ooo la la! The decor is not impressive, but the food is. We ate at every top rated restaurant in Montreal, and this was by far the best culinary experience. The foie gras is a must. We still get dreamy eyed about it! The rose water cocktail was poetic --- especially good for us romantic ladies.

Visited August 2012