“An Indian family restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pushap Sweets

Pushap Sweets
5195 Rue Pare, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace)
(514) 737-4527
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace
Neighborhood: Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace
Dwight, Canada
“An Indian family restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I have been enjoying Pushap for many, many years. I can't remember the first time I visited but it must be over 20 years ago. At first I discovered the West Island location. Once I discovered the location on Paré I was hooked.
For me Pushap is authentic India. Not the India of the grand hotels such as the Oberoi in New Delhi but the family restaurants that dot the countryside.
Before the expansion Pushap had only 4 or 5 tables. I usually ate there alone so the server would seat me at a table with an available place. I'd get to enjoy authentic Indian cuisine and dine with strangers. It was an total experience. Since the expansion there is enough seating so the inpromptu dining companions are a thing of the past but the food remains delicious and completely vegetarian.
I usually opt for the thali - a stainless steel serving dish with little compartments for each dish. There is rice and pickled cabbage along with either Chana Masala (chick peas in a piquant sauce) or Dahl (red lentils) along with the two vegetables of the day. The thali is usually enough to satisfy my hunger. If I want a little more then I start with samosas and pakoras, perhaps a mango lassi, and end with chai (spiced Indian tea) and sweets.
There is always a lineup for take out. I rarely visit without picking up a dozen samosas, some pakoras, or a pound of sweets.
On my recent 3 day visit to Montreal I ate there twice and bought 6 dozen samosas for family and friends. In my book that's the highest praise.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Quality, tasty Indian vegetarian....great prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Small restaurant, close to Decarie expressway and metro (subway) on Pare. Extremely reasonable prices, friendly staff and authentic tastes. One of the best values is the thali plate at under six dollars. The Dal/lentil soup is thick and tasy. we also enjoyed the chana samosa. The staff do not try to oversell too many dishes, so overall a very satisfying reasonably priced experience. if you are looking for linen tablecloths and showy restaurant where everything tastes the same, go somewhere else!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

A true find - vegetarian Indian in an obscure location with marvelous spicy appetizer and great desserts. Not your typical place and very very well priced

Montreal, Canada
“Excellent flavorful well priced food, but shabby, unclean environment. (Lack of cleanliness~A turn off)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We went there on a recommendation. True enough, the food was amazing and very well priced. BUT, the place is unkempt: shoddy-- rickety furniture and the general environment NOT clean. (A Total Turn-off) Take some pride in your business people!!! It's a popular place-- the food is great; put some effort on the cleanliness of the place and you've got a gem!

Visited December 2011
Montreal
“Satisfying food that is easy on your wallet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Pros: I've been going to Pushap for quite a few years. The thali always left me satisfied with a warm tummy! There is something about their spices, which is just the right amount, not too strong, not too bland. Their desserts are so fresh and soft, I've yet to find better Indian sweets in Montreal.

Cons: In terms of the food, of the 20 plus times I've been there, there was only once the food was too salty. Bad day for the chef maybe. And sometimes, the curry can get a bit oily.

As for their service, it is not as good as it used to be when the old man waiter was there. He was cheeky but amusing. At least he smiled a lot after teasing us with the mean face. Also, the guys always remembered what we ordered when we lined up to pay at the cashier. But now, the all women team has no smile on the face, and don't remember what you ordered. It used to be a warm family restaurant. Now, it's still a family restaurant, but the heart and the warmth is no longer felt there because of the indifference displayed by the new generation of staffs.

• Visited July 2011