“Very Good Place in Old Montreal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Modavie

Modavie
1 St Paul W, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1Y6, Canada (Ville-Marie)
+1 514-287-9582
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Modavie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 4,554 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Italian, Mediterranean, Bistro
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Cross street: St. Laurent
Transit: Place D'armes Metro
Description: Seven nights a week, local bands take the stage at Montreal's hottest Jazz bar and bistro. Modavie's spirited setting encompasses two intimate floors and sets the scene for a night of great tunes, top dining and generous pastis toasting. The bistro's far-reaching wine menu hits just the right notes and helps round off succulent lamb, fish, beef and inspired pasta dishes.
San Antonio, TX
“Very Good Place in Old Montreal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Based on reviews we tried this place our first night in Old Montreal. I had the short ribs. The wife had trout almondine. Both were very good. Friendly service, nice atmosphere. Good choice for the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“ALWAYS Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I have celebrated every special occasion at Modavie - anniversaries, birthdays, the day we signed for our first home... I have even organized business functions here. Recently we celebrated our 15th anniversary and of course we were not disappointed. A beautiful restaurant that can be both casual and high-end, but romantic all the way. The food is incredible. I love the endive salad, wine selection and the house speciality rack of lamb is amazingly good. As a local, I tell everyone visiting Montreal that they have to try the food at Modavie. Lunch or dinner, you get treated with care - we never announced that it was our anniversary and yet Lorenzo brought us over some port after our meal. A special touch that made our night that much more special. Go there - we will!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I visited Modavie over the long weekend. Overall,
We were disappointed by our experience.

Food:
The fried calamari we had as a starter was overcooked. The braised lamb was just average.

Service:
Horrible!! After being sat down, we waited another hour before we would get our meals. Unlike other tables around us, our table had none in spite of asking for it. While other tables where getting their glasses of water refilled, the server ignored our table.
Our server Miriam I think tried to do her best but the service was horrible due to possible poor management. It was the long weekend and the restaurant was fully booked and yet management failed to bring more servers. When we got into the restaurant, the main floor was packed and hungry. They've been waiting for their meals for a while as well apparently.

Would I recommend this restaurant?? Big fat "Non"!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, even better service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

In town for a conference and got reco from local. Braised short rib was spot-on with wonderful flavor. Server was excellent, knowledgable, and very playful with our group of four. Great live music sets perfect background.

Visited May 2013
Abingdon, Maryland, United States
“Best restaurant experience I have had in a long, long time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The ambiance, the food, the wine, the service - all impeccable! Lorenzo has this Montreal jewel running like a well oiled machine. He really made my friends and I feel welcome almost as if we were guests in his home. First time having braised lamb - melt in your mouth good! Definitely a must when you're visiting Montreal. Can't wait to go again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere