“Servicable dim sum in Montreal Chinatown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kam Fung Maison

Kam Fung Maison
1111 Rue Saint-Urbain, Montreal, Quebec H2Z 1Y6, Canada (Chinatown)
(514) 878-2888
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Twin Cities, Minnesota
“Servicable dim sum in Montreal Chinatown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Because it is the most highly rated dim sum in Montreal on several web sites, we ate at Kam Fung Maison on a Sunday morning. The restaurant became gradually more crowded so that by the time we left there were people waiting for tables. Dim sum carts come around quickly and efficiently. Service is friendly. The dim sum items are rather larger than those we generally prefer and we found them just fine but not exceptional. If you have a hankering for dim sum you can get your fix here. If you are looking for something extra special then Montreal may not be the place to get it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Dim-Sun Chinois”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

C'est correct, mais pas très bon comme à New York, comes from Guangdong Province in Southern China. Cantonese cuisine is the best known outside China; most "Chinese restaurants" in Western countries serve authentic Cantonese cuisine and dishes based on it.

Visited July 2012
Kitchener, Canada
“Quick and friendly service, good food, fair price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I had a lovely dim sum for starters. Most of the dim sum I have tasted is in Torontos china town and this was very nice. Main course was deep fried tentacles. Very nice. Would have preferred them without the batter, but still good. Our server was friendly and quick.

Not a lot of bells and whistles to the restaurant and if you are a Mandarin or King Buffet person, you may be surprised.

A lot of chines people eat here clearly, so it is geared to their taste, not Canadian Chinese

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, Connecticut
“Over-rated by most”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Arrived for a weekday lunch at 12:30pm and sure enough the place was packed and we to wait 15 minutes for a table for two people. As soon as we were seated the (cheap plastic) carts began to trundle by. The food selection was decent but the quality was only so-so. For example, the chicken feet were enormous and had a good flavor, but the meat wasn't tender. Other foods had their own flaws related to texture or tenderness. The egg tarts were pleasing, I can say that. If we lived in Montreal we'd probably go back, but it's not worth raving about as so many reviewers do.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
South Burlington, Vermont
“I'll never go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Had previously enjoyed the dim sum but when I went back for dinner it was a different experience. Was served the soup in a side room and waited over 30 minutes without anyone returning to take dinner order. I put down enough money for two soups and attempted to leave but was barked at that I had neglected to leave a tip. Aside from being on the wrong end of poor service and incredibly bad public relations, I presumed that the wait staff must be on the wrong end of oppressive employment. Normally, I would not think of stiffing a wait staff, but I received essentially no service and the food was not so outstanding that I can overlook the last experience.
I left a tip and will never go back.

• Visited October 2011