“Wonderful Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Mas des Oliviers

Le Mas des Oliviers
1216 Rue Bishop, Montreal, Quebec H3G 2E3, Canada (Ville-Marie)
(514) 861-6733
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
“Wonderful Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Nice location. I must admit walking through the tiny door was almost a challenge but I was pleased to have made it inside without a huge bump on my head. The first room was cellar like. Very french and extremely comfy, We were seated in the back room. It was a Monday late lunch and I was pleased to find such a great restaurant open. The service was impeccable and the food amazing. I started with a house salad, which brought me back to my childhood. The dressing was great! It was so good I asked for the recipe and surprisingly enough it was written down for me. The rest of the meal was delicious as well, fish steak, we all shared and savored every bite! I will definitely visit again!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
Calgary
“High prices for middling food and tired decor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

I had not been to Le Mas des Oliviers for over ten years. My last visit was for a closing dinner related to a business deal, which was memorable for the waiters all having stopped forward en masse to unveil the food with a flourish.

The staff this time were uniformly older, polite and male. The room also seemed to be unchanged since my last visit: a basement, tavern ambiance with brick walls and archways.

The soup I had to start was a very interesting fish pescadou, which involved applying cheese and sauce to dried baguette slices, which one then submerged in the soup. The wine list escalated very quickly in price.

Main dishes were $40 and up, which seemed a bit steep for the quality. My tuna medallions were nicely seared but came with a sauce I found gluey and salty. The wasabi mashed potatoes were disappointing.

Not a bad meal, but I expected better in light of the prices, especially in Montreal, where food is taken seriously.

Penticton, Canada
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Old school formality, professional and knowledgable service and outstanding food. The seared tuna may have been the best I have ever had. Outstanding value for money. We are going back tomorrow night, and we have NEVER done the same place two nights in a row in Montreal.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Vancouver, Canada
“Montreal French cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Very very good - excellent French cuisine. Gracious hospitality, warm cellar-like atmosphere. Excellent value for the mid-range prices

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“FAVOURITE French Restaurant in Montreal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Starting with great Valet service and to warm welcome by the owner ,the seating process,, the drink service and details of the menus by the server...these were all performed with class.this was true entertainment.We ordered from the large Menu
Pacific sea Bass, lamb, and rib steak and every single bite was delicious and better than expected.
We saw many friends from our Golf course eating that night and we are famous for complaint about food and service.this place certainly passes all tests and is a winner for a generation. We cannot wait to go back for more Napoleans served as desert to all.