“Great bistro” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Express

L'Express
3927 rue St-Denis (At rue Roy), Montreal, Quebec H2W 2M4, Canada (Le Plateau Mont-Royal)
514-845-5333
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Express is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 4,419 Restaurants in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Roy & Duluth
Transit: Metro Sherbrooke, 3 streets north or metro Mont-Royal, 3 streets south; a five minutes walk in both directions.
Ottawa, Canada
“Great bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This a a happening spot. Apparently busy every night of the week. We went on a Monday night, thinking it would be quiet. Earliest reservation at the table was 9:45 pm. No problem, we enjoyed a 7:30 reservation at the gorgeous stainless steel bar. Bright and busy, white table clothes and full of every generation. We enjoyed French beer and champagne to start as well as the baby dills they give you n/c as you wait for your meal. My husband and I both had a delicious Steak frites with homemade mayonnaise. The homemade chocolate truffles for dessert were a perfect sweet to finish off the meal.
Service was efficient and friendly without a lot of conversation, which was perfect.

New York, NY
“Classic French Bistro in Mont Royal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a cute and charming french bistro in the trendy plateau mont royal. The restaurant has an extensive wine list, classic french dishes such as steak frites and duck confit, and a pleasant vibe and atmosphere common among good french brasseries. Don't fill up on the bread and homemade peppered cornichons!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Good service & average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I took my parents to this restaurant so that they could have a French dining experience. When we walked in our coats were hung by staff and we were escorted to our table though this authentically decorated resto. We were so excited! The menus were a bit hard to understand as their specials were little cut-out squares that covered some of the menu writings. But the menu is one page so we were happy to assume a fresh dinner. We all ordered soup, where neither presentation nor taste was anything special. For the entrée my father had the duck served on a bed of salad. The salad looked haphazard and the duck not so tender. There was no flavor either. My steak was also not flavorful and my fries were very greasy. My husband had the steak tartare which looked like mangled dog food. Other tartars that we've ordered in the past are nicely cut squares of steak or whatever and this looked like a pile of ground dog food that tasted spicy. Not appetizing looking or tasting. My mother said that her salmon was flavorless as well. If all four of us felt that our dinners as well as appetizers were lacking flavor than L'Express has a quality problem.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Classic French Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Although the service can feel a bit stuffy (they've made great strides, I'm told), that doesn't mean it isn't quality. We were well attended to, and the staff were very polite and helpful. The interior feels like a classic French bistro, and the food matches. I had the veal liver, which is something I've never tried before. On the waiter's recommendation I had them cooked rare and the result was delicious. The food is very rich, so while the portions aren't huge, I felt satisfied. Save room for the lemon tarts; they're everything you want a lemon tart to be.

• Visited November 2013
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Just Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Have not been back to L'Express for over 5 years and having it been one or our favorite places in the past was very pleased to find nothing had changed! Excellent food combined with over the top service made for a most enjoyable evening! Being that I do not read French the waiter, who had been there over 25 years, was most helpful in the translation. Just a perfect spot to dine with a wonderful French feel! A gem for Montreal and so glad to see the tradition has continued!