“Date Night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ganges

Ganges
6079 Sherbrooke Ouest, Montreal, Quebec H4A 1Y2, Canada (Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace)
514-488-8850
Improve this listing
Ranked #868 of 4,562 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery
Neighborhood: Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace
“Date Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

When we arrived we were greeted and shown to our table. We were given water and crackers to munch on while looking at the menu.
We started with the onion Bhaji.
It was not that hot but was very tasty.
We went with chicken as my wife did not want lamb, which I like.
We had the chicken Rejala, vegetable dish was Dansak and Palao rice.
The chicken was to be a sweet and sour sauce, but I feel it missed on all counts. I like the spice but there was an after taste which I did not enjoy. The Densak vegetables had a better flavor. I was going to order the Dansak chicken but the waiter said that we were better off with the Rejala.
We ended our meal with Gulab Jamun. I had a bite and gave the rest to my wife, It was very good, but I find it too heavy and too sweet.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Montreal, Canada
“A little updating would complement a truly wonderful menu.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Ganges serves very good quality Indian curries and the like without much pomp and circumstance. I have been there numerous times and while my tastes run to the spicier dishes, I've tasted almost everything, they are always adding new dishes and I have never had a bad meal. True it can be a bit slow, but have a British beer on tap while you wait. The physical space could use a few reno's but the price is reasonable and you can't go wrong if you like that cuisine.

Montreal, Canada
“good food but filthy decor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

we really liked the food. tasty and well-prepared, except for the poppadum which were stale. however, the decor is appalling. i felt so uncomfortable i left straight after i ate. huge red drapes over the door to eh kitchen were heavy with dust. it is obvious that a major water leak in the ceiling had been very badly patched years ago. the front door is black with grim where people pushed to get in. the lights were dim and seemed to hide more cleaning sins. it is a sad place because i wonder if the dining room is this dirty, what is the condition of the kitchen??? i don't think i will be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal
“Consistently good curry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love curry and eat it regularly around the world as I travel. Montreal curry restaurants are in general, average at best, and this is definitely one of the best in Montreal. When you ask for spicy it comes spicy and yet the flavors are never lost.

The samosas are always really good, and I highly recommend any of their giant shrimp dishes. The nan is good and the paratha well above average. Their chicken madras is also very good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Really good but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Food was delicious, but it was WAY too expensive. I know Indian food tends to cost more, but usually when you order a meat dish (e.g., butter chicken) it comes with naan or rice. Not here! You're paying extra for naan and/or rice. And of course you have to get the naan...there's so much yummy sauce that you need something to scoop it up with! I would have given 4 stars if naan came with the meat dish.

• Visited January 2013