“Little cozy, Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fonduementale - CLOSED

Fonduementale
4325 St-Denis, Montreal, Quebec H2J 2K9, Canada (Le Plateau Mont-Royal)
514-499-1446
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Fondue
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Little cozy, Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Amazing food, even though the service is a bit slower, as it is ment to relax and enjoy your fondue.

Visited August 2013

Vancouver, Canada
“great location, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I had a lovely dinner here on a recent trip to Montreal. Food was fresh and plentiful. Service a bit slow but not unbearable. very cute old Montreal house is the location so its different but very Montreal.

Visited August 2013
boston
“Delicious, but no air conditioning!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have dined at Fonduementale whenever I visit Montreal. It is way off the typical tourist areas - the food delightful in this quaint first floor (and garden) location. My first visit in 1992 - when I fell in love with the place - to this past weekend have all shared excellent service, good wine, great, cozy ambiance. The garden is truly divine in the summer as they don't have air con... As we didn't have reservations we ate inside. The had everything open to catch the breeze, but my husband was miserably hot. Ruined his visit... we will have garden reservations when we go again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingston
“Consistent over 20+ years - and kid-friendly to boot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I will preface this by saying I'm not objective about Fonduementale. My mom brought me here when I was a starving student in my first semester at McGill, and it was always the "special place" my friends and I (or family) went when there was a special occasion. I've been back every time I've been to Montreal to visit since, except once when my son was too little.

This review is about our most recent trip in June, 2013.

The good? The food has always been great. It was again. We always (yes, embarrassing) order "La Romantique", which is cheese fondue, meat/seafood fondue, and then chocolate fondue. It comes with a small salad and a cheesy baked potato, both have which have evolved over 20 years, but have generally been good and this was no exception (twice-baked this time). I don't think the portion sizes have changed much, if at all, since I started going here in 1990 - they're generous, but not obscene. It was all delicious, again.

What was new for us this time was bringing our son. He's well accustomed to restaurants, and we come prepared with distractions, but I was a bit nervous, not having remembered seeing any kids at the restaurant before. We didn't need to be nervous. First, they brought crayons for our son to draw on the paper that covers the tables. Next, they were great about my husband and I just ordering La Romantique for 2, and then feeding our son from it (no extra charge). Then, they brought him some raw carrots without us asking. The servers chatted him up (he learned French this year, and was keen to practice) and were very lovely with him. We didn't pick up any attitude about having our son with us - we went early, granted (5:30) but they were all great with him.

We ate on the patio - I recall Fonduementale being quite hot in the summer, and I think this was the case again, but the patio is lovely.

All in all, I guess the decor might be getting run down, but I don't worry about that much. I didn't go there for the decor - but for the food and the service, which remains great. I was delighted at its kid-friendliness. We will be back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great fondue restaurant in the heart of the Plateau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent a beautiful evening in the back terrace of Fonduementale. The cheese fondue was out of this world. And the chocolate/maple syrup dessert fondue was one of the best things we have ever eaten. The service was very courteous and we would definitely return whenever we are in the mood for fondue.

Visited June 2013