“Fair” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Au-Tarot

Restaurant Au-Tarot
500 Rue Marie-Anne E, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Le Plateau-Mont-Royal)
(514) 849-6860
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #653 of 4,409 restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Neighborhood: Le Plateau-Mont-Royal
“Fair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

After reading many reviews, I was a bit skeptical about the place. I was expecting nothing and it was worth it. Forget about fancy ambiance; this place is more a loudy place, good food without too much complication. I took a couscous chicken mergueze and it was very good. Someone was commenting about bloody sausage; they were juicy good; not bloody. Service was very good too if you keep in mind that this place is a little home styled :)

I will go there again for sure; its not the entry level kind of price for couscous but i do believe that it worth it here again :) ah and for those that might know le coin berbere restaurant, it's praticly in the same style, concept and feeling.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

65% Recommend
Montreal, Quebec
“Quality on Slow Decline :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I'm a Montrealer and have been eating at this resto x1 - x2 annually for the passed 5 years.

my wife and I have noticed a very slow but noticeable decline in the overall quality of the food and the service (aside from the ever friendly and hospitable owner who's usually working the room and waiting tables as well).

our recent visit a week ago left us thinking couscous meal for $39 per order is crazy!!! visit Tunisia, and you buy lamb couscous with all side dishes for 2$ Cdn. So 39$ is simply nuts... yes, the portions can feed a family of 3 which is likely the reason for this pricing.

started off with the house salad Au Tarot which is iceberg, feta to the max, oregano, other herbs, artichoke heart, some palm hearts, pitted green olives, garden variety tomatoes, english cuccumber slices and way too much salty italian-ish dressing soaking the salad. our son seemed to like it, but was drinking water like a fish the rest of the evening. LOL

we also ordered the Royal couscous which is a little of everything chicken, sausages/mergez, veggies, etc. along with a Vegetarian couscous (think that was priced at 32$ or 34$)... big salad bowl of soup/broth ... happy to see that as I love their broth.

as other have mentioned, the veggies were mostly undercooked enough to be tougher to chew.

the couscous itself, a delight as usual!!!

service was poor if not terrible (unless it was the owner himself) and for an evening when there weren't many tables (4 other tables or 30% capacity), it took 2-3 requests to get more water, spoons, the next course to come after an 1 hour wait between appetizers and main...

it might be another year before i visit this place again...

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Quebec
“I live in Montreal and I'm a regular - excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I use Au Tarot regularly for both work suppers and for friend suppers and frankly, it's a great balance of authentic (the cook is Algerian btw, not Moroccan), friendly, decent atmosphere, and good value. Though it's not necessarily as good as eating in say Algiers or Casablanca, it's one of my favourite places in Montreal and we had a full christmas office supper here one year with no negative comments.

It's a bring-your-own-wine restaurant like most good places in Montreal and the portions are large, the food substantial but mildly spiced, the harissa about as hot as can be, etc. They have moved their decor more toward ikea a bit but that's a minor complaint and it's still a fine-looking space. In terms of menu I particularly enjoy the brik a l'oeuf and couscous merguez, and desserts. It's true the dishes can seem expensive, but they're large enough for takeaway for a second meal. No one rushes you here and I've found myself among the last to leave several times as good conversation heads late in to the night.

I also live near by their second location (near Rosemont and rue St-Hubert) and about once a month order for takeaway. I haven't had a guest or a friend turn down their nose once at the food, in fact usually it's rave reviews from visitors and Montrealers alike. I've been around the world several times for work and find Nouredine's cooking and personality heartwarming.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“total disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

How disappointing to go for a typical Moroccan supper and to get a tagine served with couscous grain and veges!!! ...and to top it all off (btw bad service, crappy lighting, boring music), the oriental patisserie in the "table d’hôte " was an oatmeal cookie from costco! Oh ya, I forgot: bad price: 90$ for 2, no alcohol included.

Visited February 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“I am disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have visited this restaurant when I lived in Montreal and it was pleasant enough for me to repeat the experience. On the 28th Oct,I have invited a friend for her birthday only to find the place totally lacked ambiance.The food was lacking in flavours and the vegetables were undercooked.There is nowhere to hang coats so all seats were loaded with coats etc..,I was chocked to find the prices terribly inflated,I would not mind but this is not a Michelin Star restaurant!!

So prices up,quality of food down in recent years.It is not a comfortable eating experience!

Keep it cheap and cheerful,these prices are not justified.

• Visited October 2011