“Stay Away!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alpenhaus

Alpenhaus
1279 St Marc, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Centre-Ville (Downtown))
514-935-2285
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Stay Away!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We got to the restaurant with a reservation that had already been made. Upon arrival we sat around for another hour until we were seated at a table. Once at the table we were made to wait for an additional 20 min until water was brought to our table, then another 30 min until the waitress came to ask us for our order. Our order was brought out and the first course was stale bread, with old cheese. cheese which was wayyyyy to sharp. We assumed that the main course could not get worse, which we were wrong. The main course consisted of a tiny little pot of boiling water which could barely hold our fondue sticks, and the plate of raw chicken. The sauces were of poor and small quality. Afterwards, we thought hey, you cant mess up chocolate, can you. Well apparently it is possible. Rather than melting chocolate down, the "swiss chocolate" consisted of powered chocolate and milk, and was about a mm in depth. We requested extra strawberries if possible and were rudely declined. The waitress told us that she put extra bananas in our dessert with a smile on our face. There were 4 slices of Bananas. Overall I have to say that it was the worst dining experience of my life and would much rather go to Mcdonalds in the future than this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Sunapee, New Hampshire
“Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had no reservations, but were found a table and the service was fantastic and the owner took time to talk to us and find out about us

Visited October 2012
“Fondue not worth the price.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Basic Service poor compared to other mid priced restaurants. Fondue not worth the price they are charging for. Better tasting, value, and quality can be found at other "chineese" fondue places; don't know why they even bother offering this on their menu. If you bought a coupon, they charge you the tip on what the meal would normally cost! Total money grab for poor service and food quality. I am really easy going when it comes to restaurants, but I just have to let people know to be aware if they try this place. There are many other fondue places in Mtl., this place could benefit from watching that chef Ramsey show about restaurants.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco
“Avoid it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had one meal there and it was bad. The schnitzel was tasteless and the rosti potatoes, which should be crispy, were flabby and greasy. Want wine by the glass? Your choice is red or white. The coffee, which is supposedly made by the cup, was swill. There was also a useless pianist who did nothing for the dank atmosphere.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
MA
“Try the beef fondue!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Its been awhile years since I've been to Alpenhaus but I still remember it fondly! Between the fun Alps-like decor and the food, I was immediately happy with our dining choice that evening.

The restaurant was pretty dead when we went so we had the waiter pretty much to ourselves and he wandered over to check on us often. He was super hospitable, even walking me to the restroom when I inquired about where they were located.

Onto the best part: food, naturally. The Swiss cheese fondue was very good - but how can carby bread chunks dipped in molten melted cheese be wrong? (And if it is, I don't want to know!) The beef fondue ended up being the highlight because we got a variety of 5 different sauces to dip our cooked meat into and they were all EXCELLENT. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were. The Wienerschnitzel was also quite delicious and I haven't had a better version since.

• Visited October 2011