“Courteous and helpful service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Villa

You added Hotel Villa to your Saves list
Hotel Villa
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   57 Sainte-Catherine Est, Montreal, Quebec H2X 1K5, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Special Price
Take an extra 10% off!
Ranked #125 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Western New York
“Courteous and helpful service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Villa during the third week of July 2012, having found it on the internet. I read some of the reviews and saw that some were negative, but the ideal location overrode my hesitance. The first thing I noted upon arrival was the helpfulness and courtesy of the staff, which influences my opinion greatly. All people that I interacted with at the front desk were friendly and helpful with any questions I had, including directions to different key points in Montreal. They seemed genuinely interested in helping customers have an enjoyable stay and a memorable visit to Montreal. The neighborhood was a bit loud, but in spite of this I felt very safe there. The rooms were clean and equipped with clean amenities. It is a basic place to stay, clean, without too much frills if you want to have an economical but enjoyable stay in Montreal. When I needed help with my luggage from the sixth floor to the taxi upon departure the courteous clerk gladly helped me transport my gear. If I would want to visit Montreal again, they would be the first people I would call. Thanks to the Hotel Villa, I experienced a very memorable vacation. The only problem I had was my TV did not work, but the second time I stayed on my return the TV was in good condition.

Room Tip: rooms on floors 1-5 have elevator; 6th does not; make sure TV in room works before settling in
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Winnie W, General Manager at Hotel Villa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Greetings Debra,

Thank you for posting your review from your stay in our hotel through Trip Advisor.

It was truly a great pleasure to have you here as a guest and we are delighted to hear that we contributed in making your vacation a memorable one.

We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

For the rates charged I had a great stay. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The Hotel is centrally located within walking distance of all the downtown happenings. The room was basic, but it was clean and comfortable. Expect to see some interesting places and characters around, after all you are in the heart of Montreal. Having said this, I never felt unsafe walking the streets till late. If I could add one thing to my wish-list it will be a bathroom in the room.
Overall I enjoyed my stay, staff were friendly and the rates were affordable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Hotel Villa. Our main goal is to offer the best vacational experiences to our guests, and reading this kind of reviews make us feel extremely happy. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future and perhaps put you in a standard room (with private bathroom) the next time around.

Kind regards.
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel is a budget hotel - so when you book it, keep this in mind. It's only $50/night for a budget room (i.e. shared bathroom) and about $60/night for a standard room (bathroom in the room or in the hallway but exclusive use).
We arrived late and the hotel made a mistake with our reservation so they put us in a standard room instead of the budget we paid for. We had the bathroom to ourselves but it was in the hallway. The bathroom was clean - the shower worked fine and there was plenty of hot water.
The room itself is very basic, and fairly small but the high ceilings make it look bigger. Our window looked out to St. Catherine St.
We were there during the Jazz Festival and the Metropolos Theatre is right next to the hotel, so in the evening (probably until 3-4 a.m.) it's very noisy. I would advise bringing ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. The inside of the hotel itself, was surprisngly very quiet - we seldom heard other visitors even though the hotel was completely booked.
The first thing we did was checked the bed for bed bugs signs (this is a standard procedure for us at any hotel), and it was all clean. The bed was comfortable enough for a night's sleep. The room is very basic, but for $50/night, it's fine. It's a budget hotel in a good location (central to shopping on St. Laurent and St. Denis, close to Old Port, and many Bixi stations). The jazz festival was just one block away.
The neighbourhood is a bit shady - there are sex shops and strip bars all around, and at night you may see some interesting characters. But, it's perfectly safe (we never felt unsafe walking around at wee hours of the morning). It's only esthetically displeasing - if you care about this kind of stuff.
Overall, for a budget traveller, this place is totally fine.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room facing away from St. Catherine if you want a room that's a bit mo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
boston,ma.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed during the jazz fesstival and although the rooms are nothing fancy they were clean and in a fantastic location for visiting the festival site. The neighborhood may be a bit shady but there were many people around and we never felt nervous. yeah, the sex shops are all over but you don't have to go in them! Nobody on the street bothered us and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Just don't expect a 4 star hotel experience and you'll be fine! Even though our window faced the main street and it was festival time we didn't have any trouble with excessive noise. I stayed in budget hotels that were much worse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is in a dodgy area with adult stores and sexotheques around the place. There are loads of homeless people on the streets and it sounded like there was a riot on the street outside the first night we stayed there. There were sirens going through a good part of the night. I wore flipflops into the shower and the second night there was some unidentifiable brown substance in the sink in the shared bathroom. The room was freezing, the bed was uncomfortable and every floor in the hotel smells of pot. There have to be better places to stay when on a budget!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at Hotel Villa in Montreal. I went with my boyfriend, and both being university students, we were on a very tight budget. I was a little nervous about bedbugs, the cleanliness, and the neighbourhood because of reviews that I read before going. However, the room was very clean, there were no bedbugs, and I had no problems with the neighbourhood. We got a standard room, which included a bathroom, which was very nice and clean. It came with towels and soap and whatnot. The only thing I was slightly disappointed in was that the hotel room description said there would be an iron, a hairdryer, a mini-fridge, etc. and it had none of those things. I think they were available upon request though. The breakfast cafe on the main floor of the hotel was delightful. The food was amazing, fast service, and inexpensive. The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating to all of our needs. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is on a tight budget and doesn't mind an older room. I know I'll be back if I'm in the area again!

Room Tip: I recommend paying the extra 10 dollars and getting the standard room. From what I've read on th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was in Montreal for 9 days on business with a very tight budget and chose this hotel based solely on price, but I'll be back!

The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are nothing special but seriously, with such a low price you really shouldn't expect a high end room

My room had a comfortable bed, a TV, my own sink, and a dresser. Hooks on the wall were an added bonus as I laid out work clothes in advance on them. My window was huge enough that I spent most nights sitting in the window sill people watching and just enjoying the night.

We had a shared bathroom but there was never an issue with that. It was always clean and available (two per floor).

Yes, the neighbourhood is a bit sketchy, but I knew that in advance as I research cities that I stay in. I still, as a solo woman traveller, was comfortable coming back from the Metro (SO close!!) every night after dark and leaving before 7am for work.

Try the breakfast in the small kitchen area on the main floor - the people are amazing, the prices are good, and the food was a great start to the day.

I think the next time that I'm in Montreal, strict travel budget or not, I'll stay here again and save the money to enjoy the city with.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Villa? Share your experiences!