“Good budget room in central montreal” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Visitel
1617 St Hubert, Montreal, Quebec H2L 3Z1, Canada (Ville-Marie)   |
Ranked #96 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good budget room in central montreal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here last year for a 2 night stay. The best thing about this hotel is - well actually there are quite a few. Let me be short and precise here:

1. Location: A decent place right next to St. Catherine's street. The latin district is where all the fun is plus the restaurants and the clubs and the bars. Not to mention that it a decent hike away from the old port district. So if you are a walker and love to explore cities on foot instead of resorting motor vehicles, this is a very central location to stay at.

2. Front Desk: The lady at the front desk was very helpful. I speak level 2 french but I saw there were people who couldnt speak French at all. The front desk helps you with local sight seeing etc. Very helpful indeed.

3. Parking: There is a parking (indoor) lot right next to the hotel. I think it is cheaper than most places in Montreal, if not the cheapest.

I read some other reviews about people not being satisfied, stolen stuff, etc... All I would like to say is - when you know you are not staying in the Marriotts or the Wyndhams or the Hiltons of the world, it helps to use common sense. Take care of your stuff by keeping them locked at all times (I even do that when I stay 5 star!). If room has some issues, speak to the front desk - thats what room service is for. And have a little bit of patience! Peace :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Me and my girlfriend decided to spend a weekend in Montreal. We are from Boston. We chose Hotel Visitel because of it's central location (close to downtown attractions) and because of the cheap price. I had reserved a room weeks before, and because they were nearly at capacity, I had to settle for one without a bathroom. The facilities would be shared with other guests, but since it was only for one night I thought it was no big deal. Upon arrival and check-in, I was told the price for the room was twelve dollars higher than what I was told on the phone. Whatever. We were led up three flights of stairs (no elevators) to our room on the fourth floor. The room was literally the size of a closet. It barely had room for the bed, a tiny refrigerator, and a small bedside table. The television's wires were crudely hanging on the wall. The floors were tile and the wall had pipes protruding from it, leading me to believe that this was once a bathroom. The walls were paper thin and everything the neighbors did was easily audible. The room was somewhat clean, although I felt the overwhelming need for a shower as soon as we departed, and I refused to use their public shower. The shared restroom was generally clean, but there were no hand towels. There was absolutely no WIFI access. I asked the front desk about this and they replied that "it only worked sometimes". This would have been nice of them to specify on the website since we needed internet access to plan various activities and sights to see around the city. The website clearly states that they have WIFI. Blatant lie. I felt that this place was a scam, and for nearly 80 dollars, definitely not worth it. Next time, my girlfriend and I will spend the additional 20 dollars and get a room in a chain hotel with a bathroom, clean rooms, and WIFI access. Oh and also, there was no cable. I would advise you to avoid this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaluga, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The greatest thing about this hotel is its location and price. It’s located in a few steps from the bus terminal and if you travel to Montreal by bus and don’t want to spend a lot of time travelling from the terminal to the other side of the city, Visitel would be a good option for you. The building of the hotel is quite old and it the interior is far from being luxurious but you pay really good price for what you get. The room is clean and bright. If you’re lucky you can live in a room with a balcony. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the balcony if you are a smoker.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Campinas, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

In Sep'12, I traveled with my wife to Montreal and stayed at Visitel. Despite of some bad reviews we found here, we decided to stay there mainly for the price of the room with privative bathroom. Arriving there, what a good surprise. The room was far from any luxury, but it was big and clean, with no issues I read here. The staff was very nice and we couldn't be better attended. Keeping in mind the price you're paying, it's a very good hotel to stay with an excellent location - just a few steps from Berri-UQAM metro station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked this place ( actually you cannot call it a hotel , it is an old house which has been renovated to become a hotel , which is the case for all the hotels in the same area by the way ) through laterooms.com for 11 nights , i got one double-bed room beds for $75 excluding taxes , which is really much cheaper than other sites ,I paid extra 15 $ per night for one extra bed for my youngest kid , the hotel is managed by a good staff ( Moroccan , Egyptian and one very good Indian ) , the check in was OK , i was booking for a standard room but during check in i asked them for a room with balcony so they upgraded me to junior suite for free , the manager there is really good and cooperative , the main reason i booked this hotel was the it is very close to the berri-uqam metro station , 300 meter , ( the station were all the metro lines connect ) so you can go anywhere from one point , the Suite room was BIG , with flat screen TV , and there is a small room beside it with dining table another TV + fridge + bathtub , there is kettle so you make your own Nescafe or tea , the room has got a good balcony where the kids uses to sit in the morning there is a small AC in the room and u can control it yourself the housekeeping staff are very helpful and always smile to you ,the main disadvantage there was there is no elevator , and my room was in 3rd floor , so prepare yourself for some exercise whenever you want to reach your room , and one more disadvantage was the wireless , it wasn't reaching to 3rd floor , only up to second floor , whenever i need internet i had to go to the reception area , which is ridiculous , the Indian receptionist wearing earring was the most helpful guy in the whole place , the Egyptian guy is awful , he doesn't help at all , the Moroccan guy is really good and trying to help ... and there is one lady who sits in the evening with a good smile on her face , one thing you have to take care for is the room access cards , if you lost them , they will charge you , will keep this as a good option for me in case i visited Montreal again if they will upgrade me for free again :) but i will take a room in second floor

Room Tip: choose a room in second floor , to get good wireless signal , and try to ask for a room with balcony...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

The place is awful. There was no even a wardrobe in suite of two rooms (4 people stayed). A small air conditioneer was only in one room, so the night was awful, hard to breath, tiny rooms contribute to claustrophobia. And yes, free wi-fi is not working there on fourth floor because the router is not reaching it.

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My partner and I were visiting Montréal for a couple of days and chose the Hotel Visitel for its low cost (booked on Laterooms UK). The room was absolutely fine, large enough for two of us, wih a decent bathroom and shower. Service was efficient, check-in and out was no problem whatsoever. Hotel was very eager to return my passport to me after I accidentally left it in my room and they went to every effort to ensure I got it back, so thanks!

All in all, great value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Visitel? Share your experiences!