“Comfortable Unique Hotel in Great Spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kutuma

You added Hotel Kutuma to your Saves list
Hotel Kutuma
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3708 St. Denis Street, Montreal, Quebec H2x 3l7, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Portland
“Comfortable Unique Hotel in Great Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We had a great stay at the Hotel Kutuma, highlighted by the friendly service, comfortable bed and sitting area, and the best bathroom. Got there early and was unable to get in to our room. In the meantime, we were treated to a complimentary, delicious cup of coffee. We were able to leave them our luggage and car, and went off to explore the city on foot and Metro (stop a bit of a walk, but nothing too bad). When we returned our luggage was in our room. The king sized bed was soooo comfortable, but the highlight was the bathroom. There was a huge deep tub with this great showerhead that adjusted to your height, and side panels featuring additional water jets. Very cool. I can't say enough how nice the proprietor was, and I had a great time wandering around the surrounding neighborhood. In fact a few blocks down there is a street closed to traffic, with numerous bars and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at Hotel Kutuma. The hospitality was wonderful. The manager was so gracious. The hotel is near all festivals. There is no need for a bus or cab unless you don't like walking. It is minutes away from downtown and located on St. Denis street which is a trendy, old world charm, and a bohemian type of place. The Ethiopian Restaurant in the hotel was wonderful. Try the Combination Platter #2. My only complaint is the taxes for the hotel and Montreal for that matter. Very expensive and this is coming from someone who lives in Chicago where we have the highest sales tax in the US at almost 11%. Must stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

WOW. Honestly, wow! My husband and I stayed in Kutuma just last month and we were so very pleased. It's not often that you get to really enjoy what it feels like to be welcomed somewhere ( when traveling) with true care and concern of your well being and enjoyment.

Kutuma is a little jewel of a hotel that is located on one of the THE best streets in Montreal ( Rue St. Denis). You have everything you could need at your doorstep - - such a quaint little park next door and the metro two blocks over plus wonderful shops, restaurants and beautiful streets.

The best, most outstanding highlights of Kutuma:

The Staff: they greet you at the door and carry your bags up to your room, they are very personable and will go to very far extremes to help you with your stay. On leaving the hotel, the owner personally packed our car with our luggage in the pouring rain!

The Hotel: Kutuma has a very unique style. Our room was a junior suite - - honestly, it was the most comfortable stay I've ever spent in a hotel. The bed was FANTASTIC! The bathroom ( shower! ) was very unique in style. We had our own little kitchenette and sitting area, as well. The touches that were put in to the room made it a very memorable stay. Also, you could hear no one! The hotel must be built very soundly - - it was like you were in your own little cocoon.

Adjoining restaurant: Kutama has it's own restaurant ( The Blue Nile). The Blue Nile was our first dining experience in Montreal and we were not disappointed! It had a very chic atmosphere/ambiance with a cool, elegant style. The food is Ethiopian and it was delicious! The prices were reasonable and the service was impeccable!

One more personal note that I'd like to add - - there was an unfortunate event that took place when we stayed in Montreal. Two doors down from Kutuma ( second nite of our stay) there was a fire that destroyed one and a half buildings. We found this fire around 7:00 p.m. on a Saturday nite. Kutuma was not available to us ( roped off by police/fire emergency crew). We were very worried about our well being, the hotel's and our belongings. The nite wore on without any information on what to do and where to stay.

Around 11:00 p.m., one of the staff from the hotel saw us in the street and told us to join them at a neighboring restaurant. The owner of the hotel had sent his staff out in to the streets to try to find/locate people that were staying at Kutuma. The owner paid for us to stay in a 5 star hotel for the evening. He, himself, escorted us to the hotel at 12:00 a.m. to make sure the we were safe and sound in our one night stay.

WOW. Do I recommend this hotel.................hell yes. : )

Brookhaven, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

Hotel Kutuma....
I should not write about this hotel, for I am sure there will be a day when I want to return, and there will be no vacancy. Yet, this best kept secret deserves to be recognized for the quality of excellence, pride in ownership, and warm hospitality the staff extends to its guests. Attention to detail and making guests a priority are what makes this little hotel rise above all others. The rooms are beautiful, unique in design and filled with small touches that make you know you have arrived at a very special place. The rooms are more like beautiful apartments, with leather couches, brick walls, stainless steel kitchenettes, and soaking tubs. I stayed in the smallest unit, and was totally comfortable and impressed with the space and design. I then had the opportunity to see the larger rooms, and was even more amazed by the space and layout.
Standards exist in every aspect, beginning with the thoughtfulness and warm hospitality of the owner, Abby. From offering coffee, an umbrella, or assistance with luggage, Abby extends himself with professionalism and kindness. Standards continue with the highest level of cleanliness, safety , and customer care. I had never eaten Ethiopian food, and am so happy I had dinner at the adjoining hotel. The vegetarian combination platter was amazing!. This continued with the complimentary delicious breakfast of fresh fruit, organic eggs, potatoes and vegetables, and freshly brewed ginger tea. If you are lucky, the chef will make his Ethiopian breakfast speciality, and I promise, you will will be crazing this when you return home. This is a special place, at the top of my list of all-time favorite hotels, which I look forward to returning to again and again. I agree with others, I have never stayed at a more wonderful place!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

greeted by friendly staff, fast check in, assisted to room and informed of features of room. room was decorated very nice. had plenty of room, bed very comfortable, small kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave and utensils. everything was clean. felt very secure, nice stay. hotel is about 15 minutes from old Montreal. plenty of places to eat within 3 blocks of hotel.

Stayed July 2009
conroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

This hotel is one of the most unique places I've ever stayed, having a fun African theme. The room was exceptionally quiet and clean. My room was located on the 3rd floor and there were no elevators available, which made it tough, because of my bad knees. The location of the hotel was near a subway stop, which made it easy to sightsee and get around. The listing was supposed to be a Bed and Breakfast, but that wasn't true. There was a dining room downstairs, opened for dinner only.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Hotel Kutuma is absolutely amazing. The location is perfect. It's close to all the great independent shops near Mont Royal and you can easily walk down to St. Catherines or old Montreal. Besides location the hotel itself is beautifully decorated and very modern. The rooms are huge and fully equipped with a kitchenette and living room. The bathroom was gorgeous and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on. The room also had a door to a little patio which was covered with plants. The hotel restaurant is also quite nice. It was by far the best Ethiopian I've ever had. The hotel staff are very nice and accommodating. They even gave us two gourmet cakes after dinner compliments of the hotel. I had a great stay at hotel Kutuma and I will definitely stay there the next time I'm in Montreal.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Kutuma? Share your experiences!