“Love it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kutuma

You added Hotel Kutuma to your Saves list
Hotel Kutuma
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3708 St. Denis Street, Montreal, Quebec H2x 3l7, Canada (Le Plateau Mont-Royal)   |
Ranked #13 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Puerto RIco
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

The hotel is awesome, beautiful, cozy, and has a very good service. I was a little afraid because I could not found enough reviews to make my decision but I took my risk and it was worth it. Also this hotel is in the middle of downtown so every thing is near to the Hotel. I really have a very pleasant stay in this hotel and I really recommended to anyone. The only constraint is that hotel lacks elevator for the four floors that have.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

Fantastic stay at this hotel. The location is great, on the busy Rue St Denis (though the rooms are surprisingly quiet). The rooms are decorated in an african theme, and are really well equipped. We were upgraded into a suite with a fabulous bathroom (whirlpool bath for two) and small kitchen.
The staff were helpful and very polite. The restaurant downstairs is excellent. The only minor problem we had was regarding breakfast. There is no info on it in the hotel information booklet in your room, so we asked at reception what time it was served, and were told half eight til half ten. We were then told we could have it delivered to our room if we wished, but we declined, and said we'd just come down, assuming it would be served in the restaurant. Following morning we came down and a different member of staff was at reception - we were told breakfast was only served in the rooms and had to be reserved the night before. This really hadn't been communicated to us the previous evening so we were a little put out. However, about ten mins later there was a phonecall to our room, and they had prepared us a continental breakfast which arrived soon after.
Overall the room quality and service more than made up for this misunderstanding, but perhaps the management should put info about breakfast in the rooms, or make sure that guests are told about it at check-in.
Would definately stay here again and would recommend to a friend.

• Liked — the room and the service
  • Disliked — confusion about breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

SPOTLESS, helpful staff, wonderful Ethiopian restaurant downstairs. The bathroom was FAB.U.LOUS. The bed was super comfortable and it's in a fab location. I loved this little jewel of a B&B. Worth every nickle. We booked it last minute just for a little getaway and I would return again without hesitation. It's wonderful!

• Liked — It was a perfect romantic getaway!
  • Disliked — There were a lot of stairs..
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

CUTE little hotel with lovely decor, recess lights and wall heaters all around room. It's a deadly cozy full comp little studio with a kitchenette which includes a microwave, fridge, plates and cutlery, kettle and extremly kind and sweet staff. It was my hubby's b'day and they ensured chocos and champagne was waiting for him upon arrival. Lydia was ever so helpful with pointers on where to go. I believe there are only a few rooms (nine) but the touch is so so personal. Full lenght mirrors with makeup zoom mirror in the bathroom (u would be amazed how many chains lack full lenght/head to toe mirrors). Iron/ironing board, cable, disposable tooth brushes, lotion and shampo and a tasty Kutuma brand of coffee which I already miss :(
There is a balcony. View is nothing to write home about but it's just a nice to sit out there.
I hope my review and pictures helps anyone thinking of booking a room here. The price, location and service surpasses most 5 star hotels. You won't be disappointed. Kutuma is on St Denis Street (Rue St Denis) a block away from the Sherbrooke metro on the orange line and very, very close to all the action including walking distance to Old town and downtown.

Stayed April 2008
phila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

After reading all the reviews on the tripadvisor (thanks for all your advice and opinions), we decided to give it a try--

We loved our room-- it was very cozy and we felt like we were in our own small studio!

To update any previous reviews, the bathrooms now have a proper showerhead, so taking a shower was no problem at all!

The service was great-- very friendly and genuine people-- even gave us a big umbrella as a souvenir, which they provide at the hotel entrance for the convenience of the guests.

I did hear that the restuarant downstairs is great but did not have enough time to go try it-- so many good restaurants in this city~

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

Just returned from a great weekend stay at Hotel Kutuma. The hotel is in a great location - close to restaurants, shopping and night life. Our room was very comfortable and nicely furnished as was the entire hotel. Even though it is a small establishment (9 guest rooms) we felt completely safe and secure. The highlight of the hotel is definitely the staff - we found them to be always pleasant and willing to offer assistance. They really went the extra mile. The hotel lobby is currently under construction but it in no way impacted our experience. My only regret is that I didn't get to try the hotel restaurant but I will definitely make that a priority next time I visit.

• Liked — The location and amazing staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2007

Was sick of staying in boring big chains for my Montreal business trips and Kutuma got great reviews on Trip Advisor. It lived up to my expectations. I can't believe how nice everything was for the price.
- Great location on St. Denis.
- The African theme is fun and well-executed.
- The hotel upgraded my room upon arrival so I ended up with a gorgeous junior suite with balcony for my $115/night. Incredible deal.
- The bed rivals the Westin's dream bed, soft music is playing when you arrive in your room.
- there was a complimentary disposable toothbrush for each night of my stay in addition to the regular creams and shampoos, etc. I've forgotten my toothbrush tons of times when traveling so I thought that was cool.
- Complimentary big bottle of Kutuma-brand bottled water.
- There was a funky kitchenette not only in my jr. suite but also in my colleague's standard queen room.
- The staff was really helpful and friendly.
- The dinner downstairs at the Nil Bleu was really good. -Complimentary desert was a nice touch.
- There's no elevator but there are only 4 floors so no big deal for me.
I'm giving this hotel a 5 despite the 2 issues below because frankly I really enjoyed myself and the value was amazing.
- I couldn't get an internet connection (the wireless is free, which is great, but I couldn't get a connection and asked for a cable to plug into the connection directly, they gave me one and hooked up my computer for me but that didn't work either - i gave up and didn't bother asking again)
- There is no shower (i don't see why they don't just add a hook up on to the wall since there is a hand held shower) and because everyone is taking giant baths in the soaker tubs instead, there was no water at all on our first morning and no hot water on the second. Also, my plug didn't work (I didn't complain though so don't know if it would have been fixed or if I would have been offered a new room) From a convenience and an environmental standpoint (think of all the extra water massive tubs take to fill vs. a quick shower) this sucked.

• Liked — Great rooms, ridiculously comfy bed, fun decor, fantastic service.
  • Disliked — internet problems, water problems.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Kutuma? Share your experiences!