“Trendy and comfy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Montreal

You added W Montreal to your Saves list
W Montreal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Victoria Square, Montreal, Quebec H2Z 1R1 , Canada (Quartier International)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #24 of 162 Hotels in Montreal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Trendy and comfy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and chose the W hotel for our pre wedding and wedding night. We invited all our out of town guests to stay at the hotel as well. The hotel made special arrangement to accommodate us and our guests with a special group price, an excellent service and a private access to all the hotel amenities for a photoshoot.

We had the Mega rooms which are more spacious with large open bathrooms and large sunny windows. The bed is sooooo comfy you'd wanna stay in forever. The design is very modern and trendy throughout the hotel. The prices are on the higher end as it is expected from a Starwood property but it is well worth it for a short stay.

I cannot comment on the restaurant, the spa or the bar as we did not get to use them.

Room Tip: the upgrade to a Mega room is well worth it as you get a much bigger bathroom and these rooms get wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Congratulations again on your wedding. Glad you celebrated this special occasion with us.
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive feedback. We hope you will get a chance to try our Spa and restaurant in the near future.

Thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back!

Your W Montreal Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We are big fans of Starwood and had never stayed at a W property before. This hotel is located about 5 minutes east of the central train station in Victoria Square, which borders on "new" Montreal (easy walking distance to the busy shopping area of St. Catherine Street, which is a 10 minute walk north) and Old Montreal (which is about a 10 minute walk south).

We booked a Wonderful room and were given room 717, which faces on to St. Antoine Street. The room was very modern with a king bed, desk, closed bathroom (as opposed to a more open concept) and glass shower that looked into our room. The room was clean and nicely decorated. My only complaint regarding the room would be the lack of privacy in regards to the bathroom. Although designing the shower so that you can view it from your room is tres sexy, it doesn't leave much in terms of privacy - it would be nice to have a retractable curtain or blinds when some level of privacy is wanted. Additionally, the toilet was situated in the direct line of sight behind the flimsy shower curtain, so if the curtain to the shower wasn't perfectly aligned in the doorway, I could essentially see my partner use the washroom from my bed.

We found the staff helpful and pleasant from check in, to concierge and doorman and overall had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've stayed at the W several times, and was pleased to see the service was just as good recently as it's always been.

I was upgraded to a Mega room, thanks to my SPG Gold status. The room was big and comfortable, and the bathroom was huge. The bed was very comfy.

Service for all requests was handled quickly and with a super positive attitude.

Room service was excellent. Fast and delicious. Yes, a bit pricey, but it's pricey everywhere.

I've read a lot about the noise here, and experienced it during past visits. This visit, maybe because it was over Christmas, was very quiet. The hotel seemed empty - which was excellent.

So on most stuff, excellent.

But the room was a bit rundown. The TV base was broken, and the screen angled toward the floor. The white bathroom floor tiles were scuffed in many places. The toilet seat was loose, as was the faucet handle on the sink. Not major, but for this price, a bit more attention to detail could be paid.

I'd stay again. The bed and the service matter most to me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We will share your comments with our Team and also follow up with our engineering team to follow up on room maintenance. We will undergo complete room renovations in 2014.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

To be fair this is a nice property, just outside the downtown area of Montreal but a number of shortcomings. I booked a fantastic suite expecting to get what the industry calls a suite but I got a relatively small room with a very large (and beautiful) bathroom and loads of unuseable space at the entrance (with no room upgrade possibility). I paid to upgrade to what the front staff referred to as the "presedential suite" but got what I call a standard suite, a very nice one but similar to other suites in starwood hotels. This is a privatley owned W by the building next door and very obvious that the staff are told to hold back and charge extra for everything (a nickel and dome hotel). The doorman refused to speak English to me, and I found it shocking that the hotel is mixed up in the polictical situation in Quebec. The real suite that we paid to get into was relaxing, and the service when requesting things during the stay was impeccable. In general the staff were friendly and accomodating. The room had many things broken and water damage all over the desks, which should not be there for this level of hotel. If I were to stay here again I would book the real suite now that I know which one to book. That said, there are many many other hotels in Montreal that are much better than this one for the money you are going to pay, so I reccomend trying another one, even if you are loyal to SPG. I give the overall oxperience two thumbs down - the reason I rated poor is that I did not get the room I booked and they did not fix it without me having to pay more for another room - in the hotel business I call that dishonest

Room Tip: the Fantanstic suites are only bedrooms, not suites and are quite small. If you want a suite with a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations that other Starwood properties have provided you. I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. All our Talents are bilingual and we will make sure that all our guests are answered in the language of choice.
We would like to take this opportunity to correct some information concerning our ownership - We are owned and managed by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide and SPG statuses are recognized with all benefits recognized. We truly want to give the best service to all our guests and SPG members -please know that whenever possible we do provide upgrades and we appreciate your loyalty and strive to recognize that loyalty whenever possible.

Since your overall experience did not meet your expectations, we would like the chance to speak with you about your stay - We know that our Front Desk Manager sent you an email to discuss further but feel free to contact us also at wmontreal@whotels.com so we can work together to resolve this.
W Montreal Manager
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed here for first time while in Montreal for business early-December. Normally stay at the Sheraton or Westin, but thought I'd give the W a try as the others I'd classify as average. The location I'd rate as ok, sort of halfway between touristy old Montreal and the other hotel district closer to Ste.Catherine St/Crescent St. Worked fine for my business meetings, taking a taxi vs walking maybe 75% of the time.

Check-in was smooth and was upgraded to a city-view king room, which I enjoyed given that the room itself was HUGE! Yes the styling is quite modern, and the lighting quite funky (ie. kind of dark), but the room and bed was comfortable, and the view nice. Admittedly the window and the curtain instead of a wall/door for the large bathroom is strange, but less so for solo or couples. As others mention, there is a private water closet.

The gym is good, not large, but was quiet and sufficient for what I needed while there.
The lobby is busy/loud on some nights, but I have to say the room was near pin-drop quiet throughout my Wed-Sat stay, other than some loudmouth drunks leaving their room across the hallway one night. And finally, service was friendly and helpful across the board. I'd likely stay again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback you have provided. It's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their business travels. We are glad to see that you loved your room and our W signature bed.
Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stayed here on a few occasions and, as always, I received top notch service and amenities. The great experience started with Catherine the front desk attendant that checked me in and continued until my departure. I am a local but choose to stay here for special occasions every once in a while. Can't beat location and cool factor of this hotel!

• Stayed December 2013
austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here couple years a go I am not going to say is good or bad but I will say it is not my style as SPG member. The W hotels are not for anybody specially not families, so many people complain about the prices they charge for drinks and food all Big name Hotels charge the same. Montreal has so many good places to eat with reasonable prices I travel a lot I never eat at any hotel I know some people have no choice and people also complain about how expensive the drinks are, my self I don't and I never put alcohol in my mouth they will never get any Pennie from me for that if you are in to cocktails and martinis ect.. Than don't complain those waiters they see you as a target and the like to get as much as they can from you but I am not blaming them that's there job like everyone else. For me that life style of bars and alcohol is a joke. For the W Montreal I will not pay more than $150 a night If you pay more than that than you need to stay somewhere else is better because this Hotel it's not worth it the hotel has night club full of young people if you are in to that that's your place I will never stay here again one time only for me and my wife.

Room Tip: If you stay here I hope you like it but if you do stay you definitely Need the top floor as high as...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. W Montreal is located near restaurants and bars in one of the trendiests areas in Montreal - everything is walking distance.
We also have on site bars and a restaurant that have a great reputation in the city - we have different options for our guests and make sure to satisfy all types of requests.

Thank you for your comments.

Your W Montreal Manager

Been to W Montreal? Share your experiences!