“Savory cheese roll with herbs? Drool.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bar a Beurre

Bar a Beurre
350 rue Notre-Dame E. | H2Y 1C7, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1B7, Canada (Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal))
(514) 875-0707
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 106 Coffee & Tea in Montreal
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Bakeries
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Montreal, Canada
“Savory cheese roll with herbs? Drool.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

So - I preface this review with the very strong view that buttercream frankly ain't all that awesome(GASP - I know, it's the holy grail of icings to some). It's just too sweet to carry flavours well. That being said - most products at this lovely little bakery are made with a buttercream frosting. THAT being said - given my dislike of the frosting my thoughts on some of their items are biased.

My absolute worth the detour of 2.5 km on a beautiful sunny day, or even in the snow would be :

The savoury cheese roll (like a cinnamon roll, but not? Is that a Danish? whatever) - Hints of thyme, nice random pieces of cheese, and the strong, delicious taste that this pastry dough was indeed make with BUTTER- each bite can vary, making the flavours stand out. Whopping 2.50$ and the thing is huge - I shared with a friend. (we just did yoga after all. We had to be a little reasonable)

Goes without saying the croissant is also artery clogging delicious. Crispy too... mmmm.. 2$ (As an aside, when did croissants become so de rigeur that there's a snootiness to them now? Making some upwards of 4-5$?... rant over)

The cheesecake is my kind too - a thick crust (about 50/50 crust to filling so you have to like a lot of crust)- topped with fresh berries. The last one I had was blueberry compote with raspberries. My 2 favourite berries - and none of those unripe, sweetened with sugar berries. 3.50$

I also bought the multigrain bread - it was tasty and had the nice seeds that you get to pop while eating, but not the best I've ever had. 4$ - No slicer in store.

I've also had their giant oreo - the Italian peach cookies (or boules a beurre), various cakes, shortbread cookies etc. Outside of the shortbread which was really delicious - the other items are buttercream iced, so less my taste. I had a coupon so I chose to explore their offerings.

It's unfortunate for reviewer S385 because I've bought 2 groupons for this place and never had a problem with my purchase. I hope the manager was able to resolve it for them. If not then yes that sucks - but like I said, I had 2 coupons and there was not a problem. Keep in mind if the merchant is not honoring the coupon, contact groupon and they will assist with a resolution or refund. It might be 10$ - but that's 10$ you worked hard for dangit!

If you go I hope you enjoy!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Small and sugary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I had purchased a coupon for high tea and made a reservation as per the coupon. When we arrived a customer had taken out reserved table and would not give it up- the staff were very lovely and not only gave us high tea on the house but allowed us to order what ever we wanted while we waited.
The high tea was good, more sugary sweet than savory. Lovely little place in the old port, if you are near it and have a sweet tooth, check it out.

Visited February 2014
Montreal
“Does not honor groupon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Got the Groupon since I figure I would try out their macarons. It was stated on the Groupon that it was for pastry and bakery goods. The lady told me no you can't have macarons with your Groupon with no further explanations when I was standing there in person with my Groupon in hand. Last time I checked macarons are part of pastry and bakery goods. Waste of time and energy. Won't be going back. If you put up a Groupon, honor it, or just don't put one up.

• Visited May 2014
Montreal
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

The place is nicely decorated. It's small but cozy and it sells some interesting items. I got some pastries and drinks.

The drinks: I got mint iced tea. It did not taste minty at all. It was just like having weak and cold tea. My friend got raspberry lemonade which had no lemon flavour. So it's a fail for the drinks.

The pastries: I'd heard that the Beurreo (which is a twist on an Oreo cookie) was a must. So I ordered it along with some other pastries to bring to a friend. The icing in the Beurreo was good; buttery as expected. The problem are the cookies. The two cookies are too tick. Hence the ratio cookie vs icing is not well proportioned. Since the cookies do not have a great taste to them, the treat ends up not tasting that good. I actually removed one of the cookies and it was better. The other pastries were ok, but the girl did not get my roder correctly. Of course, I only saw it when I opened the box at my friend's house.

I'm glad I tried it but I will not be going back. I love desserts but they have to be worth the calories... and the money. I really wanted to love it because it looked so good!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
canada
“exquisite treats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Some of the best treats in Montreal. baked daily and fresh. cozy little place in Old Montreal. Family own business that will make you feel welcomed.
cheers!!!