“Could be great but obviously in need of an intervention... Hell's Kitchen style” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Mais

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were there on a Saturday evening -- along with every single other mile-ender between the ages of 25 and 30.

When we got there the place was full and we were asked to put our names down with our phone numbers to be called when a table would be available. We were given an estimate of a 30 minute wait time and invited to go across the street to Sparrow for a drink in the meantime.

Once seated, the large communal table was rather awkward; you're likely to brush butts with your neighbor just as much as you are to knock elbows while eating.

Service was friendly but that did not make up for the wait time to get 1) menus and 2) our tacos. We literally waited, starving, for an hour before our meal finally came after asking the waiter to check up on it.

Our meal was rather disappointing. I was excited that a taqueria finally opened up in Montreal, but these tacos were bland and simply do not compare to others that I have tasted elsewhere.

The decor was well thought out and noteworthy, but that may be the only redeeming feature and certainly not worth a repeat.

All in all, the wait time is what is going to kill this place if they do not get their act together. It doesn't make sense that a place with essentially one item on the menu can't keep up with the demand.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Not worth it but has potential.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm basing my experience off two visits. Both were with groups, my second experience was only slightly better than the first. Food: if the idea of gourmet tacos doesn't feel like an oxymoron to you then you're in the right place. Their tacos vary in quality and taste, their fish tacos are delicious the rest, not so much. Best value is the family/friend deal, a bowl of beef is served with tortillas, feeds 5 a decent price but it wasn't great meat.

Appetizers are so so. Avoid the wings. Scallop choice was excellent.

Service: the worst. Both times the experience was very poor. Although our waiter did seem to lighten up after r our choices were made (probably because we were spending over 150$), we still had to wait an hour for a spot. Second time we called ahead, they said they'd make room at a requested time. We arrived only to wait 50 minutes. They also won't serve you at the bar unless you have a spot.

There are better restos in the area, but it is hard to find tacos that remind me of actual Mexican experiences. I hope the staff is changed and this place matures more as the summer season comes in.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Non merci!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My friend wanted to try this place for her birthday. There was a 45 minute wait. They took our number and name and told us to go wait at Sparrow. An hour and thirty minutes later, we call them and they seemed to have forgotten about us or lost our info. 20 minutes later they call us with a 'table'. We are seated after almost 2 hours of waiting at the bar. And not even next to each other - I was on one side of a corner, the birthday girl was on the other with a MASSIVE column between us so we couldn't even converse easily. So I go back to the unfriendly host guy and ask if we can have another place. His answer? "What you get it what you get." How kind! I see a table being unused nearby and ask the owner if we can sit there. He tells me those are 'waiting tables'. So we get seated at the bar, which is usually a place for WAITING...but we can't sit at the unused table right next to us. The host guy comes back to us and offers us space at another bar. Before we had the chance to respond, he said very impatiently "You have to make up your mind right now, there are other people waiting." We left after that and it was so late that we settled for Comptoir 21, a fish and chips place around the corner. (Better service!)
In conclusion, ridiculous, terrible experience. In the words of another reviewer - never again.

• Visited February 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Bad service, Average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I heard really good things about this place so I decided to pay a visit.
The place was small but packed; the host came towards us telling us it would be a 15 minutes wait. 20 minutes later I check with the host and with a horrible attitude he tells me that it would be 30 min as he told me... so I ask” “30 more minutes or only 10 more”.... and he does not even bother to answer. 5 minutes later he points us towards a table.
It took a very long time for us to get menus, then a waiter for our order, and then we got the starter before the drinks, then a long time to get the tacos.
Tacos were average at best for anyone that has a palate: Carnitas was way too salty, pulled pork lacked in moisture etc...
Overall the place was not worth the wait and the food quality did not make up for the bad service.
I know we are desperate for a nice tacos place in Montreal but this ain't it.

Pluses:
- Good decor for a junk food joint
- Good drinks

Minuses:
- Obnoxious host
- Bad service
- Very slow service for tacos (2 hours for 6 tacos)
- Average food

It is a clone of Carnita for those who have been to Toronto.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Horrible service, the host is antisocial, cold and no people skills. From the get go you feel a bad energy and get treated poorly, after an hour wait we get our table, it was so tight my elbows were rubbing on the person next to me. We waited another hour for 3 tacos that were very average, I had many much tastier tacos then that. Please a taco, you would expect in 20-25min max to get your food.
Atmosphere is ok, you can get that and much better in many places in Montreal.

the host definitely ruins it all.

• Visited January 2013